Stephen Jones Supports Changing Overtime Rules

Big_D

Reaction score
WOW Make a dam stop.. you lost at that point. if you cant stop a team from driving right down the field or at least hold them to field goal what more do people want? Even this rule is heading towards some politically correct BS. KC learned the hard way that their D sucks.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Stephen Jones Supports Changing Overtime Rules:

“I certainly tend to lean toward the new rule. . . . I certainly watched every play of that Kansas City-New England game, and you kind of would have liked to have seen what would have happened if Kansas City got another shot at it, and then how the thing would have ended up. It was football, in my mind, the game at its best. I certainly don’t have a problem with guaranteeing each team a shot at it. . . . It’s certainly something that had some traction there in the room, and certainly saw some people who were very interested in it. But we’ll get on a call there, take a long, hard look at it, and I’m sure membership’s gonna get to see it."

I mean didn't the Chiefs "get a shot at it"? A shot to play bloody defense.....

Last time I checked defense is supposed to be as much a part of football as offense. If the Chiefs could actually play defense, they wouldn't have needed the ball again after putting up 31 points in the second half.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I mean idk...I'm in favor of changing it too. Let them play until time runs out. Cant remember who we played but I think we got to OT and we never even got a chance to get on the field because the other team scored on the first possession. That sucked

We got on the field on defense but the defense failed to get the job done. That's football.

If we want both teams to have a possession then just do the college OT rules. On one hand, NFL fans don't like it because it's "not real football". But when an NFL team wins the game on the first possession of "real football" they complain that the other team didn't get a possession.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Oh, Americans can't handle ties even in a regular season game. They'd rather have a contrived win - like the 5 minutes of silliness followed by a shoot out that takes place in the NHL - than *GASP* a game that ends in a tie.

I know right? God-forbid that a....TIE....happens. That's such a foreign idea. Sidenote, the NFL didn't have regular season overtime until 1973 according to Google. So, I'm fine with the NFL just saying let's go to that again.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Personally I think they should play one more quarter and the one who scores the most wins.

If they can't win in that scenario then first to scorer a TD wins. But both teams get the ball.

dagreat1_87

Reaction score
We got on the field on defense but the defense failed to get the job done. That's football.

If we want both teams to have a possession then just do the college OT rules. On one hand, NFL fans don't like it because it's "not real football". But when an NFL team wins the game on the first possession of "real football" they complain that the other team didn't get a possession.

I'd personally like to see both teams get a chance to score. If your defense couldn't stop them and your offense couldn't score the next time, then you deserve to lose at that point. I think many OT are decided by the coin toss because we know the other teams defense sucks

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We could always adopt the ridiculous NCAA version which is the most absurd rule in all of sports.

No, the NFL has already tweaked OT with getting a possession if only score a FG. I prefer sticking with Sudden Victory if you score a TD or revert back.

OT afterall just extends an opportunity to win the game . Otherwise I’d just as soon return back to ending the game in a tie unless it’s the playoffs.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
We could always adopt the ridiculous NCAA version which is the most absurd rule in all of sports.

No, the NFL has already tweaked OT with getting a possession if only score a FG. I prefer sticking with Sudden Victory if you score a TD or revert back.

OT afterall just extends an opportunity to win the game . Otherwise I’d just as soon return back to ending the game in a tie unless it’s the playoffs.

I prefer the last part. No overtime in the regular season and sudden death in the playoffs.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
It needs to change for sure. NFL OT is one of the dumbest things going in all of pro sports. The one sport where your offense and defense both don't get a chance and the first possession comes down to a coin toss. I'm fine with the current format being as is for the regular season but in the playoffs, you have to either go with a college football format or just play a full period until 0:00 in OT.

JayFord

Reaction score
Change it to college overtime rules and be done with it

Little Jr

Reaction score
OT rules are fine. Both teams have 60min to win the game. If they can't get it done in 60min, that's on them. They know a coin toss could decide the game. Oh yeah, teams have defenses too.