Twitter: Stephen Jones: "Your Goal As A Play Caller Should Be To Get Into 3rd And Shorts"

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Hmmm, are we seeing the Jones’ way of pushing KM out the freakin’ door?

toto1939

Reaction score
I always thought that the goal of a play caller was to get points (or stop the other team from getting them). Silly me.

3rd and short has what sort of conversion rate? Maybe 66%? So, on average, you're going to be punting after making 2 or 3 of those conversions.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Crap like this is why I'm slowly losing interest in following this team. I've been a Cowboys fan my whole life, but the team just seems doomed. It's not fun to be a Cowboys fan anymore.

How do you think I feel never having tasted success?

kskboys

Reaction score
I always thought that the goal of a play caller was to get points (or stop the other team from getting them). Silly me.

3rd and short has what sort of conversion rate? Maybe 66%? So, on average, you're going to be punting after making 2 or 3 of those conversions.
If you can't convert 3rd downs, you won't score many points.

The average thingie doesn't work that way. Way too many factors involved.

toto1939

Reaction score
Cowboys last Super Bowl win was 1995

1996 was the season Rowdy became the official mascot of the Cowboys.

Coincidence? I think not!!!

glimmerman

Reaction score
Maybe we see MM take over playcalling. Or we find another OC. And a new O-Line coach

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score

If as an OC, your goal is to be 3rd and short.....then you are calling a very conservative game; which means you will have the defense all up on the LOS. And you are depending on long 12 to 15 play drives. Good luck with all that because you are gonna need it. Chuckles should stick to what he knows best, which i am not really sure what it is.....but i do know EVP in charge of Player Personnel is not one of them. Mark it off your list. Good thing you got your Daddy's trust fund to fall back on.

links18

Reaction score
Did he mention what the goal of a thoracic surgeon might be? He knows about that subject as much as football, I imagine.