Steve Berry' Cotton Malone mystery thrillers

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Ive been hooked on this guy for the last 9 months. I usually audible his stuff at work. Cut from the Dan Brown cloth, never hits the highs like Angels and Demons or the DaVinci Code. But doesnt hit Browns lows either.

Its pretty formulaic, but you always know you are going to get fun read. Where he consistently hits for me is that he is good at working the intrigue. Character development is decent for the genre (he can flesh out a villian pretty well). But he is really good at making you want to know more about what they are looking for

Anyone else enjoy this guy? I definitely recommend the audios if you consistently want an entertaining light read

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I once read one of his books. Was one of those hard cover bargain bin buys at the book stores. I enjoyed it and can see why he has a following like other popular series authors.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I once read one of his books. Was one of those hard cover bargain bin buys at the book stores. I enjoyed it and can see why he has a following like other popular series authors.

Its good diversionary stuff. I got more into audiobooks when my role at work became more managerial than individual contributor and I was far less hands on. Ive found the mystery genre to really work in that setting. Like Brown, Berry took up writing as a second career, and his early stuff was a bit jumbled. He got good once he found a formula and stuck with it. He has also gotten good at sticking to a formula without become predictable. That can be a problem with these type of series.