Strange Situations = Longest Contract Negotiation

Jinxx13x

Reaction score
I honestly cannot remember any QB Contract negotiation taking this long ( without a doubt their may have been i just cannot recall one ) Seems like this has become the perfect storm situational wise which contributed to this.... If i am missing anything please feel free to add your thoughts

I am sure the Jerry and company media comments have amplified this as well but when you look at everything this is a unique storm sort to speak !

Dak Drafted never expected to start
Romo and company get hurt
Dak Kills it rookie season

Takes the starting job which seemed a long shot or at least years away ( thus causing a divide with the romo lovers when he lost his job, i loved romo and loved what Dak did what a weird place to be)

Since he is not a first round pick rookie contract is less years than expected and lower in comparison. COWBOYS WIN

I am sure Dak did not think he would be in this position to get a pay day like this, this quickly- Maybe eventually but not this soon !

Then you get Wentz and Geoff being paid early not to mention Garapallo ( butchered that spelling i am sure LOL) getting paid while sort of being unproven

Daks agent personally is in a tough position ---- Daks contract needs to be good so he can use it as an example to other potential clients --- with the leagues revenue and pay scale about to shift dramatically in a few years i fully understand why he wants a shorter deal so he can negotiate a second contract we are in uncharted waters !!! I admire Dak for not being afraid to bet on himself ( i also don't blame him for going for his in a cut throat business where his career could end in one hit any of us would do the same thing use leverage we have to get a great deal ) ----- he may never have thought this type of payday was possible ! If Daks agent screws this up, it will be damaging to his career ( i get the agents position although as fans i hate it and i am sure noone cares about him LOL )

We have not even mentioned the Qb company Daks stats have put him with the start to his career. They have him on a path if he keeps it up for greatness !! then on the other hand there are those that argue well there is no superbowl title and he needs a superior cast to achieve what he has done it is a really muddled situation

How much of all this not winning a superbowl talk was Garrets Fault !!

So Many What if's or unanswered questions

I personally love dak and am 100% behind him i have stayed out of the countless threads regarding all the hate.

BUT in all seriousness Just looking at everything leading up to this negotiation it is just a really weird perfect storm.

I really hope this gets worked out soon though so we can move on honestly i am tired of it, but all along this was never a normal contract discussion or situation ! Just my 2 Cents

Jinxx13x

Reaction score
His request must be so unrealistic that they simply aren’t close and that’s why it’s taking so long. That’s really the only thing that makes sense.
But i thought it was a contract length issue not really money or at least thats what i heard

I just think it is crazy all of the things that transpired up to daks new contract as opposed to other QB's

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
His request must be so unrealistic that they simply aren’t close and that’s why it’s taking so long. That’s really the only thing that makes sense.
He saw Zeke getting his money and he is trying to do the same..

J-man

Reaction score
I believe it's about the term not the terms. But if Dak only wants 4 and JJ wants 6, I would think they would split the diff and make it happen.
So it must be more of a gap than we think, like 3yrs vs. 7yrs? Or is it the $ after all?

Either way I'm sick of it and the negative media circus that comes with it. But I get the felling Jerry doesn't mind, regardless of what it is. Any publicity is good publicity.

Jinxx13x

Reaction score
My post is more about all the particular unique factors leading up to this negation which are causing this to play out for so long ! This is so out of the norm compared to say a 1st or 2nd round Qb and should we resign him.. it really is a weird situation

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Give it a few more weeks. I am sure the death of Dak's brother has something to do with a few weeks delay. Neither side is thinking too much about it right now.

Still only May 1st, all is voluntary work right now, as can't have any OTA's, rookies mini camp. When things open up to have actually OTA's, then we may see things heating up a bit.

Oneiros

Reaction score
I believe it's about the term not the terms. But if Dak only wants 4 and JJ wants 6, I would think they would split the diff and make it happen.
So it must be more of a gap than we think, like 3yrs vs. 7yrs? Or is it the $ after all?

Either way I'm sick of it and the negative media circus that comes with it. But I get the felling Jerry doesn't mind, regardless of what it is. Any publicity is good publicity.
From what I recall it seems like one of the offers included a 5 year instead of 6 but Dak only wants a 4.

It's hard to compromise, even if the money is correct, if one side refuses to.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I honestly cannot remember any QB Contract negotiation taking this long ( without a doubt their may have been i just cannot recall one ) Seems like this has become the perfect storm situational wise which contributed to this.... If i am missing anything please feel free to add your thoughts

I am sure the Jerry and company media comments have amplified this as well but when you look at everything this is a unique storm sort to speak !

Dak Drafted never expected to start
Romo and company get hurt
Dak Kills it rookie season

Takes the starting job which seemed a long shot or at least years away ( thus causing a divide with the romo lovers when he lost his job, i loved romo and loved what Dak did what a weird place to be)

Since he is not a first round pick rookie contract is less years than expected and lower in comparison. COWBOYS WIN

I am sure Dak did not think he would be in this position to get a pay day like this, this quickly- Maybe eventually but not this soon !

Then you get Wentz and Geoff being paid early not to mention Garapallo ( butchered that spelling i am sure LOL) getting paid while sort of being unproven

Daks agent personally is in a tough position ---- Daks contract needs to be good so he can use it as an example to other potential clients --- with the leagues revenue and pay scale about to shift dramatically in a few years i fully understand why he wants a shorter deal so he can negotiate a second contract we are in uncharted waters !!! I admire Dak for not being afraid to bet on himself ( i also don't blame him for going for his in a cut throat business where his career could end in one hit any of us would do the same thing use leverage we have to get a great deal ) ----- he may never have thought this type of payday was possible ! If Daks agent screws this up, it will be damaging to his career ( i get the agents position although as fans i hate it and i am sure noone cares about him LOL )

We have not even mentioned the Qb company Daks stats have put him with the start to his career. They have him on a path if he keeps it up for greatness !! then on the other hand there are those that argue well there is no superbowl title and he needs a superior cast to achieve what he has done it is a really muddled situation

How much of all this not winning a superbowl talk was Garrets Fault !!

So Many What if's or unanswered questions

I personally love dak and am 100% behind him i have stayed out of the countless threads regarding all the hate.

BUT in all seriousness Just looking at everything leading up to this negotiation it is just a really weird perfect storm.

I really hope this gets worked out soon though so we can move on honestly i am tired of it, but all along this was never a normal contract discussion or situation ! Just my 2 Cents
Didn't Kirk Cousins play through two franchise tags? Dak hasn't even played on one tag yet.

Last edited:

Maxmadden

Reaction score
I heard on the radio the other day that 7 QB's have gotten the franchise tag. The earliest to reach a contract was Peyton Manning which occurred in March. The other 6 occurred in June July and August.

He is going to sign his Franchise tag in a year when there may not be any football, but I don't see the big contract any time soon.

Dak has endorsements stacked up at the door, but until he signs the long term deal nothing can move forward.

The pressure is on Dak. He knows he wants to be a Cowboy but he can only bluff for so long because he is losing money even if he signs the franchise tender. His endorsement deals will only come after he signs long term. He will agree to a generous deal that Jerry has stipulated but until there is a deadline there will be no movement.

It is just a game that us fans don't want to play.

black label

Reaction score
The Jones are the dumbest on the planet but even they know this doods going to make a fortune and there's something wrong with that lol

CCBoy

Reaction score
I agree...this contract needs to get done. The sooner the better for the team...both coaches and players.

He is the leader, but even he should not lose that focus as well.

He will far and above, set Dallas parameters that equal the top shelf amounts for Elliott and Cooper.

But this fan also carries an old school aspect, of integrity and ethics. This is going down when the whole Nation is intensely hurting, and that is the fan base.
Dak will get his high money, but guy, don't leave behind an image in defiance of the sacrifice already being endured. Don't ever forget that in sports, you are still a role model, no matter how many millions is being floated around and maneuvered to over take.

Give some heart back to some of the fans, that don't wish to worship someone with a bright shiny medal pinned on his chest...

Jinxx13x

Reaction score
Didn't Kirk Cousins play through two franchise tags? Dak hasn't even played on one tag yet.
Yeah i couldnt remember if anyone else had a situation like this, that is a great point forgot about that whole washington thingy. All the different things that happened around dak still make this a very unique situation though

CCBoy

Reaction score
I heard on the radio the other day that 7 QB's have gotten the franchise tag. The earliest to reach a contract was Peyton Manning which occurred in March. The other 6 occurred in June July and August.

He is going to sign his Franchise tag in a year when there may not be any football, but I don't see the big contract any time soon.

Dak has endorsements stacked up at the door, but until he signs the long term deal nothing can move forward.

The pressure is on Dak. He knows he wants to be a Cowboy but he can only bluff for so long because he is losing money even if he signs the franchise tender. His endorsement deals will only come after he signs long term. He will agree to a generous deal that Jerry has stipulated but until there is a deadline there will be no movement.

It is just a game that us fans don't want to play.

Max, you and yours doing fine? Take care, and be safe, my friend...:)