CFZ Still too early to predict what any team is

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It has never been more true- the NFL is the most unpredictable league in sports. It’s only week 3, and there a have already been multiple surprises and upsets. Just when we think we know what these teams are, we have reminders like yesterday, we don’t.

Some quick examples- How many of us expected this to start the NFL year?
  • Jaguars leading the AFC South at 2-1
  • Undefeated Miami leads the AFC East 3-0 after beating the bills yesterday.
  • The undefeated teams so far are Miami, Filly, and the midgets (hopefully that changes tonight) Who would have predicted that to start the season?
  • Scoring is way down to start the 2022 season but the lions are averaging 31 ppg.
And going into game 3 tonight against the nyg, the Cowboys are still a great mystery. These questions still remain:
  • Will the running game return to being effective?
  • Can the defense show consistency?
  • Can Cooper Rush continue to play well enough to get a win?
  • Will the WRs show improvement as a group?
  • Will Michael Gallup’s return this evening make an immediate difference?
Nothing surprises me anymore in the NFL. I expect the Cowboys to win tonight but Mon night games on the road are usually a roller coaster ride. Dallas has more talent but the margin isn’t as big as it used to be.

Still too early in the season to know what any team is yet.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It has never been more true- the NFL is the most unpredictable league in sports. It’s only week 3, and there a have already been multiple surprises and upsets. Just when we think we know what these teams are, we have reminders like yesterday, we don’t.

• The undefeated teams so far are Miami, Filly, and the midgets (hopefully that changes tonight) Who would have predicted that to start the season?
  • Scoring is way down to start the 2022 season but the lions are averaging 31 ppg.
And going into game 3 tonight against the nyg, the Cowboys are still a great mystery. These questions still remain:
Nothing surprises me anymore in the NFL. I expect the Cowboys to win tonight but Mon night games on the road are usually a roller coaster ride. Dallas has more talent but the margin isn’t as big as it used to be.

You can make judgements on plenty of teams. Eagles for example.

Majic

Reaction score
My early thoughts. (subject to change!)
AFC West now looks over-rated. Maybe only Chiefs get to playoffs?
AFC South-looks competitive, Jags have appointed the right coach.
AFC East-fantastic job by Dolphins HC
AFC North-Browns are well coached and were written off too early
NFC South-I'd be worried if I were a Saints fan. Payton's stock may rise further
NFC North-Lions better, but DEF looks short. Bears getting wins but what are they learning about their QB?
NFC West-another division that looks over-rated. Are the Rams actually that good?
NFC East-Eagles schedule is so soft.Cowboys will need to beat them twice to win division

12+88=7

Reaction score
Amazing how if Dallas were to win tonight, the team that was proclaimed DEAD week one by everyone under the sun will be in 2nd place in the NFCE.

I laughed at all those overreaction threads week one. This is a week to week league. If someone says they know, they're lying, they don't.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can make judgements on plenty of teams. Eagles for example.
Yes the eagles have looked great. Mia too. Who else? And will that still be true in Oct?
As you say, it is early...

But, in the NFC East so far, results are reflective of "who won" in the off-season...
Good point. The eagles had a very good off-season. But we still don’t really know if their improvement is sustainable.

Remember when Carson Wentz was so good to start the 2017 season? He seemed like the next Peyton Manning. That didn’t stay true. DCs will start figuring out how to stop Hurts in the near future. Then it will be interesting to see how he handles that.

Macnalty

Reaction score

Jason Peter's addition to Oline should be an improvement. Gallup will struggle first game back after ACL, hard to trust those repairs at first when coming back. The running game will surprise me if it is the main contributor to the offense. Cooper Rush winning another game would confirm how out of touch I am at judging QB talent in the NFL.

fredp22

Reaction score
going to give a shot at your questions
  • Will the running game return to being effective? NO-our OL is still struggling
  • Can the defense show consistency? Yes-its well coached
  • Can Cooper Rush continue to play well enough to get a win? Can he-yes. Will he-no. Our OC is in over his head
  • Will the WRs show improvement as a group? Not really by that much-We really dont have a #1. Gallup and Lamb are both #2's
  • Will Michael Gallup’s return this evening make an immediate difference? Not that much. Its his 1st game back after a lengthy injury

tyke1doe

Reaction score
NFC South-I'd be worried if I were a Saints fan. Payton's stock may rise further
NFC North-Lions better, but DEF looks short. Bears getting wins but what are they learning about their QB?
NFC West-another division that looks over-rated. Are the Rams actually that good?
NFC East-Eagles schedule is so soft.Cowboys will need to beat them twice to win division
:clap:
Very good synopsis.

Flinger

Reaction score
Yes the eagles have looked great. Mia too. Who else? And will that still be true in Oct?

Good point. The eagles had a very good off-season. But we still don’t really know if their improvement is sustainable.

Remember when Carson Wentz was so good to start the 2017 season? He seemed like the next Peyton Manning. That didn’t stay true. DCs will start figuring out how to stop Hurts in the near future. Then it will be interesting to see how he handles that.

Not that it matters, but I live outside of Philly and hear about the Eagles all the time...

Hurts? Time will tell. But he is showing a positive trendline that is pointing up. He is also the "type" of leader I wish we had - quiet, but determined and strong. He subletly went about challenging the Washington Commanders front office to make changes to people barriers at their stadium for fan and player safety after a near tragic event last year that resulted in changes. How does that translate to the field? He is endearing himself to the team and his fans in a very positive way.

Defense? Haven't looked at the stats, but they must be close to the top. 2nd consecutive week with a 24-0 lead at halftime. Their front office did a masterful job of building the front 7 AND strengthening their backfield. Yesterday? 9 Sacks. 9. Carson Wentz or no Carson Wentz...

Chemistry? They are confident and together. Reminds me of their Super Bowl run...

Us? Jerry as engineered the disassembly of the 1st ranked offense in NFL during the off-season. 5 missing starters from last year. Dak is injured. But our defense looks strong. Just wish Jerry and his cronies could figure out it takes a whole team to win championships.

It's going to be another long season as a Cowboys fan in Eagle country... regardless of outcome even if it is so early...

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not that it matters, but I live outside of Philly and hear about the Eagles all the time...

Hurts? Time will tell. But he is showing a positive trendline that is pointing up. He is also the "type" of leader I wish we had - quiet, but determined and strong. He subletly went about challenging the Washington Commanders front office to make changes to people barriers at their stadium for fan and player safety after a near tragic event last year that resulted in changes. How does that translate to the field? He is endearing himself to the team and his fans in a very positive way.

Defense? Haven't looked at the stats, but they must be close to the top. 2nd consecutive week with a 24-0 lead at halftime. Their front office did a masterful job of building the front 7 AND strengthening their backfield. Yesterday? 9 Sacks. 9. Carson Wentz or no Carson Wentz...

Chemistry? They are confident and together. Reminds me of their Super Bowl run...

Us? Jerry as engineered the disassembly of the 1st ranked offense in NFL during the off-season. 5 missing starters from last year. Dak is injured. But our defense looks strong. Just wish Jerry and his cronies could figure out it takes a whole team to win championships.

It's going to be another long season as a Cowboys fan in Eagle country... regardless of outcome even if it is so early...
Most Cowboys fans figured out a long time ago JJ Is the best salesman in sports but doesn’t have a clue how to build a championship organization. Great marketing does not equal great roster building.

Last edited:

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score

I wouldn’t put the Chargers or the Ravens to bed quite yet, especially with the first dealing with injuries though yea it is part of the game. The Ravens have that wildly explosive powder keg of an offense, yet they’re inconsistent it seems.

The Raiders are a bit curious as well, though like what we saw with Buffalo yesterday a ton of these teams live and die by their QB play. Carr makes some seriously boneheaded plays, a shame considering the firepower he has at his disposal.

Though we’re only through a fraction of the season, the AFC seemingly has far more talent than the NFC. Miami, Buffalo and dare I say the Jaguars look really good as an entire package.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score

I live mostly in Florida now, but will confirm what you wrote. It might be a long off season too if the Saints keep losing, since I believe the Eagles have their 1st round pick next year.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
The Chargers are VASTLY overrated ... so far.
If Any-Given-Sunday had a dictionary picture: Indy 20-KC 17.
Miami and Philadelphia do not surprise me.
On another forum, I picked Miami to battle Buffalo for the division title. Some posters laughed me to scorn.
Having said thus, I worry about Tua's durability.
The key to beating Arizona is to contain Kyler Murray to the pocket.
Besides, he needs his top receivers back in the worst way.
If Miami goes on to win the AFC East, destiny thy name is the BUTT PUNT! :laugh:
Jalen Hurts liabilities won't show up until playoff time.
Tom Brady can't wait until he gets Evans and Godwin back.
Just when you think the Lions have turned the corner ...
Kirk Cousins wasn't playing in a national spotlight game? Well, that explains it.
Call them Rocket man because both Jameis Winston and Gino Smith have come crashing back to earth.
Wince worthy. Yikes!
And I used to think he was better than Dak. :laugh:
Didn't you use to be Josh McDaniels: offensive guru?
Aaron Rodgers looks like he wants to call it a career.
Lamar doing it with his ... arm?
Let Russ Cook? Let Russ BOOK as in run Russ run!
Forcing it into triple coverage? San Francisco got Jimmy Geed!
Nothing like playing the Jets to get your ship righted.
OSU the NEW wide receiver U.
The talent is there with the Jags; they just needed the coaching.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

I still have my doubts about Hurts, but he has exceptional character and is unflappable under pressure. I've not seen any wide-eyed stares like I have with a quarterback we're most familiar with.