Stephen Jones on Tom Brady: "Not even a thought."

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Brady is still under contract until next month. If the Cowboys have interest, Stephen would not be able to express it. So, this is kind of a stupid question/tweet.
That would certainly explain why Mike would follow up with specifying it was nobody within the Cowboys organization.....if it ever actually happened.........allegedly.
:laugh:

zerofill

Reaction score
I was saying before... you give me say... 39yr old Brady.... I would start thinking about it. Right now... not so sure. I mean I am sure he can play still. I am sure he would do well with the talent we have on offense.
But, what a short term deal that would be... Just doesn't make sense. If you were moving on from Dak, you would do that in the draft and compete in camp/pre-season.

As much as I would love to see a prime Brady with this team... it doesn't compute.

cern

Reaction score
What else is he supposed to say? He literally just came out and stated that contract talks with Dak were "heating up".

Talk is cheap. I think it's silly that anyone takes either Stephen or Irvin seriously.
Just curious. Do you interpret "heating up" as getting close to a deal or fixing to get gnarly. Or possibly something altogether different.

InTheZone

Reaction score
And again, they will talk up their pets and coaches until they're no longer with the team. Actions will speak louder than words.

IF they have convinced themselves though that there's no Dak replacement out there we are doomed for the next 3-6 years, depending on whatever contract he gets

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I suppose thoughts can change as the impasse continues, but...

All the Prescott haters who are still in denial that Jerry, Stephen, McCarthy and Nussmeier all are 100% sold on Prescott will undoubtedly say that Stephen never said the Cowboys never have given signing Brady a thought and then play wannabe GM's and give their "expert" opinions on why the Cowboys shouldn't sign Prescott.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
All the Prescott haters who are still in denial that Jerry, Stephen, McCarthy and Nussmeier all are 100% sold on Prescott will undoubtedly say that Stephen never said the Cowboys never have given signing Brady a thought and then play wannabe GM's and give their "expert" opinions on why the Cowboys shouldn't sign Prescott.
It's been Dak from Day 1 and will be Dak til Day End.
Everyone else is projecting and/or hoping.

SSoup

Reaction score
I doubt any team would break the bank for the 43 year old brady. I thought it was a ridiculous assertion when I first heard it. Perhaps someone was just trying to make Michael look foolish.
If the "break the bank" part of the Brady equation is true, yeah, it doesn't make sense to sign Brady. We're assuming he forced his way to the open market to get paid stupid money that the Patriots know better than to pay him at this point. If so, I'd want no part of that. Not many teams should want any part of that because it just doesn't make sense.

It could make sense for teams like the Chargers or Raiders, doing it purely for marketing purposes in a city that has yet to devote itself to them. It could even make a certain amount of sense for a team that wants to make unpopular moves to shed unwise long-term contracts and commence a massive rebuilding effort, but adding the big shiny Tom Brady name pacifies and distracts the fans or local media from giving them too hard a time about it.

It makes not much sense for teams doing it for actual football reasons, though.

For three straight years, he's been worse than he was the previous season. His completion percentage and his yards per attempt are down, both -- which is so much worse than one of them being good at the expense of the other. And he's gonna be 43. And he's gonna be in a totally new environment and offense. And he's gonna be in an organization without Belichick's discipline or good decision-making.

He's trending down and it's likely to only get ugly.

Only suckers will be in line to get caught holding the bag, I think.

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
Just curious. Do you interpret "heating up" as getting close to a deal or fixing to get gnarly. Or possibly something altogether different.

Honestly? I took it as smoke. I don't believe they're any closer than the other 15 times they've talked about a contract with Dak.

I've been leaning towards the notion that the Cowboys aren't entirely sold on Dak, over the reported 30-34mil range.

RoboQB

Reaction score
I look at that quote "not even a thought" and feel like
it can be applied to any question Stephen is asked.

Just sayin'.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
If the "break the bank" part of the Brady equation is true, yeah, it doesn't make sense to sign Brady. We're assuming he forced his way to the open market to get paid stupid money that the Patriots know better than to pay him at this point. If so, I'd want no part of that. Not many teams should want any part of that because it just doesn't make sense.

It could make sense for teams like the Chargers or Raiders, doing it purely for marketing purposes in a city that has yet to devote itself to them. It could even make a certain amount of sense for a team that wants to make unpopular moves to shed unwise long-term contracts and commence a massive rebuilding effort, but adding the big shiny Tom Brady name pacifies and distracts the fans or local media from giving them too hard a time about it.

It makes not much sense for teams doing it for actual football reasons, though.

For three straight years, he's been worse than he was the previous season. His completion percentage and his yards per attempt are down, both -- which is so much worse than one of them being good at the expense of the other. And he's gonna be 43. And he's gonna be in a totally new environment and offense. And he's gonna be in an organization without Belichick's discipline or good decision-making.

He's trending down and it's likely to only get ugly.

Only suckers will be in line to get caught holding the bag, I think.
Comp % and YPA kind of go hand in hand. Lower comp % is generally goimg to result in a lower YPA because it means more plays with 0 yards gained.

SSoup

Reaction score
Comp % and YPA kind of go hand in hand. Lower comp % is generally going to result in a lower YPA because it means more plays with 0 yards gained.
I think the opposite is true.

I think throwing more short passes boosts the completion percentage while dampening the average per attempt. And I think throwing more long balls results in a dampened completion percentage because they're hardest passes to complete, but the ones you do complete boost the average.

Swagger

Reaction score
The reality is that no team will give up 1st round draft picks for Prescott when those teams most likely to do so are in a position to draft a better QB for a fraction of the price.

So, we will most likely be lumbered with him for the next 5-6 years.

A horrific thought but it's on the cards. Just have to hope we can build a top 5 defense to have a chance to genuinely compete.

Last edited:

shabazz

Reaction score
The absence of a contract is very telling. It tells us that the FO isn't truly sold on Dakota. They will franchise him and draft his replacement.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This was a really dumb idea anyway. The idea that a team like the Cowboys would sign a 43 yr old QB - Brady is 3 years older than Romo - was silly to begin with. I bet Brady's agent started the rumor to help jack up his client's value if he wants to play another year.
Agreed. Brady is totally washed up in my opinion. He’s become one of the many great athletes like Muhammad Ali, Johnny Unitas, Joe Namath, and even Jason a Witten who are HOFers, yet don’t know when it’s time to hang ‘em up. Brady is the GOAT at QB but he is finished. If I was a GM I wouldn’t sign him.