Twitter: Stephen: we’re still looking at veteran free agents

Sydla

Reaction score
If it was me, after the deadline, I'd make a pitch to Clowney.. title run, 1-year deal...etc. If his contract demand is too high, then call Everson Griffen.

I also wouldn't be surprised if we signed Clayton Geathers. We brought him last year..https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/18/cowboys-bringing-clayton-geathers-in-for-visit/

We've had a recent history of signing guys we showed previous interest in.

He's a decent stopgap at strong safety...only 27, he's 6'2" and 216 lbs. Would love to see more INT's, but not going to find ballhawks at this stage in free agency. 65.7 PFF grade last year, again not a world beater, but an upgrade at strong safety.

There have been a couple of article floating around about what they might be doing on defense............ getting away from the SS types and running two interchangeable type Ss out there. Geathers seems like a clear cut SS. So he might not fit.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
There have been a couple of article floating around about what they might be doing on defense............ getting away from the SS types and running two interchangeable type Ss out there. Geathers seems like a clear cut SS. So he might not fit.

I like the idea of two cover safeties but there are run fits where the strong safety has to fill a gap (usually a c gap) and Xavier Woods terrifies me in that role.

CCBoy

Reaction score
A few notes that may be above but 5 pages was a lot to get through:

1. Date is quickly approaching where FA added won't cost you draft pick comp value.
This means DAL could easily go spend 10M a year on a guy now and not have that player cancel out a R4/R5 pick.
Combined with the player's market shrinking as teams added 200+ rookie players in and you could marry value and lack of penalty.
2. Obviously, Dak can be signed creating a large amount of cap space.
3. You could add someone along that DL using Crawford's 8m cap hit and break even.
4. DAL has often added stop gaps of late to get to the next draft or allow a lower round pick to develop.
5. Those stop gaps have been too low end in many cases but I think we saw that change last year. Quinn, Bennett and others were higher caliber than some previous stop gap attempts.

75% of the non-drafted free agents had a draftable grade. And on average, 2 non-drafted players make the final roster per team.

DC Cowboy

Reaction score
------How would you feel about this receiving core?

Amari Cooper
Micheal Gallup
CeeDee Lamb
Devin Smith
Noah Brown
Dez Bryant

I'd feel better if I never heard, or saw the name Noah Brown again....why does everyone keep trying to force a square peg into a round hole? The guy has NOTHING....except pictures of someone.

move Noah Brown to TE

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Griffin and Matthews would make the defense pretty solid. I’d be more than comfortable with it, even if HaHa and Woods are our best safety options. Maybe they bring in one too?

I just don’t know that they feel it is as weak as a lot of us do. It seems like it is the lowest priority on the list of upgrades for the defense.
Matthews only. Griffin is another Aldon Smith, David Irving, Randy Gregory, Greg Hardy, Alonzo Spellman, Demetris Underwood, etc.. accident waiting to happen. Unreliable.

LifetimeBoysFan

Reaction score
Matthews only. Griffin is another Aldon Smith, David Irving, Randy Gregory, Greg Hardy, Alonzo Spellman, Demetris Underwood, etc.. accident waiting to happen. Unreliable.

There are not too many other options. Clowney is too pricey for his injury production output. Griffin has his issues but he seemed capable the last couple of years after his mental health breakdown. Other than those two the well is pretty dry.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score

Matthews or Golden.

Both play the position that will be the main pass rusher in the new defense - the SLB/DPR.

Both low drama.

USMarineVet

Reaction score
I don't know. Going into the 2021 draft with 9 picks sounds pretty tasty. (1) 1, (1) 2, (2) 3, (2) 4, (1) 5, (1) 6 and 1 (7). Provided the anticipated comp picks stand. We can do some major moving up with those 3's, 4's and the 5. I'd hang on to the picks unless it's someone who is a real difference-maker.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
If it was me, after the deadline, I'd make a pitch to Clowney.. title run, 1-year deal...etc. If his contract demand is too high, then call Everson Griffen.

I also wouldn't be surprised if we signed Clayton Geathers. We brought him last year..https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/18/cowboys-bringing-clayton-geathers-in-for-visit/

We've had a recent history of signing guys we showed previous interest in.

He's a decent stopgap at strong safety...only 27, he's 6'2" and 216 lbs. Would love to see more INT's, but not going to find ballhawks at this stage in free agency. 65.7 PFF grade last year, again not a world beater, but an upgrade at strong safety.

Clowney makes too much sense for hybrid defense because athletic and explosive enough to play 3-4 OLB and/or 4-3 DE.

Still only 27. Griffen and Clay are 33 and 35 respectively.

24LE

Reaction score

Need to add to DL. Numbers not there yet.