Stock Trading thread

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
I picked up a bunch of Rite Aid today following its 18% crash, despite beating WS estimates and increasing their consensus. Also have been inventing in SPACs and the entertainment space.

Hopefully this becomes a fun thread.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Do you day trade? How do you pick a stock? What’s your success rate?

kskboys

Reaction score
Been making some nice bucks buying stuff like Disney, Coke, MGM.

Also, have a friend doing research and he's made me some bucks on NVAX, SHLL, NETE, and some others.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
RKT is extremely low right now and is an excellent buy. Is a future blue chip stock. They are the largest mortgage originator in the US. (Quicken Loans and Rocket Mortgage) Super over sold and is a great time to get some. Other than that the entire market has been struggling now. SH is good as it is an inverse ETF. I don't own any because I am tied up in RKT and in TBIO. Both have been down which is why if you are not in RKT now, it is a good time to get in.

kskboys

Reaction score
Someone mentioned Prudential to me yesterday as a buy.

aria

Reaction score
If you like volatility and gambling check out WKHS. A lot of people banking on a USPS contract that should be announced relatively soon. It could fly or die based on that news but if it crashes it may be a good time to buy for the future.

CNK has been pretty volatile as well and is one of the virus stocks that got hit hard but hasn’t recovered at all. I’m in the red right now and starting to get a bit worried because major movie releases keep getting delayed. The good news is unlike AMC, they have ~900 million in cash IIRC or enough to get through 2021 if things stay the way they are. Any good vaccine news and it will spike, if a vaccine comes out next year I would double down assuming the price is somewhere in the mid teens or lower.

Missed my chance with NVAX, had been day and swing trading that stock off an on for about 2-3 years. Every time it went up it would come back down like clock work....until the virus hit. I owned 2K shares at ~$7 each, after a made a few grand I sold, expecting it to come back down like always. It kept going up and I was laughing to myself that it would crash hard, typical pump and dump. I think it finally hit $180 pps or a little more. I could still use a high bridge just thinking of how much I could have made.

John813

Reaction score
I've stayed put on a lot of things this year. Even with these bad weeks in tech, still ahead YTD wise so no complaints.
Trying to convince myself to load up more on Amazon.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Unless you went to Harvard Business Svhool out there like you will lose trying to play the markets. People won’t tell you about losses but only the wins. If your smart you’ll put your assets into the hands of a professional.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've been a real estate investor for about thirty years, flipping, renting, development and now a real estate agent in my retirement. Been very good to me, I made a bunch of money off of a foreclosure a few years back. Didn't feel good about it, so I threw it into the market. I found myself looking at it several times a day and didn't like the aggravation. I actually lost about 20k, so I cashed out and bought a Corvette..
I like real estate because I can take all the credit or blame.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I bought into Apple when they split earlier this month. Long haul investment.

Been trading Sirius XM and Twitter.
I had a broker, I'm gonna throw 10k into an ETrade acct for my daughter. She's a senior in college and I'd like for her to get some experience. Do any of you recommend something different?

Creeper

Reaction score
I buy and sell bridges. Right now I am selling. Anyone want to buy a bridge in Brooklyn. It's old but sturdy. Also, I don't have all the paperwork on it so you'll just have to trust me.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I had a broker, I'm gonna throw 10k into an ETrade acct for my daughter. She's a senior in college and I'd like for her to get some experience. Do any of you recommend something different?

Like a long term investment play?

I mean honestly I’d throw money at Apple. They’re a blue chip company that was trading at $499/share in July before they split the stock 4:1. That doesn’t mean the stock will reach that mark again but I’d wager good money (I have in shares, lol) they’ll likely double or triple the share price in the next 3-5 years. I bought in at I think $127/share. Stock is currently $112 so it’s at an accessible price point for a lot of people.

I’m terms of short-term investment, if you want her to get experience watching the market, using indicators and trading go with something with a little volatility. I like Sirius XM because I’m familiar with how they move. They generally trade in the $5-7/share range. It’s currently trading at $5.12; if you threw $10K at it at that price (~1,950 shares) a $0.75 pop in share price would mean an easy $1,400 in a week or two. That’s easy money.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like a long term investment play?

I mean honestly I’d throw money at Apple. They’re a blue chip company that was trading at $499/share in July before they split the stock 4:1. That doesn’t mean the stock will reach that mark again but I’d wager good money (I have in shares, lol) they’ll likely double or triple the share price in the next 3-5 years. I bought in at I think $127/share. Stock is currently $112 so it’s at an accessible price point for a lot of people.

I’m terms of short-term investment, if you want her to get experience watching the market, using indicators and trading go with something with a little volatility. I like Sirius XM because I’m familiar with how they move. They generally trade in the $5-7/share range. It’s currently trading at $5.12; if you threw $10K at it at that price (~1,950 shares) a $0.75 pop in share price would mean an easy $1,400 in a week or two. That’s easy money.
My dad came from Mexico back in 1955 when he was twenty. He got a job at a large bakery and worked up to management and started buying stock. Anheuser busch bought the company and my dad's stock kept splitting? He made a killing, that was my intro to the stock market. I remember reading the paper when I was a kid and looking at stocks. I'd like for her to get that experience.

NorthoftheRedRiver

Reaction score
Unless you went to Harvard Business Svhool out there like you will lose trying to play the markets. People won’t tell you about losses but only the wins. If your smart you’ll put your assets into the hands of a professional.

The markets are most certainly a challenge for the individual investor and there is mucho manipulation out there. You bet, most investors would never be honest about their performance. Most of them are just fooling themselves. It takes a lot of trust in others to bet on their 'hot tips'. I won't do it.

Your mileage may vary, but I would never put something this important into the hands of another. I've been an active investor for about forty years now. I've built a moderate amount of wealth in doing so, but it took a tremendous amount of study and still requires several hours each day. Having met quite a few finance/investing professionals over the years, I would trust few of them with my financial future. One can figure this out, but it takes real work to be successful over time.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
The markets are most certainly a challenge for the individual investor and there is mucho manipulation out there. You bet, most investors would never be honest about their performance. Most of them are just fooling themselves. It takes a lot of trust in others to bet on their 'hot tips'. I won't do it.

Your mileage may vary, but I would never put something this important into the hands of another. I've been an active investor for about forty years now. I've built a moderate amount of wealth in doing so, but it took a tremendous amount of study and still requires several hours each day. Having met quite a few finance/investing professionals over the years, I would trust few of them with my financial future. One can figure this out, but it takes real work to be successful over time.
I did what you did for about 40 years albeit as a career Marine I didn’t have much to invest. But after my military career and when I started making some real money I realized my investing skills were not making me any money. At best I was just breaking even. So I did some research, made some phone calls, interviewed a few financial investors and settled on one outfit. I pay them 1% of my assists per month. In 3 years, I’ve tripled my portfolio. I kept trying to play them market or pick the hot stock usually when it was already at a high. These guys have a pretty good idea what’s going to happen 6 months ahead of time. In February when Covid first came into play they moved my money into bonds and some other things I still don’t understand. But instead of losing the 15% that the rest of the market lost, I only lost 4%. And even before the market started to rise, they moved me back in to equities, index funds, mutual funds and I rode that up to where I’m way ahead of the market for this year. Previous years they positioned me well to ride the market up. I, or you or any individual without not only a Harvard or similar degree and years of experience in the business would have no clue. You may think you’ve done well, and maybe you have, but don’t try to push that on to anyone else. That’s narcissistic and dangerous.

Bigdog

Reaction score
I have stock I’m GE and it is taken a killing. I bought it 12 years ago when it was $7 a share and has not done well. I also have mutual funds that I invest in monthly. Dollar cost averaging is the best way to go and build some wealth. You can never time the market. I like a lot of people lost money back in March, gained it back and then some, lost some of it again this past month. Not worried though as I am not ready to retire for a while and I can buy low right now.

Bigdog

Reaction score
I did what you did for about 40 years albeit as a career Marine I didn’t have much to invest. But after my military career and when I started making some real money I realized my investing skills were not making me any money. At best I was just breaking even. So I did some research, made some phone calls, interviewed a few financial investors and settled on one outfit. I pay them 1% of my assists per month. In 3 years, I’ve tripled my portfolio. I kept trying to play them market or pick the hot stock usually when it was already at a high. These guys have a pretty good idea what’s going to happen 6 months ahead of time. In February when Covid first came into play they moved my money into bonds and some other things I still don’t understand. But instead of losing the 15% that the rest of the market lost, I only lost 4%. And even before the market started to rise, they moved me back in to equities, index funds, mutual funds and I rode that up to where I’m way ahead of the market for this year. Previous years they positioned me well to ride the market up. I, or you or any individual without not only a Harvard or similar degree and years of experience in the business would have no clue. You may think you’ve done well, and maybe you have, but don’t try to push that on to anyone else. That’s narcissistic and dangerous.
Thank you for your service.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Lol, you don’t need a degree from Harvard to trade stock and do well. If you’re playing with serious money then of course it may be worth your while to have a professional do it for you.

It’s like white collar gambling; don’t invest more than you can afford to lose.