Twitter: Stephen Jones talks Byron Jones - 02/24/2020

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
I realize free agency and the draft are still ahead, but without Jones the Dallas corners are Awuzie, Lewis, and Olumba with Woods and Wilson at safety. That's a big pile of yuk right there. That's the kind of yuk that doesn't get fixed with a draft pick or two. Maybe they can sign Brown, a draft pick, and pat themselves on the back, but it's going to be a major downgrade from Byron.

If that makes you feel low, don't even glance the TE group that's currently held down by Dalton dirty deeds Schultz. Schultz and Schultz only. I'm not Schultzing you, I Schultz you not, and I'd never Schultz you about something like that.

You started off so well . . . :lmao:

ultron

Reaction score
  1. Dak
  2. Amari
  3. Quinn
After that, this team won't be able to afford $15-million-plus a year for a cornerback.

Why on God's green earth do any of you want to keep Quinn. I wouldn't pay that guy $1m to stay here... he made 10 plays and got smoked on 500+ plays this year. He's a 3rd down pass rusher at best and even then he's a massive liability against screen passes & runs. I can't wait for this guy to get the hell out of here.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why on God's green earth do any of you want to keep Quinn. I wouldn't pay that guy $1m to stay here... he made 10 plays and got smoked on 500+ plays this year. He's a 3rd down pass rusher at best and even then he's a massive liability against screen passes & runs. I can't wait for this guy to get the hell out of here.

The guy got 11.5 sacks in 14 games here. The '$29 million man' had 5.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
The only 'creative accounting' I'm a fan of is cutting the dead weight contracts in Crawford and Fleming.

But I have zero interest in getting further locked into deals with Lawrence, Jaylon Smith, or Elliott, or any of the offensive linemen either. No "restructuring" these deals to kick the can down the road.
Kicking the can is all fun and games and "it's the opposite of interest rate" until you're paying millions on the cap for a guy you cut for multiple years ala Romo.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Peeps talk about how cheap Dak was on his rook contract and forget this team was still paying off Romo's dead money at the time.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
  1. Dak
  2. Amari
  3. Quinn
After that, this team won't be able to afford $15-million-plus a year for a cornerback.

1000%......just read a tweet that Byron may be the Raiders number one target at $16M per. Stephen knows Bryon best money is outside a Cowboy uniform.

ultron

Reaction score
The guy got 11.5 sacks in 14 games here. The '$29 million man' had 5.
I could careless how many sacks he had, he was hunting for a big contract and was a massive liability for this defense because all he did was try to sack the QB. He's undersized ** and I don't want him on this team.

panchucko

It's Back
Reaction score
I realize free agency and the draft are still ahead, but without Jones the Dallas corners are Awuzie, Lewis, and Olumba with Woods and Wilson at safety. That's a big pile of yuk right there. That's the kind of yuk that doesn't get fixed with a draft pick or two. Maybe they can sign Brown, a draft pick, and pat themselves on the back, but it's going to be a major downgrade from Byron.

If that makes you feel low, don't even glance the TE group that's currently held down by Dalton dirty deeds Schultz. Schultz and Schultz only. I'm not Schultzing you, I Schultz you not, and I'd never Schultz you about something like that.
We have real coaching now. They will be able to make chicken salad out of chicken@:$/);&

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I could careless how many sacks he had, he was hunting for a big contract and was a massive liability for this defense because all he did was try to sack the QB. He's undersized ** and I don't want him on this team.

Sounds like he stole your girlfriend.
:laugh:

J817

Reaction score
I think we all knew Jones wasn’t going to be signed back with the impending contract extensions of Dak and Cooper. Imo, the Patriots in a similar scenario would have at least tried to trade Jones at the deadline to get something of value for him. Now granted we were still in “contention” then, but we had Lewis and Chido on the other side. Again, granted the coaching staff didn’t have faith in Lewis at the time, but then again the coaching staff at the time was an incompetent component hired by this FO.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I translate jones-speak " Byron is a guy we think a lot of..........just not enough to re-sign. He had a nice run at CB but didn't sell enough jerseys."

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
He’s an above average player about to get elite money. No thanks.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Or kicked his dog.

Right?

I don't know how someone can have such hatred for the guy who was essentially our entire pass rush and want to chase him out the door.

:huh:

The Cowboys had a less-than-average 39 sacks in 2019, putting them at 19th in the league. Take Quinn and his 11.5 out of the equation? And you're looking at a dismal 28.

ultron

Reaction score
Right?

I don't know how someone can have such hatred for the guy who was essentially our entire pass rush and want to chase him out the door.

:huh:

The Cowboys had a less-than-average 39 sacks in 2019, putting them at 19th in the league. Take Quinn and his 11.5 out of the equation? And you're looking at a dismal 28.

People put way too much stock in sacks, how about the countless massive runs and screens he gave up because all he does is try to get to the QB, and he was constantly out of position. Randy Gregory will be a huge upgrade when he's reinstated. Quinn had 20 tackles the whole season, that's horrendous. He's just not good and a major reason we were 8-8, but you guys can go buy his jersey if you want to.

ineedacaddy

Reaction score
I think the Cowboys are going to make a mistake in not resigning Byron. It was brought up today on SiriusXM NFL that a lot of corners are brought in and only taught not to get beat. Not to worry about turnovers. The really good coaches don't ever put fear in their players mind and teach them to be aggressive. We have been too influenced over the years with the cover two and to not get beat deep with our coverage. That's why we don't have the interceptions like others teams. It's been the coaching, not the players.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Don’t want him back anyways. Doesn’t make ANY plays , shys away in the run game. I want tacklers.

Macnalty

Reaction score

No way with Byron Jones gone can we field a decent defense, big Front Office Fugazi. I am seeing a pattern and it is not good if this is the FO of the future. Nobody in this draft can fill the void we will have at CB, at best we get a Awuzie clone, more likely a project. It will be hard for the Jones to spin this without throwing Stephen under the bus where he belongs IMO. This draft will be a bad aid for the poor choices the FO made last season.