CFZ Strategic roster building

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s not easy to build an NFL roster that competes for a championship. We Cowboys fans know that all too well. But it’s also doubly hard when you don’t have a clear roster building strategy.

What do I mean by “Strategic roster building”? It’s building your roster around these main ideas:
  1. What kind of roster are we tying to build? Is it to be built around speed and finesse? A big physical front 7 on D and a powerful OL than can allow us to run the ball consistently well? A short, quick passing game? Honestly, based on the last several years of offensive and defensive coordinators, I’m not sure it’s clear what kind of roster this FO is trying to build. And if your FO isn’t clear on this, there is no clear strategy.
  2. What are this team‘s personnel needs based on what we want to be? If I were in charge, I would focus on doing a “competitive rebuild”, meaning retooling the roster with our current strengths, shoring up our biggest weaknesses, and making roster decisions based on the idea that this team cannot compete without two strategic upgrades:
    • Building an outstanding running game
    • Building a bigger, physical front 7 on defense
  3. Side Note: I know at least half this board wants a new QB. That would be ok with me if we were willing to :
    • Accept a slower rebuild by either drafting a QB that despite the low odds we get lucky and he’s a home run, or hoping we could be be better with Trey Lance (a very, very long shot) This FO will accept neither.
    • When I look at changing QBs, unless there is a better option available (and right now there isn’t) we must find a way to build around Dak’s strengths and more importantly, shore up his weaknesses through a better running game and defense. I know that’s not popular here for many, but it’s the faster way to get competitive and it’s more realistic considering this owner and son.
  4. With those strategies in mind driving everything, draft and sign FAs accordingly.
Again, I know many will want a new QB. I get it. I would be in favor of that IF this organization were willing to do a slow rebuild and would be willing to roll the dice on developing a young QB. THEY AREN’T.

So we are left with the “competitive rebuild” idea.
Devlop a great running game and a bigger, more physical defense. Based on wanting a faster rebuild within the bounds of being realistic, it’s the way to go. Now whether this FO is capable of being strategic in their building instead of putting together a marketing strategy remains to be seen.

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
For years I think Jerald has been trying to emulate NE‘s system, I think that’s why they keep taking fliers on TEs.

On D, they’ve gone through so many coordinators I don’t think they have had a cohesive plan since the 90’s.

Build a power running game, and a D that can stop a power running game, and the team will always be competitive, plus it keeps the opposition from being able to completely focus on our QB.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Gotta start by recognizing what they are. A good regular season team. They have weapons on offense and a fast defense. But in the post season they lack real toughness. The post season is typically where teams get tougher and the cowboys lack of toughness is exposed. They can not run the ball on offense and the defense can not stop the run.

Offense- I think much of the issue is scheme/personnel fit. Also personal sets and placement, (shotgun vs under center) almost always tip off what they are doing.

Defense- Way undersized vs tough running teams. They wear down too quick. Micah is too easily countered when he lines up at DE. Owners are too infatuated with sacks and therefore have lacked investing into guys who focus on stopping the run.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For years I think Jerald has been trying to emulate NE‘s system, I think that’s why they keep taking fliers on TEs.

On D, they’ve gone through so many coordinators I don’t think they have had a cohesive plan since the 90’s.

Build a power running game, and a D that can stop a power running game, and the team will always be competitive, plus it keeps the opposition from being able to completely focus on our QB.
One of the things that trips up a lot people when thinking about winning in the NFL is the idea that it all 100% falls on the QB. You either have a great one or you don’t.

The problem with that thinking is right now in this league there is ONE great transcendent QB. And even he had to have a great defense to win this year. Thinking all it takes is a great QB is missing that you can at least be competitive for a championship with a great D and and lots of help around the QB. SF, Detroit, LA Rams a couple years ago have modeled that. Purdy and Goff are good but not great. But their FO’s have built a lot around them.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I'm torn Bob, we're in a passing league, yet everyone feels that we need to run the ball, yet running backs pay has been diminished. If I were a RB would I want to be the top RB knowing that I may not see the top money that guys have made over the years like Elliott and Mccaffery

Chasing6

Reaction score
I'm torn Bob, we're in a passing league, yet everyone feels that we need to run the ball, yet running backs pay has been diminished. If I were a RB would I want to be the top RB knowing that I may not see the top money that guys have made over the years like Elliott and Mccaffery
It is a passing league. That is why we went small, undersized and fast at LB. That is why went small, undersized a DT.

That is also why we get dominated against good teams that have balance and can run the ball.

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
One of the things that trips up a lot people when thinking about winning in the NFL is the idea that it all 100% falls on the QB. You either have a great one or you don’t.

The problem with that thinking is right now in this league there is ONE great transcendent QB. And even he had to have a great defense to win this year. Thinking all it takes is a great QB is missing that you can at least be competitive for a championship with a great D and and lots of help around the QB. SF, Detroit, LA Rams a couple years ago have modeled that. Purdy and Goff are good but not great. But their FO’s have built a lot around them.
I always think about our greats and how many HOF-ers they had (or should have), especially Staubach. It takes a complete team, even Brady had a streak of 10 years without winning a SB in his prime years. If he’s the goat, how could that happen?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
It is a passing league. That is why we went small, undersized and fast at LB. That is why went small, undersized a DT.

That is also why we get dominated against good teams that have balance and can run the ball.
right but bigger teams had more success, so do we need a bigger more physical team giving up some speed??

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The best I hope for from Trey Lance is for him to eventually replace Cooper Rush, if that's, somehow, remotely feasible.

Granted, it might very well include an extended period of further development to accomplish such a demanding task. ;)

Last edited:

fivetwos

Reaction score

The problem with that thinking is right now in this league there is ONE great transcendent QB. And even he had to have a great defense to win this year. Thinking all it takes is a great QB is missing that you can at least be competitive for a championship with a great D and and lots of help around the QB. SF, Detroit, LA Rams a couple years ago have modeled that. Purdy and Goff are good but not great. But their FO’s have built a lot around them
A huge problem is them overrating their own draftees and UDFAs. To a major fault.

Are they really being cheap with FA or also just overrating how far their vets can take them?

I mean, I wouldn’t bring in expensive free agents either if I didn’t think I needed them.

They always fall short on the field in the end, yet refuse to as much as consider a change in philosophy.

Something is very wrong.

blueblood70

Reaction score

Fliers???? on TES??/

you're gonna have to elaborate because that's not what's going on here they found a replacement in Dalton Schultz from Whitten who's a very good NFL tight end who just got $12 million a year for three years and he's gone and we upgraded the Ferguson,IMHO Ferguson's a better player he's going to be a starter here for very long time and if you're talking about Schoonmaker, I think he's gonna develop into a very good blocking plus #2 tight end.. I don't know what you mean Fliers you act like we're failing at tight end and we're not...

Some of the comments I I gotta wonder do you even watch the games I mean are we supposed to have first team all pro players at every position are you considered a flyer like a reach?

blueblood70

Reaction score

They have a plan in 2016 they drafted players especially Ezekiel Elliott in the run game to move on from DeMarco Murray they thought it'd be a little easier but in 2015 they found out they were gonna need someone better than say Darren McFadden so they picked the zekiel Elliott they were gonna be a run first team and then when they ended up having to use their rookie quarterback they found out they had a quarterback as well a little bit mobile pretty solid that was the plan run Ezekiel Elliott is Romo friendly turned into Prescott friendly and never gonna run the ball and play defense and sometimes they didn't all come together at the right time but they won 13 games with that plan...

They've been having a hard time developing a good defense but the plan all along was the same as it's always been try to be a run first team and they had at least three pro bowlers on the offensive line in many cases many years that was going to be the plan....

Again the defensive area is the part that seems a little wild but they've been close they need a few pieces but yeah you keep changing names on the defensive side like from marinelli to Nolan to Dan Quinn and now Zimmer it's gonna look at a whack but I'm pretty sure they'd like to play defense keep the scores down run first stop the run and then hit play action that's been the plan from the 90s until now but it don't always work out that way but we've been running team most of the existence of the Dallas Cowboys look at how many great running backs have come through here....

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is a passing league but the better teams these days are blazing new trails with a running game and a very physical defense. SF has a punishing defense and they can run the ball as well as pass.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm torn Bob, we're in a passing league, yet everyone feels that we need to run the ball, yet running backs pay has been diminished.
We need to run the ball effectively. That's the key. Didn't happen last year much.

Has nothing to do with running backs pay being diminished.

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
Fliers???? on TES??/

you're gonna have to elaborate because that's not what's going on here they found a replacement in Dalton Schultz from Whitten who's a very good NFL tight end who just got $12 million a year for three years and he's gone and we upgraded the Ferguson,IMHO Ferguson's a better player he's going to be a starter here for very long time and if you're talking about Schoonmaker, I think he's gonna develop into a very good blocking plus #2 tight end.. I don't know what you mean Fliers you act like we're failing at tight end and we're not...

Some of the comments I I gotta wonder do you even watch the games I mean are we supposed to have first team all pro players at every position are you considered a flyer like a reach?
How many times have they used a second round pick on a TE, or taken a TE in later rounds when much better talent that matched needs was available? Escobar, others. Not just recently, since 2005 or so.

Who is Whitten? lol

Techsass

Reaction score
Early in McCarthy's tenure here he stated that he wanted us to become a more physical team. I don't know, but maybe constantly drafting in the 20s has slowed that transformation down.

We've gotten better, but have always had issues finding defensive studs, especially in the later rounds. The offensive side of the team has always been our strength.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
In the simplest terms, a stout OL that can protect the QB and a defensive front 7 that can pressure the opposing QB. Pretty much everything else flows from these two. It is nice to have All-Pro CB, QB, or WR, but not entirely necessary.

All too often, you hear terms like "build around the QB" or "make the offense QB friendly". How about making QB OL friendly -- infrequent turnovers, can scramble out of a jam or pull off a design QB RPO.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
We better be going bigger because we have that in house with two nice potential Bookend TEs.
I know many have been harsh on the Schoon pick but I mind you step back and take a look at this kid, and give year 2 a chance.
Big smart athletic, strong kid just was extremely green, just take a moment to try and realize what a huge advantage it would be in a league running out of great TEs for a team to poses two.
There is a major drop off in talent at TE once you get past Kelce, La Porta, Hockenson,,,
The TE room is crowded when you take a look at who is returning after being stashed last year.