Stoops overated....

CactusCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
I am an OU grad, love the Sooners, but Stoops and has been overated for several years now. I am not saying he is a poor coach, he is very good, but since his brother left, D has not been so good. I also believe they run a silly offense, some of the plays are just weird. I think this is the year Texas gets um.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Stoops will be in Dallas in two years. You heard it here first. :cool:

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
CactusCowboy said:
He just got beat by the Hornfrogs at home. Pathetic.

Oh I smell who you are. You might have changed your name. But I know a rat when I sniff one.

Stoops had nothing to do w/ the execution of the OL and his QB. The QB have about 30 snaps between then both. The OL is nearly completely rebuilt and we have 2 WR that have played. Everyone else is green as green can be.

Step off OU. They will get it together.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Dallas said:
Oh I smell who you are. You might have changed your name. But I know a rat when I sniff one.

Stoops had nothing to do w/ the execution of the OL and his QB. The QB have about 30 snaps between then both. The OL is nearly completely rebuilt and we have 2 WR that have played. Everyone else is green as green can be.

Step off OU. They will get it together.
You know me, Dallas. I'm a loyal and optimistic fan. I don't think Stoops is overrated, but I don't think he had his team prepared at all today. He should be embarrased.

This loss falls squarely on the coaches. Yes, the players didn't play, but in a case like this when you should blow the team off the field, the coaches need to claim most of the blame for not having their guys up for the job.

I hope they can turn it around quick.

BTW... Bomar from here on out!

GTaylor

Gif Dude
Reaction score
Fletch said:
Stoops will be in Dallas in two years. You heard it here first. :cool:

If so we're screwed, besides Mack has he beaten any name coach?

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Danny White said:
You know me, Dallas. I'm a loyal and optimistic fan. I don't think Stoops is overrated, but I don't think he had his team prepared at all today. He should be embarrased.

This loss falls squarely on the coaches. Yes, the players didn't play, but in a case like this when you should blow the team off the field, the coaches need to claim most of the blame for not having their guys up for the job.

I hope they can turn it around quick.

BTW... Bomar from here on out!

Agreed DW. I dont know what has happend to this coaching staff. I think Stoops needs to get Venerables and Long together and chew some ***. Why is Venerables not playing a press D. All I saw today was our CB's 8-10 yrds off the WR. They were killing us underneath. If Gunn was more accurate that score would have anouter 21 pts on it. The D started to do some good things but the O never got off its butt. The OL was atrocious. Chuck Long needs to call more run plays than just the same 2 from different formations. What ever happend to running QB? Both our QB's are known scramblers.

Bomer here on out as well. Just give the reigns to the kid and let him see what he can do. This switching QB's ever play or two will never gel the OL. Those guys were under different cadences time after time today. Still....they couldnt stop 10 yr old out there.

Im just bummed. I figured we would show better. Some big issues need to be addressed and soon.

Good to see you DW.

Boomer

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
GTaylor said:
If so we're screwed, besides Mack has he beaten any name coach?
Just some guy named Bobby Bowden. I think he may be the alltime winningest coach.

Stoops is an OK coach ;) but he got his rear handed to him today.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Looks like Stoops is listening to the masses... Bomar will start now. Let's right the ship!

joseephuss

Reaction score
Danny White said:
Looks like Stoops is listening to the masses... Bomar will start now. Let's right the ship!

I could agree with Stoops being overrated or perhaps overhyped is a better term. He won a MNC in his 2nd season. That sets the bar pretty high. He is a great coach, but some people seem to put him on a pedestal that no coach can live up to. But like anyone that is overhyped, that isn't is fault. He isn't going around proclaiming himselft to be one of the best, that is what other people do.

It is tough for any coach to win with pretty much an all new, very inexperienced offense. These guys will probably develop and be very good, but I have to question why they are so inexperienced. I would fault Stoops for being caught in that situation. Why isn't there a better mix of veteran players on the offenesive side of the ball esepcially at QB? OU has been involved in a number of blowouts over the last couple of years. Why hasn't young talent been developed in those games and been given valuable experience? Certainly there is nothing you can do about the experience of a freshman player, but why aren't there any sophomores or juniors contributing out there?

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
God I hope not...

Stoops in the NFL= Spurrier

David

Yah - whatever there David. Keep believing what your smoking. Stoops and his brother Mike in the NFL. I know 15 owners who would sign them in an instant.

Stoops has lost how many games now at home? He has had his team in the NC title game 3x now winning 1.

Whats your team been doing? Losing to Oklahoma?

Go compare Stoops record to any coach in the NCAA over the past 5 years then get back to us about over-rated.

GTaylor

Gif Dude
Reaction score
Don't have to go back 5 years, only have to bring up one stat:

Jimmy Johnson is the only successful coach who made the transition to NFL coach without having any coacching experience, and you have to wonder how much of that was Jerry. Everyone else (Insert college coaching genious here) failed, and failed miserably.

Sure 15 teams would sign Stoops, doesn't mean they're smart or he'll be successful

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
GTaylor said:
Don't have to go back 5 years, only have to bring up one stat:

Jimmy Johnson is the only successful coach who made the transition to NFL coach without having any coacching experience, and you have to wonder how much of that was Jerry. Everyone else (Insert college coaching genious here) failed, and failed miserably.

Sure 15 teams would sign Stoops, doesn't mean they're smart or he'll be successful

That is rediculous. Who said he would be successful? Nobody knows. Hello! I think the whole point of this thread is if Stoops is over-rated. I was pointing to his record. How can you be as successful as he has been and then call him over-rated. I dont get the argument. What makes a coach like Stoops over-rated? His record speaks volumes. How do you argue it?

I dont recall ole Jimmah doing so hot in Miami once he left Dallas for his boat and then came back to coach the fins.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
He got killed by SC. And I mean KILLED!! TCU, I don't care how you execute, and how much talent almost every D 1 school has, if you're Oklahoma, you don't lose to TCU

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Billy Bullocks said:
He got killed by SC. And I mean KILLED!! TCU, I don't care how you execute, and how much talent almost every D 1 school has, if you're Oklahoma, you don't lose to TCU

Spoken like the arm chair QB that you are. Well said. :D

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
I don't watch enough OU football to tell anyone he's overrated. Let me rephrase, I don't think he is overrated, OU was overrated last year and didn't need to play SC, Auburn should have.

GTaylor

Gif Dude
Reaction score
Billy Bullocks said:

I think in a few weeks we're going to realize that TCU was underrated

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
GTaylor said:
I think in a few weeks we're going to realize that TCU was underrated

That's what I've been trying to tell people...

They were down a bit last year, but have had three 10-win seasons very recently...