Stopping the run, 1 goal for any defense!

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's so disorienting thinking that the coaches might use the most appropriate personnel for the situation.

Using Woods and Poe helps to solve our relative lack of pass rushing DTs, as that would let McCoy focus more on nickel than the base.

Very good for Woods' career to be getting snaps at RDT. Maybe he'll be able to get a decent contract when he hits free agency.

The 1tech can be either RDT or LDT.

Belichick uses an alignment that would be the equivalent of:
DLaw.....Woods.....Poe.....McCoy

He also uses an alignment that would be the equivalent of:
DLaw@LB.....Woods.....Poe.....McCoy.....Gregory@LB

Nolan has used similar alignments.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, when I reference the term base defense, I am talking the early run downs. In the past the Cowboys have used Crawford as the team's RE in their base defense cause he was more of a run defender.

Yes, that's the most common way the term is used.

I understand Future's point that base is technically the formation that is used on the most snaps; however, that is not how coaches use the term.

Road Trip: "I'm going to stop for a Coke". (In reality I get a Dr. Pepper. Coke was used to indicate soft drink.)

DuncanIso

Reaction score
The 1tech can be either RDT or LDT.

Belichick uses an alignment that would be the equivalent of:
DLaw.....Woods.....Poe.....McCoy

He also uses an alignment that would be the equivalent of:
DLaw@LB.....Woods.....Poe.....McCoy.....Gregory@LB

Nolan has used similar alignments.

we should hope that Edwards and Tomsula run the DL.

we do not want Nolan anywhere near the DL.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
It seems the whole coaching structure was a mess. Two DC's, I know they have used that in the past, but it didn't seem like Marinelli/Richard were ever on the same page, not like when Eberflus was the team's passing DC. Garrett was the HC in title but he seemed to be totally hands off on the defensive side of the football. Change was necessary. Having an experience HC in MM should hold Nolan accountable.

Marinelli was terrible the entire time he was in Dallas.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The injury that Jaylon had in college never caused a problem for him in terms of pushing forward.

If there is a physical problem with him pushing forward, it is not because of the nerve damage.

The issue with the Pro Bowl Skills Challenge and the bag is an absurd attempt to confirm confirmation bias.
- The AFC team had a Lineman push the bag AND he hit the bag from a running start.
- Jaylon (for unknown reasons) walked up to the bag and started pushing without a running start. Those bags were rigged to make that almost impossible.

I've watched him on the field where there a hundreds of snaps and multiple camera angles. The "bag" video is meaningless.

Confirmation bias? You're in the grips of cognitive dissonance, ignoring evidence that doesn't fit your preconceived notions.

You can ignore reality if you like, but it doesn't make it any less real.

Was he pushing off with both legs, or not? Jaylon couldn't push one bag, when the game was to push 3 *cumulatively*.

The problem with pushing off is not what I would expect to see with his injury, but it's there regardless, and your speculation that his drop foot problems aren't related to problems pushing off belies problems in the nerves in one muscle in fact does tend to cause problems in the antagonist muscles.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I don't see the word base in the OP.

He is saying that a 4-3 with a 3-4 type OLB as the SLB is basically a 5-2. If you line up a DWare or Spencer type OLB at the SLB in and 4-3 defense, then it's basically a 5-2 or a 4.75-2.25...

The OP:
We hear the same mantra from the defensive coaches: #1 priority need to stop the run, make the opponent become one dimensional.

-We are all aware the Cowboy Rush Defense was exposed in that Ram playoff loss, many would point to the Colt defeat a few weeks prior. Xwalker has explained numerous times how we failed to adjust to the zbs scheme in which New England did against the Rams in the Super Bowl.

-The Cowboy Defense was ranked #11 in the league against the run last season, this was very misleading as the defense struggled badly against the run for the majority of the season. Throw in their inability to stop the screen pass, which is an extension of the run, it was a total disaster. The three NFC North games come to mind, Green Bay, Minnesota and Chicago.

-During the Wade Phillips years as the team's HC/DC, the Cowboys were one of the better run defenses in the league. They were a defense that rarely needed to bring down a safety for run support. Many think the 3-4 scheme is more about disguising who is rushing the passer, but it is actually designed to be a better scheme to stop the run.

-The best alignment to stop the run is the 5-2 front. Five down lineman and two linebackers. Many of the early posts regarding Nolan's scheme has discussed this type of formation. We have discussed 4 down lineman and another DE/SOLB Designated Pass Rusher. This role is more for a DE then it is for a linebacker. That is a 5-2 front and should be strong at stopping the run.

-If the team is unable to win the early rushing downs, we can forget about all those exotic rush packages. Stopping the run is the team;s #1 priority, if that's accomplished, the defense vastly improves this season!
They are in essence going to use a variation of a 5-2 in their base. 7 men in the box won't expose the defense what so ever, it's actually designed to take away a quick/short passing game.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yes, that's the most common way the term is used.

I understand Future's point that base is technically the formation that is used on the most snaps; however, that is not how coaches use the term.

Road Trip: "I'm going to stop for a Coke". (In reality I get a Dr. Pepper. Coke was used to indicate soft drink.)

I understand the confusion that some may have. A "base" defense is a team's normal personnel, without any specialized substitution, like bringing in another DB to replace a LB. The base defense is typically designed to stop the run and is used about 30% of the time throughout a game. Such alignments like nickel/dime defenses are designed to stop the pass and are used about 70% of the time, many called these sub-package defenses. Teams substitute bigger personnel with more coverage type players.

The Cowboys so called "base defense" will in essence be a 5-2 alignment, 4 down lineman, 1 stand-up DE playing Strong-side linebacker. The mike/will linebackers with be off the ball players, thus a 5-2 alignment. Such a personnel grouping should be more effective stopping the run, rather then 4 in Marinelli system playing the run on the way to the QB.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Confirmation bias? You're in the grips of cognitive dissonance, ignoring evidence that doesn't fit your preconceived notions.

You can ignore reality if you like, but it doesn't make it any less real.

Was he pushing off with both legs, or not? Jaylon couldn't push one bag, when the game was to push 3 *cumulatively*.

The problem with pushing off is not what I would expect to see with his injury, but it's there regardless, and your speculation that his drop foot problems aren't related to problems pushing off belies problems in the nerves in one muscle in fact does tend to cause problems in the antagonist muscles.

AFC: Cameron Hayward 295
NFC: Jaylon Smith 245

Hayward is not only 50 pounds bigger, but he gets a good run at the bag before contact which Jaylon didn't.

The bags are rigged such that the tension lets off the first bag once it contact the next bag.

I re-watched the "Bag" drill in slow motion.

He does push with his left leg (the one with the nerve damage). Maybe more than his right leg.

There is definitely some remaining effect from the nerve damage with regards to when he lifts that foot off the ground to bring his foot forward.

I would describe it as toe dragging; although, his toe does not actually drag the ground, it's that type of angle/motion.

Because of it he brings that foot too far forward and up under the bag. Obviously he can't push forward with his foot under the bag and has to move that foot a half step back before pushing forward.

Summary: The is some remaining issue with his leg but there is zero issue with him pushing forward with it.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
I’m definitely hopeful and not to be negative nance but I believe my concerns are legitimate. I don’t think everything is upgraded as easily as some think. Again, I hope I’m wrong but I can’t mentally ignore obvious question marks.
This. Plenty of unanswered questions in the defensive line and backfield. The LB position was pitiful as Smith was exploited and played very poorly at the middle position. Change does not immediately mean success but it’s hopefully and opportunity to fix some of the key defensive positions to be supportive and competitive.

75boyz

Reaction score
We hear the same mantra from the defensive coaches: #1 priority need to stop the run, make the opponent become one dimensional.

-We are all aware the Cowboy Rush Defense was exposed in that Ram playoff loss, many would point to the Colt defeat a few weeks prior. Xwalker has explained numerous times how we failed to adjust to the zbs scheme in which New England did against the Rams in the Super Bowl.

-The Cowboy Defense was ranked #11 in the league against the run last season, this was very misleading as the defense struggled badly against the run for the majority of the season. Throw in their inability to stop the screen pass, which is an extension of the run, it was a total disaster. The three NFC North games come to mind, Green Bay, Minnesota and Chicago.

-During the Wade Phillips years as the team's HC/DC, the Cowboys were one of the better run defenses in the league. They were a defense that rarely needed to bring down a safety for run support. Many think the 3-4 scheme is more about disguising who is rushing the passer, but it is actually designed to be a better scheme to stop the run.

-The best alignment to stop the run is the 5-2 front. Five down lineman and two linebackers. Many of the early posts regarding Nolan's scheme has discussed this type of formation. We have discussed 4 down lineman and another DE/SOLB Designated Pass Rusher. This role is more for a DE then it is for a linebacker. That is a 5-2 front and should be strong at stopping the run.

-If the team is unable to win the early rushing downs, we can forget about all those exotic rush packages. Stopping the run is the team;s #1 priority, if that's accomplished, the defense vastly improves this season!

I don't know but there's another Stats Expert on this forum who says Pffs efficiency ranks are the end all be all with regards to empirical data and it's impact on achieving victory in games.

PFFs rank of the Super Bowl Champs run defense was 29th so take that for what it's worth.

Kinda strange how he hasn't posted on this OP to offer up these numbers in order to disagree, lol.

Go Cowboys

Last edited:

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I don't know but there's another Stats Expert on this forum who says Pffs efficiency ranks are the end all be all with regards to empirical data and it's impact on achieving victory in games.

PFFs rank of the Super Bowl Champs run defense was 29th so take that for what it's worth.

Kinda strange how he hasn't posted on this OP to offer up these numbers in order to disagree, lol.

Go Cowboys

It's very hard to look just at the rankings. Using Kansas City as an example, you would think teams try to control the clock and keep Mahomes on the sidelines.

75boyz

Reaction score

Go Cowboys

No wait, it was Pro Football Outsiders for defense
And PFF for offense...

Anyway,
Whichever cherry picked stats site achieved the personal agenda. Numbers can be manipulated to whatever suits your fancy.:)

kskboys

Reaction score

Go Cowboys
KC completely revamped their D last offseason, changing from a 3-4 to a 4-3. It took a while to get going, but by the end of the season their D was prolly top 5, even though the final numbers don't show it. Take a gander at the points allowed in the last 6 games of the year:

In today's NFL, that is topnotch.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Go Cowboys

Beware of anybody that is overly supportive of PFF. They probably get paid by PFF to "scout" games.

PFF will pay anybody even if they've never seen a football game to watch game footage and "grade players". I've heard they pay about $50 per game...

I've posted both the PFF job listing showing that they don't require experience I posted a resume of a guy that was a paint salesman before working for PFF...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
how many games last year did our defense hold the opponent to less than 21 and superstar couldn't put up enough points to beat them.

The Cowboys played the top 5 defenses in 2019. Of those 4 of 5 never lost a game when their offense scored as many points as they scored against the Cowboys.