Still a lot we don’t know

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I approve of the thread title and can apply that to other parts of my life. Actually, all of them.
Coach I could title the thread about my life, “There’s a whole lot I’m still trying to,learn”. I’ve always liked the quote, “The smartest person in the room isn’t usually the one with all the answers- it’s actually the person with the best set of questions.“ lol.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys have looked better in week 1 in the past. Even in some of their week 1 losses. The team I saw last Sunday looked like a lazy version of last year's team. I'm going to just chalk that up to it being week 1 under ill circumstances. A new coaching staff with ill time to prepare. What can we expect?

How many times has it been mentioned long before week 1? That teams coming in with new coaching staffs will be at a disadvantage early on.
And...surprise! The other team’s players get paid too. Many fans find it hard to fathom that their favorite team could be outplayed and outcoached by the opponent. Sometimes you lose not because you were lazy, didn’t care enough or don’t have enough talent. Sometimes you just get beat.

As the title of this thread states, there’s a lot we don’t know about this team yet. Maybe we’re better than we looked Sun night in LA or maybe we’re worse. My main point is, you cannot judge a football team on one game it lost by three points in the first game of the season. One sixteenth of the season is a very small sample size. They never crown a champion in September

Flamma

Reaction score
And...surprise! The other team’s players get paid too. Many fans find it hard to fathom that their favorite team could be outplayed and outcoached by the opponent. Sometimes you lose not because you were lazy, didn’t care enough or don’t have enough talent. Sometimes you just get beat.

As the title of this thread states, there’s a lot we don’t know about this team yet. Maybe we’re better than we looked Sun night in LA or maybe we’re worse. My main point is, you cannot judge a football team on one game it lost by three points in the first game of the season. One sixteenth of the season is a very small sample size. They never crown a champion in September

Absolutely. It's also good to sometimes get the perspective from other fans. What are they seeing? Are they right? Sometimes that helps me take the rose colored glasses off.

I watch this one guy on YouTube, Strong opinion sports. He predicted Dallas going 8-8, and thinks the Cowboys are getting torched by the Falcons. The dude has no favorite team BTW. This is not to say he's right, but it allows me to get a different perspective.

Like you said, it's only 1 week. Most teams are very different by mid season. For the better, or worse.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Absolutely. It's also good to sometimes get the perspective from other fans. What are they seeing? Are they right? Sometimes that helps me take the rose colored glasses off.

I watch this one guy on YouTube, Strong opinion sports. He predicted Dallas going 8-8, and thinks the Cowboys are getting torched by the Falcons. The dude has no favorite team BTW. This is not to say he's right, but it allows me to get a different perspective.

Like you said, it's only 1 week. Most teams are very different by mid season. For the better, or worse.
Well said.

One of my observations about our fan anger after one game is so many fans want this team to win so bad, they will buy in hard to the off season hype. Every draft pick, every FA is expected to be All Pro instantly, and our new HC should be able to instantly change a decade of culture and habits of this team with no OTAs, no preseason games, and a scaled back practice schedule.

It’s almost humorous when you think about it.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
The level of frustration we’ve seen among our fellow Zone fans after the rams loss surprised me a little. But then when I thought about it some more, I realized after Coach Vanilla was let go and Big Mac brought in, along with a good draft, the assumptions for an automatic turnaround were huge. Throw in 25 years of frustration, and it’s a little more understandable.

But with very little time and opportunity to implement new schemes and learn new coaching styles, this team was in a learning deficit. NFL Turnarounds are almost never instantaneous.

Plus, after just one game, I still don’t think we know what this team is going to be yet. It takes time to cleanse a team culture and implement new ways of doing things.

I’m waiting until at least October before declaring this team anything.

if we don’t get a win this weekend, it’s going to get ugly fast.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Well said.

One of my observations about our fan anger after one game is so many fans want this team to win so bad, they will buy in hard to the off season hype. Every draft pick, every FA is expected to be All Pro instantly, and our new HC should be able to instantly change a decade of culture and habits of this team with no OTAs, no preseason games, and a scaled back practice schedule.

It’s almost humorous when you think about it.

Agree.

ive tried not to drink any Kool aid until we get wins.

We just gotta start winning some games.

cern

Reaction score
it's never a problem for me. football season corresponds with the hunting season. if a game stinks, i just grab a firearm and go out and hunt something. or catch a fish. or grab the camera and take pictures.