Twitter: Stephen: we’re still looking at veteran free agents

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
------How would you feel about this receiving core?

Amari Cooper
Micheal Gallup
CeeDee Lamb
Devin Smith
Noah Brown
Dez Bryant

I'd feel better if I never heard, or saw the name Noah Brown again....why does everyone keep trying to force a square peg into a round hole? The guy has NOTHING....except pictures of someone.
Drop off the last two and add cheaper UDFAs.

This is Our Year

Ohama, Kill, 52 is the Mike
Reaction score
Dez serves zero purpose.

I also don’t trust him not to pout and complain when he’s the 4th or 5th receiving option.

not worth it IMO

Agree 100% plus ideally your 4th WR is a guy that’s on the ST unit. Dez ain’t running down on kicks and punts trying to tackle anyone.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
A few notes that may be above but 5 pages was a lot to get through:

1. Date is quickly approaching where FA added won't cost you draft pick comp value.
This means DAL could easily go spend 10M a year on a guy now and not have that player cancel out a R4/R5 pick.
Combined with the player's market shrinking as teams added 200+ rookie players in and you could marry value and lack of penalty.
2. Obviously, Dak can be signed creating a large amount of cap space.
3. You could add someone along that DL using Crawford's 8m cap hit and break even.
4. DAL has often added stop gaps of late to get to the next draft or allow a lower round pick to develop.
5. Those stop gaps have been too low end in many cases but I think we saw that change last year. Quinn, Bennett and others were higher caliber than some previous stop gap attempts.

DanA

Reaction score
A few notes that may be above but 5 pages was a lot to get through:

1. Date is quickly approaching where FA added won't cost you draft pick comp value.
This means DAL could easily go spend 10M a year on a guy now and not have that player cancel out a R4/R5 pick.
Combined with the player's market shrinking as teams added 200+ rookie players in and you could marry value and lack of penalty.
2. Obviously, Dak can be signed creating a large amount of cap space.
3. You could add someone along that DL using Crawford's 8m cap hit and break even.
4. DAL has often added stop gaps of late to get to the next draft or allow a lower round pick to develop.
5. Those stop gaps have been too low end in many cases but I think we saw that change last year. Quinn, Bennett and others were higher caliber than some previous stop gap attempts.

I agree with this point. The low cost ones haven't really done much for us both in terms of production or compensatory picks but Cobb & Quinn have worked out fantastically. We got good production out of them and we'll soon get solid picks to use in the draft. Once the cancelling out period ends if we could cut Crawford and sign Clowney, we're talking about a 10m net spend and then 3rd round compo pick. Our 3rd round picks have gotten us the likes of Michael Gallup, Jourdan Lewis, and Maliek Collins so I think it's worth pursuing. Spending that 10m might mean we lose out on re-signing a guy like Awuzie but I'd rather the draft pick.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I agree with this point. The low cost ones haven't really done much for us both in terms of production or compensatory picks but Cobb & Quinn have worked out fantastically. We got good production out of them and we'll soon get solid picks to use in the draft. Once the cancelling out period ends if we could cut Crawford and sign Clowney, we're talking about a 10m net spend and then 3rd round compo pick. Our 3rd round picks have gotten us the likes of Michael Gallup, Jourdan Lewis, and Maliek Collins so I think it's worth pursuing. Spending that 10m might mean we lose out on re-signing a guy like Awuzie but I'd rather the draft pick.
That is an excellent point.
The extra cap space used essentially turned into value in that 1 year but also long term draft capital.
If you sign guys later after they don't cost you in comp battle but they perform and then bring you a comp pick you are gaming the system in the best possible way.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
He paid Jaylon after one good year, than gave into Zeke a running back with a history of problems, failed to sign Dak which would have actually opened up cap space and in the middle of it lost Byron Jones and Robert Quinn.

Meanwhile Philly loses no one of consequence, signed Darius Slay (who counts 4mill on the cap or two Tyrone Crawford's) and now has 10 million more in cap space over Dallas.

If Jaylon and Zeke are our biggest problems, I'd have to hope we have more problems to look forward to. But yeah, those weren't among his proudest moments. Plenty of teams would like to have those two, though. I'm not trying to sell you on Stephen as ideal at what he does, however. Far from it.

In retrospect, Jones and Quinn were well known to be headed for greener pastures long before it ever happened. I'm not one to promote Stephen as the ultimate negotiator. After all is said and done, though, he's the individual who's stuck with being the one cleaning up after Jerry. Tough job in itself.

Last edited:

817Gill

Reaction score
Make no mistake. I was pleasantly surprised with HHCD being added. One of the most overdue upgrades. I’m not exactly sure there are any better options out on the market? I think they are content with our group. I’m cool with it too. But if some other vet is available maybe they kick the tires if they are a better optioN than Woods? Who knows. I do know this though, after this draft I am a firm believer that they will jump on any real upgrades that can improve them instantly. A very refreshing change.
Oh yeah if a clear upgrade is available and logistical for any position, you do it. Just looking around it seems like there isn’t though

Sydla

Reaction score
Give me Reshad Jones and I'll keep the trade capital.

I wonder if they really want to play that SS/FS system.......... it seems with Dix and maybe even the talk of moving a CB to S, they want interchangeable safeties............. Jones seems more like a pure SS.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
I'd really like to see them go all in. Get Dak signed,lower his hit 10m or so, restructure Crawford to about half his number..go get Griffen for one year, get a legit backup QB, maybe a LB for a year like Matthews or a vet safety for one year.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I wonder if they really want to play that SS/FS system.......... it seems with Dix and maybe even the talk of moving a CB to S, they want interchangeable safeties............. Jones seems more like a pure SS.

He's probably not a centerfielder, but he's actually been really good in coverage.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Starting on today, the Cowboys and all other teams can start signing unrestricted free agents without compromising possible compensatory picks in 2021.

For years, June 1 was an important date for NFL teams, because after June 1, unrestricted free agent signings didn’t count against a team’s compensatory draft-pick formula. But that date has steadily moved forward, as Bob Condotta of the Seattle Times explains:

From 2011-15, that date was June 1, meaning any player signed after that date would not count. Teams that maybe wanted a player but also wanted to try to hold on to any comp picks they felt they might be due would often wait until June 1 or later if they could.

From 2016-19 that date inched a little closer – the second Tuesday after the NFL draft, or usually somewhere in mid-May.

Under the new CBA, that date is sooner – the Monday following the NFL draft, which this year is April 27 .

Those moves were made to incentivize teams to sign veteran free agents shortly after the NFL draft instead of waiting until shortly before camp as many teams had done in the past. The thinking was that those veterans would then be able to participate in a team’s OTAs and offseason program instead of sitting on their couch and waiting for a call in July or August.

The Cowboys look to be on track for four comp picks in 2020, and not the cheap kind either. Per OverTheCap.com, the Cowboys will be awarded an extra 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 5th in 2021:

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...o-shopping-in-second-wave-of-2020-free-agency

jjktkk

Reaction score
People tend to drool in it. What can I say? It needs guarding!
So are you saying you need someone to guard the water bucket...
th

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
If it was me, after the deadline, I'd make a pitch to Clowney.. title run, 1-year deal...etc. If his contract demand is too high, then call Everson Griffen.

I also wouldn't be surprised if we signed Clayton Geathers. We brought him last year..https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/18/cowboys-bringing-clayton-geathers-in-for-visit/

We've had a recent history of signing guys we showed previous interest in.

He's a decent stopgap at strong safety...only 27, he's 6'2" and 216 lbs. Would love to see more INT's, but not going to find ballhawks at this stage in free agency. 65.7 PFF grade last year, again not a world beater, but an upgrade at strong safety.

Carson

Reaction score
If it was me, after the deadline, I'd make a pitch to Clowney.. title run, 1-year deal...etc. If his contract demand is too high, then call Everson Griffen.

I also wouldn't be surprised if we signed Clayton Geathers. We brought him last year..https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/18/cowboys-bringing-clayton-geathers-in-for-visit/

We've had a recent history of signing guys we showed previous interest in.

He's a decent stopgap at strong safety...only 27, he's 6'2" and 216 lbs. Would love to see more INT's, but not going to find ballhawks at this stage in free agency. 65.7 PFF grade last year, again not a world beater, but an upgrade at strong safety.

Geathers or Tony Jefferson would work for me