Stephen Jones podcast with Ed Werder, doesn't seem happy with JG

aikemirv

Reaction score
Part of it is depth once you make it past 1 string the talent level falls off tremendously. Depth is a FO issue then a coaching issue a coach can only coach what he is given if you A-1 starters and scrubs for back ups guess what when you start losing starters your talent level drop precipitously. Depending on the position you may be able to "coach" around it for a while.

I agree with that. The problem with the Cowboys is that the Coaches are more knowledgeable about players than the owner and GM and thus the GM has to really rely on there input. Their input may be leading them down the wrong path. Are coaches overruling scouts or are scouts making mistakes?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stephen Jones podcast with Ed Werder, doesn't seem happy with JG
Thanks for the recap. Good stuff in there.

But, your title is misleading. You intrepet what you think Stephen is thinking which may not be true. In fact Stephen could view last year as a organizational failure not specifically as a HC failure. That being said, you could be right. There are different ways to view info given in a interview.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pretty much vintage Stephen here.

It is interesting to hear them talk about Dak's preference for precise route running, and that being part of the thinking behind the addition of Hurns. Whether you believe it's an issue or not, it sounds like it's something Dak has requested.

slick325

Reaction score
Pretty much vintage Stephen here.

It is interesting to hear them talk about Dak's preference for precise route running, and that being part of the thinking behind the addition of Hurns. Whether you believe it's an issue or not, it sounds like it's something Dak has requested.

That was my interpretation as well.

kevm3

Reaction score
I don't like the fact that it seems like the team is already locked in on Dak, talking contracts etc.
If he repeats the performance of his soph year then I want a new QB, how many yrs do we have to wait?

How do we know what any QB will bring to the table with this coaching staff. As heralded as Tony Romo is, he went no further than Prescott in the playoffs during his entire career here. Goff was a bust until they moved Fisher out of the picture and McVey came in. This needs to be a make it or break it year for Garrett and if we don't get in the the championship game, Dak at least deserves another coach before we consider anything contractual.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Stephen watched Philly happen without its starting QB, LT, MLB, RB, and CB.

The Dak stuff was based purely on hope. There is nothing about Dak so far that remotely resembles Troy Aikman. Troy had a powerful and accurate arm and he was most comfortable in the pocket. That is the polar opposite of Dak.
He also had a HOF WR in his prime and a tight end that was dynamic and made plays.

Oh, and a top 5 defense.

Dak has no standout WR, and a HOF player at TE that is a shell of his former self.

And a below average defense.

Dre11

Reaction score
How do we know what any QB will bring to the table with this coaching staff. As heralded as Tony Romo is, he went no further than Prescott in the playoffs during his entire career here. Goff was a bust until they moved Fisher out of the picture and McVey came in. This needs to be a make it or break it year for Garrett and if we don't get in the the championship game, Dak at least deserves another coach before we consider anything contractual.

And he went no further than Garrett,Romo,or Dak

cern

Reaction score
I think Stephen's a very sharp young man. but he still has to follow daddy who's the captain of the ship. if the reins were totally turned over to stephen, I think he'd make mcclay the gm and fire garrett, letting the new gm vet a new hc who would be allowed to bring in his own staff as he saw fit. Stephen doesn't suffer daddy's hubris.

Dre11

Reaction score
He also had a HOF WR in his prime and a tight end that was dynamic and made plays.

Oh, and a top 5 defense.

Dak has no standout WR, and a HOF player at TE that is a shell of his former self.

Exactly, it had everything to do with the depth they had

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Well the results speak for themselves.................8 yrs.............1 Wildcard playoff win

Team has also missed the playoffs roughly 75% of the time since Garrett became the head coach.

These are all facts...........these are the results Garrett has produced in his NFL coaching career.

kevm3

Reaction score
If Stephen actually turned over the reigns to McClay and backed off, I'd thank God for such a blessing.

erod

Reaction score

Oh, and a top 5 defense.

Dak is throwing for about 150 yards a game. He has no pocket presence at all and a weak, inaccurate arm.

Dallas failed to score 10 points in three consecutive critical midseason games, and managed 12 against Seattle and only 6 in the finale against Philly's third stringers.

It's not comparable.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
It's probably just giving Dak a vote of confidence. A young QB needs to know he has the confidence of the FO and coaching staff, or he'll be pressing, trying to do too much.

I hope it's that and he doesn't actually think he resembles Aikman...at all.

Of course, the vote of confidence thing still kind of undercuts one of his supposedly best traits...poise.

Dre11

Reaction score
Well the results speak for themselves.................8 yrs.............1 Wildcard playoff win

Team has also missed the playoffs roughly 75% of the time since Garrett became the head coach.

These are all facts...........these are the results Garrett has produced in his NFL coaching career.

No other coach has done any better the other 18 years. That’s also facts

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was listening to the Domsday Podcast with Matt Mosley and Ed Werder last night. Werder did a one on one interview with Stephen which lasted a solid 20 minutes. I found some of what he said pretty interesting especially in regards to the JG:

Team has underperformed given the talent level and should be perennial playoff contenders and competing for championships.

Team has not handled adversity well and zero excuses for injuries/no Zeke. He said injuries are a part of every NFL teams season and you have to adapt on the fly, mentioned the way the Eagles responded and not just at QB.

No position is off limits in the first round except for probably QB/RB and will take BPA/highest player ranked on their board if it's close. He said teams get in trouble when they reach due to need.

Has huge confidence in Dak and thinks he is a franchise QB. He said his style of play compares more closely to Troy Aikman rather than Tony Romo. Dak is better running a system than improvising on the fly. He anticipates Daks next contract to resemble franchise QB money.

He is pleased with the FA moves done so far. He still believes 100% in the philosophy of building through the draft and that most free agents are vastly overpaid. He did admit that last year they did a poor job in FA.

No word on Z. Martins contract. Had very little to say about Dez, only that he thinks very highly of him as a player and a person and they will be getting together soon to talk.

Maybe because it was a one on one podcast with Werder, Stephen sounded more relaxed and less defensive with the Q&A. What really jumped out at me was his indirect shot at JG. When you talk about a team underperforming and not handling adversity well that speaks directly to the HC. This is a far cry from the lollipops and rainbows talk his father usually uses in regards to JG. If this has already been posted I missed it and sorry for rehashed info. Oh and don't shoot the messenger.:)

More fuel to the Stephen/Garrett issue. Notice Stephen praises Dak and Garrett criticizes Dak. Garrett wants to deflect blame from himself.

The real son always wins over the red-headed stepson in the end.

I agree that if you said which style between Aikman and Romo is the best for Dak to emulate, it's definitely Aikman.

Aikman
WRs run exact routes and get open by the QB and receivers being in sync.

Romo
Adlib until somebody gets open. Draw up plays in the dirt.

Aikman would not have tolerated WRs being clueless.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Dak is throwing for about 150 yards a game. He has no pocket presence at all and a weak, inaccurate arm.

Dallas failed to score 10 points in three consecutive critical midseason games, and managed 12 against Seattle and only 6 in the finale against Philly's third stringers.

It's not comparable.

You're right. Dak in his rookie year buried anything Aikman did in his. Jimmy was even flirting with starting Walsh over him. How'd that turn out?

Dak has a strong arm. Needs to work on his footwork to improve accuracy. Kids a leader, works hard and wants to get better.

I think Aikman was one of the best of all time. Doesn't get as much credit as he should because he wasn't asked to put up gaudy stats.

Is Dak Aikman? Aikman was a HOFer. Dak can be, at worst, a top 10 QB. At best, makes a few pro bowls. That is my opinion.