Stephen Jones: "we’re going to pay Zeke a significant contract at some point"

Sydla

Reaction score
Gotta love this franchise.

Wouldn't pay Murray a lot because they had data that said there was a downturn in production of TBs. But they are going to pay a crap ton to Zeke.

Note, Murray isn't as good as Zeke, so spare the responses. But the data doesn't change depending on who you have at TB. If they truly believed TBs, at the time of looking at Murray, decline during the period we will be paying Elliott a ton, and then drop $70MM on Elliott, they are insane.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Stephen Jones is like Oprah out there.

And YOU get a contract, and YOU get a contract--

tenor.gif

Sydla

Reaction score
Stephen is like Oprah out there.

And YOU get a contract, and YOU get a contract--

tenor.gif

Now you know why they won't spend a penny in FA.

Their guys are "the best" and we have to pay them all. The wins will come from this roster. Just you wait.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Gotta love this franchise.

Wouldn't pay Murray a lot because they had data that said there was a downturn in production of TBs. But they are going to pay a crap ton to Zeke.

Note, Murray isn't as good as Zeke, so spare the responses. But the data doesn't change depending on who you have at TB. If they truly believed TBs, at the time of looking at Murray, decline during the period we will be paying Elliott a ton, and then drop $70MM on Elliott, they are insane.
they actually made Murray a fair offer and he wanted more years, the money part was good..it was Murrays choice to leave and howd that work out for him? we ran the tires off murray that final year and we may run zeke a lot but not how we force fed Murray in 2014 which was like 2 seasons on that guy, how old was Murray at that point? Murray left, not cut.. I cant remember but yes Zekes better and we need to get him a backup that can take few real snaps from him and keep him fresh for the playoffs...

IMO its not the same even though I can see your point..

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
oy... I guess "poker face" is a term the Jone's don't know.

Exactly what I was thinking. The Jones boys just love telling the world their plans.

"We're going drop an atomic bomb on Japan in 1945." - Colonel Jerry or Major Stephen in 1942.

Reaction score
Funny how he mentions Todd Gurley.

Todd Gurley is the prime example of why you don't pay RB's. Gurley completely disappeared the last 2 months of the season. They pick up Anderson off the scrap heap and they make the Super Bowl with him being their main RB.

The lessons of Todd Gurley are obvious. Yet those lessons go completely over Stephen's head.

Oh well.......

Sydla

Reaction score
they actually made Murray a fair offer and he wanted more years, the money part was good..it was Murrays choice to leave and howd that work out for him? we ran the tires off murray that final year and we may run zeke a lot but not how we force fed Murray in 2014 which was like 2 seasons on that guy, how old was Murray at that point? Murray left, not cut.. I cant remember but yes Zekes better and we need to get him a backup that can take few real snaps from him and keep him fresh for the playoffs...

IMO its not the same even though I can see your point..

It's basically the same. If the Cowboys believed in 2014 that overpaying for a TB into their 2nd contract would result in that being a bad contract given the decline in TB production, then why the hell would you then consider giving Elliott what will likely be a contract 2-3 times larger where Elliott will be playing for us for big money in the years they believe you will see a decline in production?

Its insane.

Sydla

Reaction score
Funny how he mentions Todd Gurley.

Todd Gurley is the prime example of why you don't pay RB's. Gurley completely disappeared the last 2 months of the season. They pick up Anderson off the scrap heap and they make the Super Bowl with him being their main RB.

The lessons of Todd Gurley are obvious. Yet those lessons go completely over Stephen's head.

Oh well.......

Any talk that Stephen was the savior and going to free us from the shackles of Jerry's reign was misplaced.

And yes, I was one of those fools who believed Stephen would be better. What an idiot I was.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Stephen and Jerry Jones have both now stated Prescott and Zeke will both be here a long time. I believe one of them stated that Cooper will be getting a large contract as well.

Yay. Can't wait until they collectively take up $60 million of our cap.

blueblood70

Reaction score
It's basically the same. If the Cowboys believed in 2014 that overpaying for a TB into their 2nd contract would result in that being a bad contract given the decline in TB production, then why the hell would you then consider giving Elliott what will likely be a contract 2-3 times larger where Elliott will be playing for us for big money in the years they believe you will see a decline in production?

Its insane.
not the same they DID offer him good money, the extra years is what Murray wanted, so they wanted Murray but not at the years he wanted..Zekes young, durable, and 70% of our offense..until you have a for sure answer you have to consider signing him..AP is still going strong and Zeke is that kind of back as far as staying on the filed and production.. you know like ESmith..if you know hes not going to drop off cliff in 3-4 years he can play at level for at least one more contract..then why not?