Still doubt that passing is more important that rushing?

wick

Reaction score
I'm not particularly fixated on how you measure passing or rushing, so I'll use quarterback rating, yards rushing, and yards per rush here. I'm sure there are better ways to evaluate each, but it doesn't really matter. In Dallas' seven games, here's the record for the team that has won each metric:
  • QB Rating: 7-0
  • Yards rushing: 3-4
  • Yards per rush: 3-4
If you can't pass better than the opponent, you lose. Jason Garrett seems to think otherwise, and he will never be correct. We'll continue losing games as long as he approaches them with the idea that we will win with the ground game and just try not to make any mistakes in the passing game. It's a recipe doomed from the start.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not mocking you wick... it wasn't that long ago when folks were ripping Garrett for not committing to the run.

But I agree with your take.

Thinking a running game combined with a very conservative passing game is going to put points on the board is goofy.

A good running game controls the clock but it's the passing game that puts up the points.

This offense is unwatchable.

I'd rather have them put the ball up 45 times... At least that would be entertaining.

perrykemp

Reaction score
Not surprised I believe team QB rating passing differential is considered the uber identifying statistic for Superbowl winning teams over the past 20 years or so.

The Cowboys QB rating differential is negative which is a bad sign.

When Romo comes back that should be rectified to a major extent.

wick

Reaction score
Not mocking you wick... it wasn't that long ago when folks were ripping Garrett for not committing to the run.

Thinking a running game combined with a very conservative passing game is going to put points on the board is goofy.

A good running game controls the clock but it's the passing game that puts up the points.

I'd rather have them put the ball up 45 times... At least that would be entertaining.

People misread why we were so successful in 2014. It wasn't because of DeMarco Murray and the running game. It was due to Tony Romo having one of the great passing seasons of all time and by far his personal best. The second Giants game is instructive. We ran the ball as well as you can, amassing 233 yards at 5.7 per carry. We lost because Cassel threw three interceptions that caused us to lose the passing battle with the Giants.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not surprised I believe team QB rating passing differential is considered the uber identifying statistic for Superbowl winning teams over the past 20 years or so.

Agreed.

But by that time it may be too late to save this season.

Go 1-1 in the next two and you have a wee bit of a chance.

Go 0-2 and your playoff hopes go pffffttt.

wick

Reaction score

With Romo, Dallas is almost certainly sitting at 6-1 and might be undefeated. That's what is so hard to swallow about this season.

RunDMC

Reaction score
This staff is a ******* disgrace. How can you play so scared? You have to go out and take these games. That's what good teams do. Mediocre teams play like the scared *****es that they're. You can't just run all over teams without any semblance of a pass game. Play action roll outs, boot legs, fake reverses, etc. Get Dez and that big body on the move. We know T-Will is at his best laterally and why in God's name was Butler inactive? Once again this joke of a coach refuses to play a guy who can actually contribute unlike bums like Street and Beasley.

wick

Reaction score
This staff is a ******* disgrace. How can you play so scared? You have to go out and take these games. That's what good teams do. Mediocre teams play like the scared *****es that they're. You can't just run all over teams without any semblance of a pass game. Play action roll outs, boot legs, fake reverses, etc. Get Dez and that big body on the move. We know T-Will is at his best laterally and why in God's name was Butler inactive? Once again this joke of a coach refuses to play a guy who can actually contribute unlike bums like Street and Beasley.

There are coaches who are into big data and sussing out what causes teams to win and lose games. Then there are coaches like Jason Garrett.

Aven8

Reaction score

I think next Sunday night we have to sling it. We have no choice.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

You are an interesting poster. You flip out from week to week. It is entertaining.

Hardline

Reaction score
I'll take my ground and pound rushing attack and defeat your passing team everytime.

RunDMC

Reaction score
You are an interesting poster. You flip out from week to week. It is entertaining.

What do you expect? I cannot believe this ****. I cannot believe how incompetent Garrett it is. I was one of his biggest fans, but this streak has really illustrated just how much of a bum he has and how Romo made him. He can't win one ******* game without him. THREE games where the Cowboys were in control and once again they blow it. I'm so sick of it. How can you expect to win with this bum? He's an absolute disgrace of a head coach. He has no balls. He plays to lose. You cannot win football games like that. When they're there for the taking you have to take them and this scrub coach doesn't do the necessary things for the Cowboys to take these games. Worst coach in the league. By far. Like Callahan said years back "we give games away and that's a reflection of me." This team takes on the indentity of Garrett. That's why they close these games. That's why they come up short time after time and don't take these games when they're there. We could be in control of the division right now if we had just an average coach. WAKE UP JERRY.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
What do you expect? I cannot believe this ****. I cannot believe how incompetent Garrett it is. I was one of his biggest fans, but this streak has really illustrated just how much of a bum he has and how Romo made him. He can't win one ******* game without him. THREE games where the Cowboys were in control and once again they blow it. I'm so sick of it. How can you expect to win with this bum? He's an absolute disgrace of a head coach. He has no balls. He plays to lose. You cannot win football games like that. When they're there for the taking you have to take them and this scrub coach doesn't do the necessary things for the Cowboys to take these games. Worst coach in the league. By far. Like Callahan said years back "we give games away and that's a reflection of me." This team takes on the indentity of Garrett. That's why they close these games. That's why they come up short time after time and don't take these games when they're there. We could be in control of the division right now if we had just an average coach. WAKE UP JERRY.

Shine on you crazy diamond.

cml750

Reaction score

Glad you finally realize the painful truth!!!

Hoofbite

Reaction score
People misread why we were so successful in 2014. It wasn't because of DeMarco Murray and the running game. It was due to Tony Romo having one of the great passing seasons of all time and by far his personal best. The second Giants game is instructive. We ran the ball as well as you can, amassing 233 yards at 5.7 per carry. We lost because Cassel threw three interceptions that caused us to lose the passing battle with the Giants.

4 turnovers - no matter how they come about - is a recipe for disaster under almost any circumstance. You finish a game -4 in turnover margin and you're gonna lose more than 95% of the time.

cml750

Reaction score
Today. Now, next week, he might not.

I have not kept up with his posting history but the post I responded to was pretty strong. If he flip flops from that then I do not what to say.