CFZ Still too early to predict what any team is

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is too early to tell but that's the same in most seasons because many are a work in progress with just the HC changes every season.

The other issue is all of the early injuries affecting teams now that may settle down in a few weeks.

There has been as much, if not more, really sloppy play to start this season. And there really isn't a solution because these coaches aren't risking players in pretend games. Bad enough losing them in the first 3 weeks.

However, I think the alarms going off with the Cowboys offense are warranted because they really looked bad to open the season with the QB1 and do they have the horses on offense to fix that once he gets back in the saddle?

With this ownership, is camp really a time to prepare for the season, and particularly the opening game because Landry's opening day record was no accident, or is it just another opportunity for self-promotion and spinning the season?

75boyz

Reaction score
Yep. The old cliche it's a marathon not a sprint comes to mind. So very hard nowadays for a team to sustain a level of excellence over an entire season because of so many variables. Especially team health.

I hope all the answers to the Cowboys questions you posed here can be answered positively leading up to the end of the season.

So, here's to the hope for overall team improvement in all phases and playing their best ball heading into January.

Cheers

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Bet many fans don't know in three games Hurts has more rushes than Lamar Jackson so far........ 37 vs 26 for Jackson. Like Jackson, the threat of his legs sets up his passing coz he's a good runner with the ball. Now add to that, TWO legit top 5 receivers to worry about also. I know some are saying he can't read defenses and that may be true but another side of that coin is with all their weapons, defenses can't read/predict their offense. Let's be honest, most of us have admitted the only thing that was holding them back was the QB position. If they fix that, we have a problem, and IMO Hurts is legit.

Majic

Reaction score
I wouldn’t put the Chargers or the Ravens to bed quite yet, especially with the first dealing with injuries though yea it is part of the game. The Ravens have that wildly explosive powder keg of an offense, yet they’re inconsistent it seems.

The Raiders are a bit curious as well, though like what we saw with Buffalo yesterday a ton of these teams live and die by their QB play. Carr makes some seriously boneheaded plays, a shame considering the firepower he has at his disposal.

Though we’re only through a fraction of the season, the AFC seemingly has far more talent than the NFC. Miami, Buffalo and dare I say the Jaguars look really good as an entire package.

Chargers are struggling for consistency. Ravens have had some bad luck once again with injuries, although I still think they win AFC North. Raiders have too many mouths to feed, I don't think they can pull this around.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep. The old cliche it's a marathon not a sprint comes to mind. So very hard nowadays for a team to sustain a level of excellence over an entire season because of so many variables. Especially team health.

I hope all the answers to the Cowboys questions you posed here can be answered positively leading up to the end of the season.

So, here's to the hope for overall team improvement in all phases and playing their best ball heading into January.

Cheers
Yeah with 14 games still to go, lots will change.

quickccc

Reaction score
It has never been more true- the NFL is the most unpredictable league in sports. It’s only week 3, and there a have already been multiple surprises and upsets. Just when we think we know what these teams are, we have reminders like yesterday, we don’t.

Some quick examples- How many of us expected this to start the NFL year?
  • Jaguars leading the AFC South at 2-1
  • Undefeated Miami leads the AFC East 3-0 after beating the bills yesterday.
  • The undefeated teams so far are Miami, Filly, and the midgets (hopefully that changes tonight) Who would have predicted that to start the season?
  • Scoring is way down to start the 2022 season but the lions are averaging 31 ppg.
And going into game 3 tonight against the nyg, the Cowboys are still a great mystery. These questions still remain:
  • Will the running game return to being effective?
  • Can the defense show consistency?
  • Can Cooper Rush continue to play well enough to get a win?
  • Will the WRs show improvement as a group?
  • Will Michael Gallup’s return this evening make an immediate difference?
Nothing surprises me anymore in the NFL. I expect the Cowboys to win tonight but Mon night games on the road are usually a roller coaster ride. Dallas has more talent but the margin isn’t as big as it used to be.

Still too early in the season to know what any team is yet.

Jax seem to be under a far more organized, better coaching regime. That brims confidence, aggression and discipline.
They are schemed and placed in better position, than the previous ridiculous coaching regime, they are play faster and in tuned to their skill set.

Now we'll see what happens when they play the more competitve teams on their schedule.

- Ditto with Philly ... Washington Commandoes are mud, .and Wentz is purely journeyman. What happens when they play Tampa Bay, LA Rams and Green Bay as we'll face as well ?

- Maybe Hurts has improved by leaps and bounds, maybe Devontae has developed and coming into his own, and maybe the addition of AJ Brown has placed that offense up a notch.
and guys like TE Dallas G, and speedster Quez Watkins does help also. - We'll just see once they meet the bigger opponents

Flinger

Reaction score
I live mostly in Florida now, but will confirm what you wrote. It might be a long off season too if the Saints keep losing, since I believe the Eagles have their 1st round pick next year.

Good point. They Eagles are built from the inside out. They are young. And, they have 2 1st round draft choices next year. They have a GM that understands all 3 phases of player acquisition - draft, free agency, and trade. Our guy? Top 10 WR for a 5th... and a bag of chips...

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
It has never been more true- the NFL is the most unpredictable league in sports. It’s only week 3, and there a have already been multiple surprises and upsets. Just when we think we know what these teams are, we have reminders like yesterday, we don’t.

• The undefeated teams so far are Miami, Filly, and the midgets (hopefully that changes tonight) Who would have predicted that to start the season?
  • Scoring is way down to start the 2022 season but the lions are averaging 31 ppg.
And going into game 3 tonight against the nyg, the Cowboys are still a great mystery. These questions still remain:
Nothing surprises me anymore in the NFL. I expect the Cowboys to win tonight but Mon night games on the road are usually a roller coaster ride. Dallas has more talent but the margin isn’t as big as it used to be.

This uncertainty is what makes the season so interesting.
I like it...

slick325

Reaction score
Good post Bullet.

The Jags should really be 3-0. They had the game against the Commanders and lost it late. Pedersen is a really good coach.

shabazz

Reaction score
Some here might say that the first 8 games for out team last season was too early too…….

Flinger

Reaction score
I still have my doubts about Hurts, but he has exceptional character and is unflappable under pressure. I've not seen any wide-eyed stares like I have with a quarterback we're most familiar with.

Hum... Personally, I don't denegrate the player. He is a Cowboy. Therefore, he is family. He is who he is. He is doing the best he can. Personally, I like him and don't think he's all that bad. Good enough. Also, I don't like hearing my baby is ugly....

Now... Jones and his son? Different story. He should know better. But he doesn't. Because he's a fool.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

There’s much to cover in this thread, probably better suited for multiple threads covering several teams .

First of all I can’t imagine why we’d expect the Cowboys to win tonight. We are underdogs . NY is off to a good start and our identity is unknown or established with too many uncertainties offensively including at QB,OL and WR . At least we agree they are a mystery. The better reason not to expect a win .

And if we look closer at the schedules of the rest of the NFL not as big of surprises. We always put too much into our expectations from previous season when we know each season is on its own merits.

Most knew Miami would be better. The Jags had enough talent with all of the top picks in last few years to be improved . The Egirls were expected to be improved. I haven’t seen anything yet based on their schedules and potential thoughts heading into this season totally surprising .

But it’s still early as you said to be placing too much importance after 3 weeks. I still think Buffalo and KC are the top teams in AFC. Miami , Cin , Balt , maybe Tenn still best of the rest. Teams like Den, LAC ( if Herbert is healthy) could still make some noise. In the end Jags prob a .500 type team which would be a major improvement.

In the NFC… LA, Tampa and GB appear to still be top teams. Phil looks improved . Maybe AZ,Minn and or Chi.

Hard to say where the Cowboys will shake out. Depends whether we can win a couple more games without Dak. But I see us as more of a WC contender , maybe even division contender but that was before Daks injury.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Hum... Personally, I don't denegrate the player. He is a Cowboy. Therefore, he is family. He is who he is. He is doing the best he can. Personally, I like him and don't think he's all that bad. Good enough. Also, I don't like hearing my baby is ugly....

Now... Jones and his son? Different story. He should know better. But he doesn't. Because he's a fool.
Fair enough.

exciter

Reaction score

Eh, Jets suck, so do the Texans regardless of their record ever!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Amazing how much better a QB can play with better players around him. And he has a real coach and coordinator now.

Even their defense looked improved.
Will be an interesting game and good test next week at Eagles.
Too bad it will be on the same time as the Dallas game. However, I will put it on my iPad or laptop to keep an eye on.

Usually would have game mix on to do so, but not with the Dallas game on.