Stock Trading thread

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Lol, you don’t need a degree from Harvard to trade stock and do well. If you’re playing with serious money then of course it may be worth your while to have a professional do it for you.

It’s like white collar gambling; don’t invest more than you can afford to lose.
Go forth and conquer.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Unless you went to Harvard Business Svhool out there like you will lose trying to play the markets. People won’t tell you about losses but only the wins. If your smart you’ll put your assets into the hands of a professional.
I am an Investment Banker at a top 10 firm. As anyone who knows my real name can verify.

I can not legally invest in Technology, Media, or Telecommunications companies.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Rite Aid's market value is $546.4MN.

Well good lord, I'd buy it at that price if I had the cash.

How does a pharma company crash in the middle of a pandemic? Just for announcing they aren't looking into M&A?

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Rite Aid's market value is $546.4MN.

Well good lord, I'd buy it at that price if I had the cash.

How does a pharma company crash in the middle of a pandemic? Just for announcing they aren't looking into M&A?
Though nothing I say should be considered investent advice.

Just my own personal take.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Lol, you don’t need a degree from Harvard to trade stock and do well. If you’re playing with serious money then of course it may be worth your while to have a professional do it for you.

It’s like white collar gambling; don’t invest more than you can afford to lose.
And really, by far the best school of finance in the US is a different Ivy......Penn’s Wharton School of Business.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
And really, by far the best school of finance in the US is a different Ivy......Penn’s Wharton School of Business.
Wharton certainly carries that reputation, although it is a product of Wharton turning out endless amounts of MBAs into Investment Banking, Private Equity, and Hedge Funds each year.

The most impressive colleagues I have who are post-MBA went to Stanford's Business School. Very few people from Stanford go into finance, so those that do are typically elite.

lukin2006

Reaction score
I picked up a bunch of Rite Aid today following its 18% crash, despite beating WS estimates and increasing their consensus. Also have been inventing in SPACs and the entertainment space.

Hopefully this becomes a fun thread.

I would like to get into stocks...but I always too nervous. Any books that you can recommend someone read before they would invest?

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
I got into forex a several years ago and a friend (former hedge fund guy, worked alongside some big names almost anyone here would recognize) has taught me some things.

Currently short USD/SGD, a position I’ve held for approximately 140 days.

I’m no professional trader at this point (I own my own business which is very successful) but it’s something I feel like would be interesting to pursue in the future. I don’t want to sit around and screw around all day like some retirees.

Any tips?

kskboys

Reaction score
Holy Moly, I now am a Playboy!!!!!

Seriously, just bought stock. It'll be first thing tomorrow morning.

Playboy went public and is merging w/ MCAC, a spaq company. Bought 101 shares.

Here's one for someone to try, but don't throw too much at it. You never know w/ these spaq's.

ShortRound

Reaction score
After the crash I bought some airlines thinking they would recover by the end of the year. Sold them for some profit when I realized it would take years not months.

I also made a little money on INO and CODX before they dropped back down.

Since then I've expanded to hold AAPL, MSFT, TSLA, and ARKK, ARKW, VUG, ICLN. These have done well and will be the heart of my portfolio.

I bought PLTR off their IPO last week, but I've been burned by a few IPO's and pennystocks, so not a long term hold.

===

This was all during my time working from home since March, before that my money was in a few vanilla mutual funds, I've done a lot better learning and making a few trades here and there.

ShortRound

Reaction score
If you like volatility and gambling check out WKHS. A lot of people banking on a USPS contract that should be announced relatively soon. It could fly or die based on that news but if it crashes it may be a good time to buy for the future.

CNK has been pretty volatile as well and is one of the virus stocks that got hit hard but hasn’t recovered at all. I’m in the red right now and starting to get a bit worried because major movie releases keep getting delayed. The good news is unlike AMC, they have ~900 million in cash IIRC or enough to get through 2021 if things stay the way they are. Any good vaccine news and it will spike, if a vaccine comes out next year I would double down assuming the price is somewhere in the mid teens or lower.

Missed my chance with NVAX, had been day and swing trading that stock off an on for about 2-3 years. Every time it went up it would come back down like clock work....until the virus hit. I owned 2K shares at ~$7 each, after a made a few grand I sold, expecting it to come back down like always. It kept going up and I was laughing to myself that it would crash hard, typical pump and dump. I think it finally hit $180 pps or a little more. I could still use a high bridge just thinking of how much I could have made.

lol I almost bought NKLA, but I bought ARKK etf for the WKHS exposure, felt too risky for me.

Hardline

Reaction score
Anyone invested in bitcoin?
I almost did when it was at $2000 a bitcoin.
As of today it's over $10.000

Hardline

Reaction score
Bitcoin is a mess. I wouldn't touch it
Why?
I wouldn't mess with it now but in hindsight I was stupid for not investing in it. I probably would've cashed out by now with a nice profit

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Why?
I wouldn't mess with it now but in hindsight I was stupid for not investing in it. I probably would've cashed out by now with a nice profit
I bought Bitcoin and Litecoin in 2013 as part of a final project for an Management Information Systems class in college.

I sold almost immediately after.

I had 10 Bitcoin and I believe 1,000 Litecoin.

Got a 100 / 100 on my final though.......... 7 years later, I would trade that for the coins back LOL.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I’m terms of short-term investment, if you want her to get experience watching the market, using indicators and trading go with something with a little volatility. I like Sirius XM because I’m familiar with how they move. They generally trade in the $5-7/share range. It’s currently trading at $5.12; if you threw $10K at it at that price (~1,950 shares) a $0.75 pop in share price would mean an easy $1,400 in a week or two. That’s easy money.

Circling back on this to highlight the point I made previously. That post (shown above) was made on 9/26. SIRI closed at $5.82 yesterday. A $10,000 investment would have yielded a $1,367 in less than two weeks (almost exactly how I laid it out).

That’s not life changing money but if you’re a novice or just starting off, playing with these low-risk stocks with predictable volatility can make you easy money. You keep building your cache and the money grows exponentially (equally, the risk/losses too, lol).

Last edited:

TheCowboy

Reaction score
What are your guys' thoughts on robo-adviser platforms like Weathfront?

NorthoftheRedRiver

Reaction score
There is a happy ground between the two extremes of 1) buying on tips or 2) turning it all over to a broker/advisor. There are numerous individuals and outfits that sell and maintain investment model portfolios. You just need to identify your investment goals and philosophies based on where you are and what's important to you. Once you know this, one can then identify investment models that matches your needs. That gives you 100% control over your investment decisions, while still giving industry expertise that you can lean on. This is what I do. The guys that maintain my model study the sectors that I'm interested in, reading analyses and listening in on calls. I could never read enough to match their level of continual research. I augment my decisions with their recommendations. If anyone wants a link to where many of these investment model outfits can be found, PM me. (I'm not selling a thing.)

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I would be curious about investing strategies depending upon who is elected in November