Stopping the run, 1 goal for any defense!

glimmerman

Reaction score
I think we are all crossing our fingers. Here in NY it's gotten better, but hearing reports in the southern states that it's getting worse, including Texas.
Florida had 8500 new cases yesterday and 9500 new cases today..

kskboys

Reaction score
We hear the same mantra from the defensive coaches: #1 priority need to stop the run, make the opponent become one dimensional.

-We are all aware the Cowboy Rush Defense was exposed in that Ram playoff loss, many would point to the Colt defeat a few weeks prior. Xwalker has explained numerous times how we failed to adjust to the zbs scheme in which New England did against the Rams in the Super Bowl.

-The Cowboy Defense was ranked #11 in the league against the run last season, this was very misleading as the defense struggled badly against the run for the majority of the season. Throw in their inability to stop the screen pass, which is an extension of the run, it was a total disaster. The three NFC North games come to mind, Green Bay, Minnesota and Chicago.

-During the Wade Phillips years as the team's HC/DC, the Cowboys were one of the better run defenses in the league. They were a defense that rarely needed to bring down a safety for run support. Many think the 3-4 scheme is more about disguising who is rushing the passer, but it is actually designed to be a better scheme to stop the run.

-The best alignment to stop the run is the 5-2 front. Five down lineman and two linebackers. Many of the early posts regarding Nolan's scheme has discussed this type of formation. We have discussed 4 down lineman and another DE/SOLB Designated Pass Rusher. This role is more for a DE then it is for a linebacker. That is a 5-2 front and should be strong at stopping the run.

-If the team is unable to win the early rushing downs, we can forget about all those exotic rush packages. Stopping the run is the team;s #1 priority, if that's accomplished, the defense vastly improves this season!
We've been trying to tell Jerry this for years. His comprehension of NFL football is very bad.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think we are all crossing our fingers. Here in NY it's gotten better, but hearing reports in the southern states that it's getting worse, including Texas.
I think you might want to read the huge red warning sign at the top of the page.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I wish it was that simple. We have no idea what we’ll get from Smith or Gregory and although not good at the run, we lost our best pass rusher. We also have a DC that had the bottom 10 worst ranked defenses last time he was DC and they continually got worst to almost last in the league then he was fired.

Still lots to prove and lots of questions.

True we have "lots to prove and lot's of questions", but I think our DL now has the building blocks in place for the 1st time in a long time to make a big difference on defense. The running games that picked us apart in the past are going to be put on notice. NO MORE!
Well, hope so anyway!

aria

Reaction score
True we have "lots to prove and lot's of questions", but I think our DL now has the building blocks in place for the 1st time in a long time to make a big difference on defense. The running games that picked us apart in the past are going to be put on notice. NO MORE!
Well, hope so anyway!
I’m definitely hopeful and not to be negative nance but I believe my concerns are legitimate. I don’t think everything is upgraded as easily as some think. Again, I hope I’m wrong but I can’t mentally ignore obvious question marks.

Williamsboys

Reaction score
It's funny how we spend so much draft capital and free agency on defense and it's still considered the weakness of this team. When are fans going to see better results??

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
We hear the same mantra from the defensive coaches: #1 priority need to stop the run, make the opponent become one dimensional.

-We are all aware the Cowboy Rush Defense was exposed in that Ram playoff loss, many would point to the Colt defeat a few weeks prior. Xwalker has explained numerous times how we failed to adjust to the zbs scheme in which New England did against the Rams in the Super Bowl.

-The Cowboy Defense was ranked #11 in the league against the run last season, this was very misleading as the defense struggled badly against the run for the majority of the season. Throw in their inability to stop the screen pass, which is an extension of the run, it was a total disaster. The three NFC North games come to mind, Green Bay, Minnesota and Chicago.

-During the Wade Phillips years as the team's HC/DC, the Cowboys were one of the better run defenses in the league. They were a defense that rarely needed to bring down a safety for run support. Many think the 3-4 scheme is more about disguising who is rushing the passer, but it is actually designed to be a better scheme to stop the run.

-The best alignment to stop the run is the 5-2 front. Five down lineman and two linebackers. Many of the early posts regarding Nolan's scheme has discussed this type of formation. We have discussed 4 down lineman and another DE/SOLB Designated Pass Rusher. This role is more for a DE then it is for a linebacker. That is a 5-2 front and should be strong at stopping the run.

-If the team is unable to win the early rushing downs, we can forget about all those exotic rush packages. Stopping the run is the team;s #1 priority, if that's accomplished, the defense vastly improves this season!

If you think prioritizing stopping the run is ahead of stopping the pass in today's NFL you'll win no more than 2 games a season.

"The cowboys defense was #11 in the league last season, this was very misleasing" then you don't even explain why it us misleading. You don't struggle the majority of the season then rank 11th.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
A 5-2 would basically be the same as calling a blitz. You're basically down to man coverage and a single- high, or some thinned-out zone look. A couple plays of it wouldn't kill you, but playing it in base would like blitzing every down.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
A 5-2 would basically be the same as calling a blitz. You're basically down to man coverage and a single- high, or some thinned-out zone look. A couple plays of it wouldn't kill you, but playing it in base would like blitzing every down.

It's my understanding that they will still be a four man front, but have a stand-up DE as the team's SOLB. That player can either rush or drop back in coverage. It's in essence a 5-2 formation. The pressure packages will have 5 rushers on a given play no matter what the front they will be in. This is not uncommon, but different then what Marinelli licked to do only rushing 4.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think McCoy is on a 3 year and Poe a 2 year?

They are both bridge, veteran starters. Hopefully one of Gallimore/Hill develops into a quality starter when McCoy's contract is up. As for the 1 Tech, the future starter isn't on the roster, although Poe/Woods should be a good combination this coming season.

kskboys

Reaction score
They are both bridge, veteran starters. Hopefully one of Gallimore/Hill develops into a quality starter when McCoy's contract is up. As for the 1 Tech, the future starter isn't on the roster, although Poe/Woods should be a good combination this coming season.
And this way, not only do Galley and Hill have someone to learn from, the staff can take their time and do it right.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
And this way, not only do Galley and Hill have someone to learn from, the staff can take their time and do it right.

Yes and McCoy seems like a willing teacher to help their development.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys were a top-10 run defense last year.

You can't use a 5-2 other than in goalline or short-yardage situations because teams are primarily in 11 personnel. A 5-2 would get absolutely torched.

He does not mean literally a 5-2.

Both of these are pseudo 5-2 alignments.
(These OLBs play DE in passing situations)
4-3 with big 3-4 type OLB at SLB.
3-4 with a focus on big OLBs.

Basically if you put a DWare type at 4-3 SLB.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's my understanding that they will still be a four man front, but have a stand-up DE as the team's SOLB. That player can either rush or drop back in coverage. It's in essence a 5-2 formation. The pressure packages will have 5 rushers on a given play no matter what the front they will be in. This is not uncommon, but different then what Marinelli licked to do only rushing 4.

Most people don't really read. They just skim.

It's a 4-3 with a DWare type at SLB. People might understand that.

A 3-4 is step smaller than the above alignment but it is 3 DL with 2 hybrid DE/LBs at each end which is also similar to a 5-2.

People see 5-2 and think you literally mean 5 DL. You explained what you meant but they see 5-2 and can't get past it.