Still a lot we don’t know

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s amazing how this team went from major under achievers last year to true non contenders this year. Just like that...

2tbz8o.jpg.cf.jpg

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Most on this Zone thought this team was primed to be a serious contender . Just needed a proven HC.

Now they’re backpedaling saying need more time or a possible rebuild. All a crock of crap.

If we had rolled Sunday there would be SB talk. Results matter and it puts everything in perspective.

Nope that's another agenda lie. This team has been devoid of two big things over the last 15 years or longer.

-Defense
-Quality coaching

And you can throw in special teams after last season.

So once again you fight an imaginary enemy with pathetic lies.

Feel free to pull up all the post where most of this forum said that the ONLY issue was coaching?

Heck...………...there is a faction of trolls like you that thinks Dak sucks and has been the biggest problem.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It’s amazing how this team went from major under achievers last year to true non contenders this year. Just like that...

2tbz8o.jpg.cf.jpg

Its amazing how you went from a pathetic gleeful homer to a hating pessimist. Ready to pounce on anything to prove your hero Garrett was the great coach you thought he was. :lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao::lmao::lmao:

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I was thinking about this the other day. Jerry wanted to open up the new stadium and when I heard that I wondered why? Of course the home team would be fired up to win in their new stadium and after it was publicized Jerry wanted the Ram was there any doubt they would be fired up to win? I would rather the Eagles or someone else opened that stadium.

But no fans this game, piped in sound just isn't the same as real people in the stands.

So not sure the new stadium had that much to do with the win. To me it's more that Cowboys played a team who didn't have to travel, had the same head coach, quarterback et al as the last few years. I said as much before the season - that teams who had the least changes would be better early on. Once 3-4 games have been played the teams with a lot of changes should begin to come together.

Which also means the Cowboys better not go 0-3 or 0-4, at that point it'd be the same as any normal season, very hard if not impossible to get into the playoffs...

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I could not agree more, especially with no preseason to speak of considering the new coaching.

What we want to see if improvement as the season progresses. But at the same time, we knew we had some weakness at OL and some question marks about LB. When the cut Bernard we saw they were thin at that position.

If the OL does not get better, the season is going to be over quickly. I think the defense is likely to get better with more playing time.
I am at the point I hope the OL just continues to crumble.

Then Dak will stink things up and we can let go of the "Dak will save us" mentality and take his money and rebuild the team completely.

Dak is a progress stopper for us now. A real liability at his position.

Hopefully he is gone after this season.

Aven8

Reaction score
Hell we went 13-3 that one season and got clobbered by the Kapernick led 49ers the first game at home. We could roll off 15 in a row for all we know.

glimmerman

Reaction score
The level of frustration we’ve seen among our fellow Zone fans after the rams loss surprised me a little. But then when I thought about it some more, I realized after Coach Vanilla was let go and Big Mac brought in, along with a good draft, the assumptions for an automatic turnaround were huge. Throw in 25 years of frustration, and it’s a little more understandable.

But with very little time and opportunity to implement new schemes and learn new coaching styles, this team was in a learning deficit. NFL Turnarounds are almost never instantaneous.

Plus, after just one game, I still don’t think we know what this team is going to be yet. It takes time to cleanse a team culture and implement new ways of doing things.

I’m waiting until at least October before declaring this team anything.
5 games, with in 5 games we will see how we are. I think this game was played like our 3rd preseason game would have been played. We were getting our tempo and gel down. Not many deep shots even though Daks deep passes will be on this year. Timing is good with the receivers. Timing with the blocking needs work and donald is going to do this to teams all season.

Shore up the coverage on Defense to force them into deeper pass plays. Then we can use the pass rush we have. But stop the dang run.

Within 5 games we should be playing as a team. We can then turn things up to close to level 10. Lol. Maybe 7 games but we will have a good idea in another 4.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
He had a enough time for us to have a game and see something that looked different from before.

The fact is that it looked like the same crap because it most likely is going to be the same crap.

They told us not much would change. I think we all kind of thought they were hiding something and no way would they be stupid enough to continue down the path of predictable boring football but here we are.

NFL turnarounds happen pretty quick actually. If you don't see the team turnaround pretty quick then it usually won't and it's time to go to the next guy.

Right now this looks like the we won't change anything year and then next year they will try to sell another year of McCarthy on all the changes he's making.

I could have typed this word for word.

GMO415

Reaction score
I find it funny that most teams can turn it around with this type of talent in a short period of time. I expect the same here. It was only one game, but I expect a different level of play come Sunday afternoon.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I find it funny that most teams can turn it around with this type of talent in a short period of time. I expect the same here. It was only one game, but I expect a different level of play come Sunday afternoon.
Don’t underestimate the culture Jerry has created here as something that must be overcome. Jimmy talked about it several years ago that this was a soft culture. Jerry treats this whole organization like it’s his personal toy instead of a professional football team 100% dedicated to winning- no excuses.

The fact that Jerry still has the GM job underscores the “excuse culture” he’s engendered. It’s very hard to hold anyone accountable in this culture because the owner doesn’t hold himself accountable for his 25 years of futility. And by accountability, I mean you win or else. That’s what the teams winning SBs require- win or else we’ll find someone who will. Jerry the owner doesn’t require that of anyone in this organization named Jones.

cern

Reaction score
We need to start using more motion plays to kick start the offense. Therr were rumors to that effect, but come game time, rhere were none to be seen. We do "our thing ", but fail to challenge defenses. I was highly disappointed sunday night. We have met the enemy and it is us.

GMO415

Reaction score
Don’t underestimate the culture Jerry has created here as something that must be overcome. Jimmy talked about it several years ago that this was a soft culture. Jerry treats this whole organization like it’s his personal toy instead of a professional football team 100% dedicated to winning- no excuses.

The fact that Jerry still has the GM job underscores the “excuse culture” he’s engendered. It’s very hard to hold anyone accountable in this culture because the owner doesn’t hold himself accountable for his 25 years of futility. And by accountability, I mean you win or else. That’s what the teams winning SBs require- win or else we’ll find someone who will. Jerry the owner doesn’t require that of anyone in this organization named Jones.
3-network.gif

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The level of frustration we’ve seen among our fellow Zone fans after the rams loss surprised me a little. But then when I thought about it some more, I realized after Coach Vanilla was let go and Big Mac brought in, along with a good draft, the assumptions for an automatic turnaround were huge. Throw in 25 years of frustration, and it’s a little more understandable.

But with very little time and opportunity to implement new schemes and learn new coaching styles, this team was in a learning deficit. NFL Turnarounds are almost never instantaneous.

Plus, after just one game, I still don’t think we know what this team is going to be yet. It takes time to cleanse a team culture and implement new ways of doing things.

The thing is, they said it wasn't going to be new schemes. Moore was kept and McCarthy said more than once that he was the one learning a new offense. It still looks like the stuck in the 90s in the passing game and given MM's comments about motion I don't expect that to change.

Toss in the o-line issues, the soft middle defense (still) and question marks in the secondary and I'll be shocked if this team takes off and does something this season. I'm not expecting much more than what we got last year, for a lot of the same reasons.

Whyjerry

Reaction score

I think the issue is that on paper this was a winnable game and the way Dallas lost was very familiar to long suffering fans. Slow start, bad tackling, questionable play calling, “stars” playing terribly...
These have been staples of this underperforming franchise for 25 years. It’s frustrating. I think it’s too early to panic and I believe McCarthy is a quality coach.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

On offense, we wanted more of the misdirection plays last year from last year and got less. Can't blame lack of time to implement a new system on a lack of plays from last year.

What McCarthy said, and what made some sense, was to keep continuity on the offense from last year.

We had hoped Boise State Moore would be unleashed with Garrett gone. Instead, we got less. Read option? RPO? Screens? Even the good old jet sweep?

My hope was to add McCarthy's WC to Moore's Boise State and Coryell. It was supposed to be all about pressuring the defense with ambiguous looks and misdirection.

Instead, the Rams did it to us. Sad.