Stop talking Green Bay

links18

Reaction score
Coach didn't put me on the active roster this week so my energies really won't have an effect on the game.

It's not about affecting the game. I just don't understand people who seem to pay more attention to what is going to happen in the offseason than the games still to be played. In the game threads, people talk about who is going to be here next year and who isn't, who is angling for contract position. Etc. Geez, just enjoy the season. It's short enough as it is. The offseason will get here soon enough, unfortunately.

EST_1986

Reaction score
It's not about affecting the game. I just don't understand people who seem to pay more attention to what is going to happen in the offseason than the games still to be played. In the game threads, people talk about who is going to be here next year and who isn't, who is angling for contract position. Etc. Geez, just enjoy the season. It's short enough as it is. The offseason will get here soon enough, unfortunately.

You realize we don't play the games right? We just watch them and thats a 3 hour window during a 168 hour week. Me being focused on a game isn't going to do anything for the players actually playing. How much can I sit and think about a 3 hour window of my life, we're fans, looking ahead hurts absolutely nothing.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
What relevance does that have to the post you quoted me on?

You said: Many assume we're going to get past Detroit but the Cowboys are 7-11 vs the Lions since 81. They've given the Cowboys a lot of trouble over the years. Even during the early 90's the Cowboys were 1-3 against them.

It's the same theme as all the posts from me t you in this thread. Yesterday doesn't mean anything to today. Or to copy the exact comment I made in a reply to you:

Yesterday was a song by Paul McCartney, and a place in time that has no influence on tomorrow. Or two days after tomorrow

So one might make the argument that the meaning was there all along.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You said: Many assume we're going to get past Detroit but the Cowboys are 7-11 vs the Lions since 81. They've given the Cowboys a lot of trouble over the years. Even during the early 90's the Cowboys were 1-3 against them.

It's the same theme as all the posts from me t you in this thread. Yesterday doesn't mean anything to today. Or to copy the exact comment I made in a reply to you:

Yesterday was a song by Paul McCartney, and a place in time that has no influence on tomorrow. Or two days after tomorrow.

So one might make the argument that the meaning was there all along.

Your comments about Emmitt being the only back to win a rushing title and SB in the same year had no relevance what so ever to any of my comments. The Cowboys have had trouble with the Lions through the years with a 7-11 W/L record since 81. They've been a difficult team for the Cowboys to beat over the years and it's been consistent. The last 2 games between them have been very difficult with the Cowboys losing both games in the 4th quarter. The Lions provide match up problems for the Cowboys especially Megatron vs our secondary. He had 14 catches last season for 329 yards a career best but that doesn't concern you because that's in the past right?

Are you saying you think Sundays game will be a cakewalk for the Cowboys? All I've been saying throughout this thread is I'm expecting a tough game and you want to argue that? I'll ask you the same question I asked the other poster who has yet to respond what method do you have in picking winners and losers and to gage how a game will play out? Do you take wild guesses or draw straws? You're not concerned about Calvin Johnson due to the success he's had vs the Cowboys defense the last 2 times he's faced them because that was in the past and has no bearing on Sundays game?

links18

Reaction score
You realize we don't play the games right? We just watch them and thats a 3 hour window during a 168 hour week. Me being focused on a game isn't going to do anything for the players actually playing. How much can I sit and think about a 3 hour window of my life, we're fans, looking ahead hurts absolutely nothing.

I don't think fans looking ahead hurts anything. I just don't get fans who can't live within a season. I find it depressing to think Murray or Dez might not be here next year. I'd rather enjoy the remaining games with them wearing the star than ponder their contract status....

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Your comments about Emmitt being the only back to win a rushing title and SB in the same year had no relevance what so ever to any of my comments. The Cowboys have had trouble with the Lions through the years with a 7-11 W/L record since 81. They've been a difficult team for the Cowboys to beat over the years and it's been consistent. The last 2 games between them have been very difficult with the Cowboys losing both games in the 4th quarter. The Lions provide match up problems for the Cowboys especially Megatron vs our secondary. He had 14 catches last season for 329 yards a career best but that doesn't concern you because that's in the past right?

Are you saying you think Sundays game will be a cakewalk for the Cowboys? All I've been saying throughout this thread is I'm expecting a tough game and you want to argue that? I'll ask you the same question I asked the other poster who has yet to respond what method do you have in picking winners and losers and to gage how a game will play out? Do you take wild guesses or draw straws? You're not concerned about Calvin Johnson due to the success he's had vs the Cowboys defense the last 2 times he's faced them because that was in the past and has no bearing on Sundays game?

When you use history to set a stage for your argument, I refute how history works by suggesting no one from a team winning the Super Bowl had won the rushing title until Emmitt did it. It clearly states what was is no longer. You may argue that point as you like. But it clearly shows an example of what many assumed was a constant did change. So when you proffer because of yesterday the results could be the same, I say history shows that isn't necessarily so.

Previous outcomes do not influence this contest.

Then you ask me if I think this will be a cakewalk. Followed by your query into how one decides who will win and ended with Calvin Johnson.

It makes me think you skimmed my replies and did not read them.

I will do this one last time.

This is not the same team. They have an offensive line which is the best in the game, followed by the best running game. I referenced the Packers, who do not have as potent a running game seemed to handle the front of the Lions.

The Lions have conventionally put six in the box against all teams they have faced. But teams abandoned the run in some cases. Doing the math from NFL . com the other team ran an average of 17 times against the Lions. That included the QB scramble.

Carolina had 15 rushes for a total of 37 yards and won in a road game for Lions - - Car. ranked 7 in rushing.
Buffalo had 57 yards on 16 carries in a home game for Lions - - Buf. ranked 25 in rushing.
Arizona had 21 carries for 48 yards in a road game for the Lions - - Az ranked31 in rushing.
New England has 20 runs for 90 yards in a road game for the Lions - - NE ranked 18 in rushing.
Green Bay posted 125 yards on 31 carries un a road game for the Lions - - GB tanked 11 in rushing.

So put six in the box and this Dallas team dominates the clock and the game. Murray and Co. can rush for over 100 yards. These Lions are not the 46 defense of the Bears.

Put 8 in the box and Dez becomes Superman. Romo will back then put of that idea. Then is becomes a chess match with them guessing what is coming next. I like the advantage of Linehan here.

It's called balance.

Do I think this will be easy? No. Not at first. I understand Calvin Johnson. But he is not my worry. He will see a double all day long. Golden Tate is not what I am concerned about. He will see Scandrick and I'll take that match up.

What worries me is Reggie Bush out of the backfield in their passing game.

But Dallas still gets the ball. If this team plays turnover free football, they will win this game. This offense is not last year's offense. Facts is this defense is not last year's defense.

Just my opinion.

lothos05

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Dallas was 6-1 against Detroit from '60-'77 and holds an overall series lead 13-12. So, I'm curious as to why '81 is the cut-off year?

While I agree that Detroit will be a tough out, I believe their history will have no bearing on Sunday's game (unless the coaches decide to dust off last year's plan to single cover Johnson). The outcome will be determined with how well Dallas deals with Detroit's front 6 and how they decide to cover Johnson, Tate and Bush.

Edit: last sentence is in total agreement with TwoDeep's post above. That's what I get for posting on a phone.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
When you use history to set a stage for your argument, I refute how history works by suggesting no one from a team winning the Super Bowl had won the rushing title until Emmitt did it. It clearly states what was is no longer. You may argue that point as you like. But it clearly shows an example of what many assumed was a constant did change. So when you proffer because of yesterday the results could be the same, I say history shows that isn't necessarily so.

Previous outcomes do not influence this contest.

Then you ask me if I think this will be a cakewalk. Followed by your query into how one decides who will win and ended with Calvin Johnson.

It makes me think you skimmed my replies and did not read them.

I will do this one last time.

This is not the same team. They have an offensive line which is the best in the game, followed by the best running game. I referenced the Packers, who do not have as potent a running game seemed to handle the front of the Lions.

The Lions have conventionally put six in the box against all teams they have faced. But teams abandoned the run in some cases. Doing the math from NFL . com the other team ran an average of 17 times against the Lions. That included the QB scramble.

Carolina had 15 rushes for a total of 37 yards and won in a road game for Lions - - Car. ranked 7 in rushing.
Buffalo had 57 yards on 16 carries in a home game for Lions - - Buf. ranked 25 in rushing.
Arizona had 21 carries for 48 yards in a road game for the Lions - - Az ranked31 in rushing.
New England has 20 runs for 90 yards in a road game for the Lions - - NE ranked 18 in rushing.
Green Bay posted 125 yards on 31 carries un a road game for the Lions - - GB tanked 11 in rushing.

So put six in the box and this Dallas team dominates the clock and the game. Murray and Co. can rush for over 100 yards. These Lions are not the 46 defense of the Bears.

Put 8 in the box and Dez becomes Superman. Romo will back then put of that idea. Then is becomes a chess match with them guessing what is coming next. I like the advantage of Linehan here.

It's called balance.

Do I think this will be easy? No. Not at first. I understand Calvin Johnson. But he is not my worry. He will see a double all day long. Golden Tate is not what I am concerned about. He will see Scandrick and I'll take that match up.

What worries me is Reggie Bush out of the backfield in their passing game.

But Dallas still gets the ball. If this team plays turnover free football, they will win this game. This offense is not last year's offense. Facts is this defense is not last year's defense.

Just my opinion.

I used the Lions/Cowboys matchups spanning 18 games over a 33 year period to point out how consistently difficult the Lions have been for the Cowboys and continue to be while you pointed out that Emmitt was the only back to ever win a rushing title and SB in the same year. :rolleyes: There's no connection to that and the point I made...none! What was then with Emmitt is no longer but what has been with the Cowboys and Lions over the past 33 years is still going on and we have a game from last season between the two teams to prove it. As for skimming your posts I don't have time for a marathon debate over this we're going to wrap this up and move on it's almost game day. As for doubling Calvin Johnson you make it sound like that will solve the dilemma of trying to cover him. He makes plays in double coverage going up and high pointing the ball taking it away from defenders like we see Dez do routinely.

He's made plays like that in triple coverage all Stafford has to do is put the ball in the area and let Johnson go up and get it. You mentioned Reggie Bush he'll be another player the Cowboys will have to contain especially out in space. I'm only in this thread because a FAN is looking past the Lions which is typical of the Cowboys FAN base. After blowing out Indy and Washington some seem to think Sundays game is in the bag. The Cowboys need to jump on Detroit and try and gain some separation because this could end in a real nail biter in the final 7 minutes.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Dallas was 6-1 against Detroit from '60-'77 and holds an overall series lead 13-12. So, I'm curious as to why '81 is the cut-off year?

While I agree that Detroit will be a tough out, I believe their history will have no bearing on Sunday's game (unless the coaches decide to dust off last year's plan to single cover Johnson). The outcome will be determined with how well Dallas deals with Detroit's front 6 and how they decide to cover Johnson, Tate and Bush.

Edit: last sentence is in total agreement with TwoDeep's post above. That's what I get for posting on a phone.

I used 81 as the cutoff year because someone had posted the 7-11 record favoring Detroit since 81 so I used that rather than look up the entire record. As you pointed out it's 13-12 which shows how competitive the matchups have been between the 2 teams. The only history I'm concerned with is the last 2 matchups in 2011 and 2013 where Calvin Johnson combined for a staggering 22 catches for 425 yards and 3 TD's. If they can't contain him any better than they have the Cowboys will likely be looking at a one and done. Brandon Carr is still carrying the burn marks from last years game.

lothos05

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I used 81 as the cutoff year because someone had posted the 7-11 record favoring Detroit since 81 so I used that rather than look up the entire record. As you pointed out it's 13-12 which shows how competitive the matchups have been between the 2 teams. The only history I'm concerned with is the last 2 matchups in 2011 and 2013 where Calvin Johnson combined for a staggering 22 catches for 425 yards and 3 TD's. If they can't contain him any better than they have the Cowboys will likely be looking at a one and done. Brandon Carr is still carrying the burn marks from last years game.

Thanks for the reply, KJJ! I missed it earlier in the thread.

I agree--my main concern is how they're going to defend Johnson (there cannot be a repeat of last year's plan to have him single-covered) and then followed by Bush because of the injuries at LB. However, I am eager to see how the O-line measures up against Detroit's D-line especially Suh and Ansah.

I'm not sure how Marinelli is going to call coverages against Johnson but looking at the games over this past year, the coaching staff does seem to learn from their mistakes/losses. For example, after the Washington loss . . .
  • the Offense shored up their protection after having trouble with the A gap blitz and stunts Haslett threw at them (although, iirc they had some problems in the Arizona game as well)
after the Eagles loss . . .​
  • the Defense tightened up their zone coverage (could have been more man coverage calls?) so Matthews wasn't running all day behind the LBs; they also were much more disciplined in the run game.
I can't pin-point this one but sometime after the Arizona game, Dallas started using the middle of the field in the passing game. It seems that Witten and Beasley were used much more as well as Murray out of the backfield.

So, I believe, on the whole, the coaching staff, does learn from their mistakes/losses. I wouldn't expect them to repeat their flawed plan of single coverage for Johnson. Now, Johnson may still wreak havoc and as long as Marinelli mixes up his coverages, I can accept that. It just means that Dallas does not have the necessary talent in the secondary to bottle up Johnson.

One thing for sure though, we will find out in 37+ hours!

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I used the Lions/Cowboys matchups spanning 18 games over a 33 year period to point out how consistently difficult the Lions have been for the Cowboys and continue to be while you pointed out that Emmitt was the only back to ever win a rushing title and SB in the same year. :rolleyes: There's no connection to that and the point I made...none!

Yes, there is a link and a point. One you refuse to acknowledge.

What happened yesterday and for the last 33 tears doesn't matter when they hit the field. None of that will have any bearing on what happens this game. None of it matters once the game begins.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yes, there is a link and a point. One you refuse to acknowledge.

What happened yesterday and for the last 33 tears doesn't matter when they hit the field. None of that will have any bearing on what happens this game. None of it matters once the game begins.

I know where you're coming from on this but I see no link to the points I've made on the Cowboy/Lions history of playing each other and Emmitt being the only RB to win a rushing title and SB in the same year. We see things differently on that so no point in discussing it any further. You don't like looking at the past so if you were a coach you would throw away the game film from last years Cowboys/Lions match up but I can assure you the Cowboys coaching staff will look back at that game to try and figure out how to better defend Johnson who's killed the team both times he's faced them. I've heard interviews with coaches talking about an upcoming matchup between a team and they'll talk about how historically tough a matchup that particular team has been for them over the years. When I make predictions I look at trends/patterns. Sometimes an opponent can have your number and no matter what type of team they have from year to year they always give you a tough game. At one point years ago the Dolphins had beaten NE over 20 consecutive times. Every time NE faced the Dolphins the media kept bringing up the losing streak and I'm sure it got into the heads of the NE players.

Heading into Dec everyone kept bringing up the Cowboys/Romo's bad Decembers even though a lot of the Cowboy players weren't apart of the team when all that got started. It's the media and the fans looking at past Decembers that had become a noticeable trend until it was finally bucked this season. Hopefully it's the start of a string of good Decembers to come. Now we're hearing about Romo's playoff issues even though his 3 playoff losses are from years ago. Its been a trend with him not to play well in the playoffs and it's created some demons he's going to have to deal with just like his Decembers blues. Your past can have an affect on the present if it's become a pattern. The fact the Cowboys have only a one game advantage over Detroit since they started playing in 1960 shows how competitive their matchups have been despite the Cowboys 8 SB appearances and 5 championships. The Lions on the other hand are one of only four NFL teams to never even reach a SB but they've won almost half of their games with the Cowboys over the years.

I pointed out the Lions 3-1 advantage over the Cowboys in the early 90's and that was mostly due to the Cowboys inability to contain Barry Sanders. Only once did the Cowboys beat Detroit with Barry Sanders and they had issues containing Sanders that day. The Cowboys are currently 0-2 vs the Lions with Megatron who's another great Detroit player the Cowboys have had issues containing. One weakness the Cowboys continue to have that's been carrying over from past seasons has been their pass coverage. When you couple their pass coverage issues with the lack of a pass rush the Cowboys have had this season minus Ware it makes containing Johnson an even more daunting task. If the Cowboys get too caught up trying to defend Johnson it opens up an opportunity for Tate to have a big game. Reggie Bush is a matchup nightmare for LB's and if the Lions get him out in space it can lead to some big plays. Detroit has some weapons offensively and Stafford is capable of lighting it up and has had success against the Cowboys. If the game comes down to the final 7 minutes with the Cowboys clinging to a 3 point lead there's going to be some serious nail biting going on amongst Cowboys Nation.

Not only do we have to worry about Johnson going up and making contested catches we have to worry about the PI calls down the field trying to cover him. Carr has had issues with coverage and PI calls and will have a big target on his back come Sunday. Carr is going to need a lot of help because him matched up with Megatron is like Mike Tyson matched up with Marvis Frazier it's no contest. Anything can happen tomorrow but I'm expecting a 4 quarter battle and the Cowboys being able to run the football is going to be critical to their success. Not being able to run the ball last season due to Murray being out led to the Lions controlling the ball for over 35 minutes giving Johnson a lot of opportunities. The Cowboys had the ball with 1:24 left on the clock and ended up losing yards on 2 consecutive running plays by Randle and Tanner resulting in a very quick series giving the Lions just enough time to beat the Cowboys in the end. The Cowboys have to keep Johnson and the Lions offense off the field especially if the game is on the line in the final minutes.

Last edited:

boysfan69

Reaction score
Man if the players were thinking as much about playing Green Bay in two weeks as many on this board, we'd be in big trouble. Detroit game is going to be a huge dogfight. You don't average giving up 69 yards rushing per game all year with smoke and mirrors. And if we don't control time of possession running the ball, that is all the more opportunities for Megatron against our secondary. Let's win this game first. Bad karma to talk about the next one...

damn god point lets get the first win then move on to the next. coach J.G. said it best I week at a time

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Now we can start talking Green Bay.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Co-sign.
And I'll add: can we please stop holding this team up to the 90s Cowboys? Let them write their own place in Dallas football history. Tell the story of how the 2014 Cowboys got here and stop holding up the 90s mirror.

This is an EXCELLENT post...

Cebrin

Reaction score
So....about Green Bay....Wait, would you like an appetizer? Maybe some Lion limbs?