Still think the defense is going to be better

cmoney23

Reaction score
That the Defense is going to be better "because it has to be?" :confused:

I always hated that saying...because anything can get worse!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
No I think it will be better once we can get starters in there. Using SD pre season game as the tell all with so many starters out of the lineup is a bit of a reach. I did not come into this season expecting some top 10 defense do I think it can be better than last year? Yes.

erod

Reaction score
That the Defense is going to be better "because it has to be?" :confused:

I always hated that saying...because anything can get worse!

This is still a vastly deeper group of defensive linemen than those hobos we ran out last December.

birdwells1

Reaction score
This is still a vastly deeper group of defensive linemen than those hobos we ran out last December.

What would your grade for last year's dline be?

Right now what would grade this years dline be?

Doomsday101

Reaction score

At best last years DL gets a D. As for this unit? I don't know since 5 starters did not even play in the SD game 2 of them on the DL.

birdwells1

Reaction score
You can't grade each dline. One was the worst in History, the other has not played a real game yet.

Maybe the poster that I responded to can, he said "This is still a vastly deeper group of defensive linemen than those hobos we ran out last December". Not being funny I just wanted him to expound on it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I would kill for Ware and Hatcher right now.

Ware a couple of years ago I agree but what he showed over the last 21 games was not close to being great. As for Hatcher right now he will miss some time with the scoop he just had done to his knee. He waits until the end of OTA to have his knee scooped? fans here would have been up in arms with that.

birdwells1

Reaction score
At best last years DL gets a D. As for this unit? I don't know since 5 starters did not even play in the SD game 2 of them on the DL.

I would agree with the assessment of last years group but I think that this years group will probably top out as a "C". That is an improvement but I think to realistically compete for titles the dline needs to be in the B+ to A area.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I would agree with the assessment of last years group but I think that this years group will probably top out as a "C". That is an improvement but I think to realistically compete for titles the dline needs to be in the B+ to A area.

I don't know a lot will depend on overall team play. Offense as well. Last years unit played poorly but did create turnovers something Marinelli defense seem to have a knack of doing because he teaches it, works on it and constantly stays on players about stripping the ball and going after the ball. As for this group I think many things are up in the air in terms of who starts. I think Melton will start outside of that I think there will be some battles for jobs alone the DL and LB. Does Durant get the job or does McClain show himself as the real deal and the reason he was selected 8th overall? As I said I don't expect top 10 I do expect better than last season, not because it can't get worse but because I think these guys are better than a bunch of street FA who were being signed off the couch in the middle of the season.

erod

Reaction score

Last year: F, bunch of nobodies. Nevis, Wynn, Cohen, Vega, Brown, Jones.....and Ware wasn't any better than they were with his injuries.

Now: C- that could be a B when Lawrence and Spencer arrive. Melton, Selvie, and McClain didn't play in San Diego.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I would kill for Ware and Hatcher right now.

If Hatcher was here fans would be calling him part of the problem, not part of the solution. His injury would be lumped in with all the rest of them.

As for Ware... no matter what happens, he wasn't going to be worth 12 million to Dallas. He is looking pretty good in camp, just like he has the last two years. It is when the games start and the wear and tear starts building up on him that he loses his effectiveness.

No thanks on both of them.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I would never say because "it has to be"
But I'll still say that the defense will be better as measured by Total Defense.