Stevenson's Draft Has the Cowboys Taking with their Second Round?

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I want a NT ala Ferguson. It is such a dirty job. A job that garners LITTLE glory. I want it to be guy who has to earn it from the bottom up. I think Ferguson was a 7th round pick. He did not come with any pressure or expectations. You draft a guy high and all he will ever get is the questions Spears gets "why aren't you sacking the QB". And the pressure to play to your draft position will cause the player to try to do things opposite of what the coach wants. Which is Tanks problem. He is constantly trying to sack the QB...and leaving gaping hols and LBers unprotected. That is why they sat his butt down!

rwatkins76

Reaction score
I have seen B. J. Raji from Boston College play at least three times. The guy is a BEAST. No one has been able to block him one-on-one. Against Notre Dame and VA Tech, he pushed/bull rushed/drove the offensive guard 10 yards in the backfield before the running back took 10 steps. Raji reminds me of a young Jerome Brown that use to play for the Eagles.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I would be disappointed with Fili

Mitch King would be a better value in the 4th/5th round

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
I don't see safety as a huge need anymore with Keith Davis filling in nicely and actually making everyone forget roy Williams, haven't seen him give up one pass play yet and is making some nice hits on the R.b.'s too.

I would take Raji, and then I would even take his teammate in round 5 Ron Brace to back him up, this way we get TWO big guys in case injury and to spell on a few plays and thus allows us to let Tank go and Move Ratliff to D.E./
I would love to ake D.T. Vance Johnson and move him to D.E. with our top pick and then move up to get Raji if possible, don't know if that's feasible though since he migh be gone by our 2nd rounder.

I mean, we saw from the Skins game what a dominating O-line can do and got a GLIMPSE of what a dominating D-line can do if we get someone to play as good as Ratliff to really cause havok on the D-line, thus I would like 3 of our top 5 picks to be D-line and the other 2 O-line and maybe a safety somewhere along the line with this being such a deep safety class, maybe even Hamlins brother at safety.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
TheCount;2431725 said:
You guys haven't figured this out yet? You guys think we need a DT... so on our first pick, we'll take a WR. If you think we need a MLB, we'll take a safety, if you think we need a backup QB, we'll take a defensive end. Just give it up.

I wouldn't even be shocked if we took another TE.

Please don't jinx us like that another TE would be dreadful.

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheCount
You guys haven't figured this out yet? You guys think we need a DT... so on our first pick, we'll take a WR. If you think we need a MLB, we'll take a safety, if you think we need a backup QB, we'll take a defensive end. Just give it up.

I wouldn't even be shocked if we took another TE.

where is this even coming from?
We drafted our EXACT NEEDS the past 3-5 years, so why on earth woudl you think that if we needed a N.T. we woudln't draft one?
We've handled our needs inthe draft perfectly the past few years.
We needed C.B. and another R.B. to spell Barber, so we got Felix and Jenkins in round 1, then we needed a T.E. to replace Fasano and we drafted Bennett, and we still needed C.B. help so we drafted Scandrick, in previous years we needed L.B. hlep and drafted as such, I think our drafts have worked out very well and we drafted the right positions of NEED we have had recently, so if we NEED A N.T. and maybe safety, or an O.T., those will be our top 3 or 4 picks.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;2432411 said:
where is this even coming from?
We drafted our EXACT NEEDS the past 3-5 years, so why on earth woudl you think that if we needed a N.T. we woudln't draft one?
We've handled our needs inthe draft perfectly the past few years.
We needed C.B. and another R.B. to spell Barber, so we got Felix and Jenkins in round 1, then we needed a T.E. to replace Fasano and we drafted Bennett, and we still needed C.B. help so we drafted Scandrick, in previous years we needed L.B. hlep and drafted as such, I think our drafts have worked out very well and we drafted the right positions of NEED we have had recently, so if we NEED A N.T. and maybe safety, or an O.T., those will be our top 3 or 4 picks.

we really need a 2nd round TE.

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2432457 said:
we really need a 2nd round TE.

Um, YES!
1st off that 2nd round T.E. just SAVED our season with his T.D. catch on Sunday, and since we use a TON of 2 T.E. sets, why wouldn't you want another WEAPON opposite Witten at T.E. instead of JUST A GUY like Tony Curtis who we coudl of drafted in round 5?

Bennett is just a rookie, but once he gets settled in, he's gonna become more of a weapon in the coming games and coming years.

If we're gonna have a 2nd T.E. in our base offense on the field A TON, why wouldn't you want him to be a WEAPON instead of just some late round draft pick?

It gives the defense another player to have to account for on, another receiving option for Romo, and god forbid Witten gets hurt, he steps in for Witten and we don't skip a beat.

So YES, if we can get a TALENT like Bennett with a late 2nd round pick, when we use a 2 T.E. set as our base offense, HELL YEAH we really needed a 2nd Round T..E.!

burmafrd

Reaction score
Perfect size for a NT is around 6-1 and 320. If possible find a guy with longer arms then a normal 6-1 guy. Smaller and he gets pushed around; bigger and they get gassed (all those guys 330 and so get gassed no matter how well they are conditioned- so unless you have two of them of equal ability you need to go smaller).

And he has to have a never ending MOTOR. More then any other position on the team, the NT ALWAYS has to be a full speed. In reality you need two guys playing the position unless you luck into a Wilford or the like.

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
burmafrd;2432777 said:
Perfect size for a NT is around 6-1 and 320. If possible find a guy with longer arms then a normal 6-1 guy. Smaller and he gets pushed around; bigger and they get gassed (all those guys 330 and so get gassed no matter how well they are conditioned- so unless you have two of them of equal ability you need to go smaller).

And he has to have a never ending MOTOR. More then any other position on the team, the NT ALWAYS has to be a full speed. In reality you need two guys playing the position unless you luck into a Wilford or the like.

I agree, or unless you can get a guy like Ngata, Wilfork, or Kris Jenkins.

But yeah, most big guys get gassed, and you are 100% right that in most cases you want the shorter guy who's more COMPACT, you don't want a 6'-6 330 pound N.T., I'd take the 6'-2 325 pounder everytime because they need to stay low and have that knee bend that taller guys just can't do, which is why you don't see many 6'-6 6'-7 Guards or centers cause they just can't BEND their knees like you need them too.

That being said, I think we can learn a lesson from when we had Ferguson and Ferguson only at N.T., he got hurt and then we were SCREWED cause we didn't have another big body on the D-line to replace him thus our run dfense suffered accordingly the way it's suffering thisyear having Ratlifff who I LOVE but he's too small and can get pushed around by double teams as the N.T. in the 3-4.

So, we need to get not jut ONE BIG GUY to play N.T. we need TWO, cause we need to move Ratliff to D.E. where he can be more effective which is scary when you think about how much bettter he can play if he wasn't playing N.T., and if we only get ONE BIG N.T., if he gets hurt, we're screwed and then would have to RE-SHUFFLE the whole D-line again, moving Ratliff back to N.T., and replacing Ratliff at D.E. with someone else, etc., so we need to grab a guy like Raji with our top pick, and the go out and grab another big N.T. later in the draft in round 5 or 6, I'd like to grab Raji's teammate Ron Brace, 6'-3 330 pounds to backup Raji, so that if Raji gets hurt, we have another big body to replace him and don't have to adjust the whole D-line plus we'd get another big body to help out on short yardage and goal line situations where you want and need bigger guys and to spell him on a few series during the game to keep Raji fresh also.

So I'd take Raji in round 2 and then go grab Brace in round 5 and if we miss out on Brace, go for Antonio Dixon in round 6.

BUT our off-season priority and draft needs should be to get TWO BIG N.T.'s so we can CUT Tank johnson and move Ratliff to D.E.!

I personally wouldn't mind if we used our top pick 2nd rounder on a N.T., used our 3rd rounder on a big pass rushing D.T. and convert him to D.E. and then use our 5th on a N.T. again, I wouldn'd have a problem with using 3 of our top 5 picks on the D-line since we are SET at all the skill posiiton players, can get through another year with all our current L.B.'s, and our secondary is pretty set with the improved play of Keith Davis, and all our offensive skill players are set in stone, so why not address a major problem and overhaul our D-line with 3 of our top 5 picks?
Use the other 2 picks in between for a safety and an O-lineman and I'll be happy.

This way, the following draft we'd have the luxury of going out and even moving up to get a STUD I.L.B. in round 1 to replace Zach Thomas to play behind a revamped D-line.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Don't forget about Ratliff's versatility. He will still factor in at the NT rotation. On obvious passing downs, Ratliff could slide over from DE and Jason Hatcher or Stephen Bowen would play DE.

I agree with previous poster though. Assuming we let Tank Johnson leave we need to go out and draft or sign 2 TRUE NT's.

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;2433294 said:
Don't forget about Ratliff's versatility. He will still factor in at the NT rotation. On obvious passing downs, Ratliff could slide over from DE and Jason Hatcher or Stephen Bowen would play DE.

I agree with previous poster though. Assuming we let Tank Johnson leave we need to go out and draft or sign 2 TRUE NT's.

Oh of course, on passing downs I'd go to a 4 man line with Ware and Spencer as D.E.'s and Ratliff and whoever else at the other D.T. spot whether that be Hatcher or a rookie!