Still can't believe we got Cee Dee Lamb at 17

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For any rookie but especially a WR, the situation they are drafted into is very dependent on the situation the player is drafted into.

Ceedee is coming into an amazing situation. This offense nearly produced 3 1,000 yard receivers last year and he is not going to have to take on an opposing teams best corner initially.
He is coming into one of the most favorable situations for a rookie WR because they'd like to not have to pay Gallup after doing Cooper's deal so he should get a lot of targets for a rookie WR.

Doesn't change the fact that with those nearly 3 1K WR's, they were 8-8. Most of the 3rd CB's ion the NFL are better than most of the CB1's in the Big 12. It's the run and shoot conference.

One thing in Lamb's favor is that he will not be going from a different style QB, Prescott and Hurts are very similar.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ya, cant ever tell about those rooks,, they can burn ya.
I get the reserved call on CD.
Just saying, sometimes its really easy to see how good a rook will be, and CD is one of those special rooks that has that, if you cant see it now, you will.
Oh, I saw how special, he was at OU, they were not the same O with him not in the game. Riley is a run first HC but he did run that O through Lamb last season.

But there was also an unusually high amount of sloppy tackling all over the Big 12 last year in the secondaries.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
He is coming into one of the most favorable situations for a rookie WR because they'd like to not have to pay Gallup after doing Cooper's deal so he should get a lot of targets for a rookie WR.

Doesn't change the fact that with those nearly 3 1K WR's, they were 8-8. Most of the 3rd CB's ion the NFL are better than most of the CB1's in the Big 12. It's the run and shoot conference.

One thing in Lamb's favor is that he will not be going from a different style QB, Prescott and Hurts are very similar.
Im not on board with the early dismissal of up and coming talent.
Just saying, what if this equation works, what if Coop, Gallup and CD actually make this offense one of the best in the league, best in Division/conference.
Little early IMO to be already planning for cuts,, I don't get this thought process, not attacking you just wondering why at this point you think this has to be a cut of potential league leading greatness?
Other teams have zero issue in investing in multiple WRs, Pitt, KC, ATL.. why the Cowboys?

cowboygo

Reaction score
Austin’s short lived peak didn’t even coincide with Dez’s

In 2012, Dez broke out and Miles was still solid but that year is comparable statistically to the 2020 combo of Cooper/Gallup.
They didn't coincide because Dez got hurt his rookie year, and the following year Miles was hurt playing 10 games. The hope was for both of them to be on the field, but like you said, it didn't really happen until 2012, by then, Miles had fallen off. But definitely the thought when Dez was drafted was for them to be a formidable duo.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Okay coach, but using your theory here on luxury or necessity, you must factor in how that affected the Eagles. In your opinion is Reagor in the same class as Lamb? Secondly, how would things be different if Dallas faced Wentz (and I am not one who thinks Wentz is a bust but will eventually be the best QB in the East) with Lamb as a WR?

And how does Lamb compare to Chaisson in regard to their abilities in their position. Is Lamb a better receiver than Chaisson a pass rusher? Which may be the most important question of all.

I get the luxury aspect. But there are factors which can add or subtract from the pick in the over-all viewing of this selection.

I'd like to know your thoughts on this.
Keeping him from the Eagles was the bonus but we do not know if they could have traded that pick because everyone in the draft knew that Lamb was better than the 17th pick.

Chaisson will be one we compare as we move forward but it's not like there was a top 10 D pick to take instead of Lamb so I get the value and it's real value.

I would have preferred to trade and use an additional pick on D because that has been the problem. WR has not been a problem as robjay pointed out the almost 3 K WR's last season.

The other value of Lamb is not having to pay Gallup heavy money because he's going to want that because Booger's been opening the bank. Wouldn't surprise me for them to try to move Lamb to the #2 spot asap but there are going to be more 3 WR sets than we've ever seen before so it really doesn't matter.

Hardline

Reaction score
If he does in the NFL to what he did to my Longhorns we have a Hall of Famer on our hands.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Im not on board with the early dismissal of up and coming talent.
Just saying, what if this equation works, what if Coop, Gallup and CD actually make this offense one of the best in the league, best in Division/conference.
Little early IMO to be already planning for cuts,, I don't get this thought process, not attacking you just wondering why at this point you think this has to be a cut of potential league leading greatness?
Other teams have zero issue in investing in multiple WRs, Pitt, KC, ATL.. why the Cowboys?
I am not dismissing Lamb or the 2nd-4th picks at all, it's always a wait and see with rooks and they progress at different speeds.

Lamb is already a more polished WR/route runner than Bryant was.

Typhus, they were the best O in the league last season, that's my point, this was not a need, D was the need. The two best offenses in the league last season couldn't get above .500 and make the playoffs. Not saying the pick wasn't a value as he was regarded as 1 of the 3 best WR's in the draft.

My problem, that was a flash pick for Booger. He got what he wanted, oohs and aahs for his pick but was that the best move that could have been made for the team?

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Keeping him from the Eagles was the bonus but we do not know if they could have traded that pick because everyone in the draft knew that Lamb was better than the 17th pick.

Chaisson will be one we compare as we move forward but it's not like there was a top 10 D pick to take instead of Lamb so I get the value and it's real value.

I would have preferred to trade and use an additional pick on D because that has been the problem. WR has not been a problem as robjay pointed out the almost 3 K WR's last season.

The other value of Lamb is not having to pay Gallup heavy money because he's going to want that because Booger's been opening the bank. Wouldn't surprise me for them to try to move Lamb to the #2 spot asap but there are going to be more 3 WR sets than we've ever seen before so it really doesn't matter.
This franchise is on the precipice on going all in/over on Dak, our franchise QB,, just where do you think this FO is investing.
I understand the need for D as any fan of this team,, but reality is a concept that must be addressed.
If this franchise is rolling forward with Dak, every weapon available in the draft must be acquired, esp when its dangling at 17.
Chaisson was on everyones board, choosing to take CD doesn't mean that Chaisson was less of a pick there.
But CD sure made a lot of sense when checking MM history.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If he does in the NFL to what he did to my Longhorns we have a Hall of Famer on our hands.
He wasn't the only one doing that to your Horns. The entire BIG 12 was sloppy in the secondary's last season and that is not typical. They play so many high octane O's, they're usually better than that. Not as many broken tackles as missed tackles and that's not a slam against Lamb, he was the best WR in the Big 12.

Last edited:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I would tap the breaks a little since he played in the Big 12 where tackling is optional. I think he is a good WR and deserving of the 1st round but on a team that was the #1 O and #2 Pass O, is he a necessity or a luxury?

He is not yet the second coming of Hopkins and might just be a good one like Marquise Brown, his predecessor at OU.

He also posted very good numbers vs Alabama and LSU
Vs Alabama 8 catches 109 and a TD and vs LSU 4 catches 11

Hardline

Reaction score
He wasn't the only one doing that to your Horns. The entire BIG 12 was sloppy ion the secondary's last season and that is not typical. They play so many high octane O's, they're usually better than that. Not as many broken tackles as missed tackles and that's not a slam against Lamb, he was the best WR in the Big 12.
No one did to the Longhorns what Lamb did.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This franchise is on the precipice on going all in/over on Dak, our franchise QB,, just where to you think this FO is investing.
I understand the need for D as any fan of this team,, but reality is a concept that must be addressed.
If this franchise is rolling forward with Dak, every weapon available in the draft must be acquired, esp when its dandling at 17.
Chaisson was on everyones board, choosing to take CD doesn't mean that Chaisson was less of a pick there.
But CD sure made a lot of sense when checking MM history.
Oh, I know where they're investing which is why I think it's ridiculous to go on about how much Prescott is going to get paid. They're follow the ball people and they don't get many rings. Landry, Johnson and Parcells were not follow the ball people.

If it had not been Lamb, the WR that the Cowboys were the most familiar within the draft and a real prize at 17, it most likely would have been Chaisson but the high fives over Lamb were just too hard to pass up. Plus, getting the WR that PHL wanted didn't hurt a bit.

robjay04

Reaction score
They didn't coincide because Dez got hurt his rookie year, and the following year Miles was hurt playing 10 games. The hope was for both of them to be on the field, but like you said, it didn't really happen until 2012, by then, Miles had fallen off. But definitely the thought when Dez was drafted was for them to be a formidable duo.

I agree

You claimed we would be lucky if they are on the level of Bryant/Miles . We are always talking about production here and their best year together is was statistically, very similar to last season with Cooper/Gallup. Cooper/Gallup would’ve statically been much better if not for silly drops so it’s not unrealistic to think the Cowboys can’t match that going forward with whoever their top 2 receivers may be.

We could be raving about how good the Gallup/Lamb duo looks this time next year for all I know.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Oh, I know where they're investing which is why I think it's ridiculous to go on about how much Prescott is going to get paid. They're follow the ball people and they don't get many rings. Landry, Johnson and Parcells were not follow the ball people.

If it had not been Lamb, the WR that the Cowboys were the most familiar within the draft and a real prize at 17, it most likely would have been Chaisson but the high fives over Lamb were just too hard to pass up. Plus, getting the WR that PHL wanted didn't hurt a bit.
Probably would have been happy either way from a fan base perspective, 1a vs 1b.
Both elite athletes, that will more than likely be making a lot of highlights, just glad we got one of the two, and I believe the choice to be correct.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He also posted very good numbers vs Alabama and LSU
Vs Alabama 8 catches 109 and a TD and vs LSU 4 catches 11
He is a very good WR and the one thing he didn't have that Jeudy and Ruggs had was each other. All the DC's knew Lamb was the difference maker for OU and Hurts.

It is not that I don't like the player because I do but I saw a much more glaring need on the team already with the top O in the league. Especially one that just lost their two best players off the D.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
He is a very good WR and the one thing he didn't have that Jeudy and Ruggs had was each other. All the DC's knew Lamb was the difference maker for OU and Hurts.

It is not that I don't like the player because I do but I saw a much more glaring need on the team already with the top O in the league. Especially one that just lost their two best players off the D.

Fact is he produces vs top teams not just big 12. When you claim he was in the crappy Big 12? he produced no matter who he played against and in top Bowl games. It does appear to be a dig at him and if that is how you feel fine but the kid did his job regardless of who he went up against. As for Dallas selecting him they did so because he was the best player on the board by far be it offense or defensive player. Dallas also addressed defensive needs both in the draft and FA, skipping a top player just to fill other needs in my view not smart and one you end up regretting later

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Like-unlike

Its sad that fans still crap on Dez. “Better than Dez ever was”? :facepalm: