CFZ Strategic roster building

Chasing6

Reaction score
How many times have they used a second round pick on a TE, or taken a TE in later rounds when much better talent that matched needs was available? Escobar, others. Not just recently, since 2005 or so.

Who is Whitten? lol
And we basically use our 2nd to block only.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
I'm honestly not sure what to think about how we build a good team. I thought the reason Jerry has been tepid in free agency in recent years was due to 2 things: 1) Stephen Jones and 2) Jerry doesn't believe in Dak enough to override Stephen. So given the obvious holes in our run defense and passing attack in the playoffs...I've always just seen us as doomed. If we had a Zeke-type back...we have a shot. But relying on the QB and that run defense - without doing anything in free agency year after year to address it - always FELT like a silent protest from Jerry.

And now...hearing Jerry temper the "all in" comments by stating we won't be that much more aggressive...this makes me feel like we really are just watching an entertainment cash cow.

In 1997, we went 5-11 with a healthy Troy Aikman. And they asked Jimmy what went wrong and he basically said we screwed up a few draft by going for backups. He said, "in football you have to continue to improve, if you're not getting better, you're falling behind...". Well, resigning Micah, CeeDee and Dak doesn't make us "better"...it makes us the SAME with older guys now who are fat with money. That is NOT "all in".

Bottom line: There is no scenario where I see us turning over every stone to win a chip like SF, KC, Buffalo, Detroit, Philadelphia, Minnesota, etc...teams that seem desperate and willing to take big-time gambles and risks to win big. There's no way you go into a season with a gimpy Pollard and unproven Dowdle, draft Deuce Vaughn in the 5th round and then expect your temperamental QB to pull it out on his own. This was a slow-moving accident if I've ever seen one. And it looks like we're all geared up for another one next year.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
We need to run the ball effectively. That's the key. Didn't happen last year much.

Has nothing to do with running backs pay being diminished.
not saying it does, i'm just saying their pay has diminished as if they're not "respected"

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
It’s not easy to build an NFL roster that competes for a championship. We Cowboys fans know that all too well. But it’s also doubly hard when you don’t have a clear roster building strategy.

What do I mean by “Strategic roster building”? It’s building your roster around these main ideas:
  1. What kind of roster are we tying to build? Is it to be built around speed and finesse? A big physical front 7 on D and a powerful OL than can allow us to run the ball consistently well? A short, quick passing game? Honestly, based on the last several years of offensive and defensive coordinators, I’m not sure it’s clear what kind of roster this FO is trying to build. And if your FO isn’t clear on this, there is no clear strategy.
  2. What are this team‘s personnel needs based on what we want to be? If I were in charge, I would focus on doing a “competitive rebuild”, meaning retooling the roster with our current strengths, shoring up our biggest weaknesses, and making roster decisions based on the idea that this team cannot compete without two strategic upgrades:
    • Building an outstanding running game
    • Building a bigger, physical front 7 on defense
  3. Side Note: I know at least half this board wants a new QB. That would be ok with me if we were willing to :
    • Accept a slower rebuild by either drafting a QB that despite the low odds we get lucky and he’s a home run, or hoping we could be be better with Trey Lance (a very, very long shot) This FO will accept neither.
    • When I look at changing QBs, unless there is a better option available (and right now there isn’t) we must find a way to build around Dak’s strengths and more importantly, shore up his weaknesses through a better running game and defense. I know that’s not popular here for many, but it’s the faster way to get competitive and it’s more realistic considering this owner and son.
  4. With those strategies in mind driving everything, draft and sign FAs accordingly.
Again, I know many will want a new QB. I get it. I would be in favor of that IF this organization were willing to do a slow rebuild and would be willing to roll the dice on developing a young QB. THEY AREN’T.

So we are left with the “competitive rebuild” idea.
Devlop a great running game and a bigger, more physical defense. Based on wanting a faster rebuild within the bounds of being realistic, it’s the way to go. Now whether this FO is capable of being strategic in their building instead of putting together a marketing strategy remains to be seen.
With this Front Office promoting such a soft culture, I don't see how we can build a team that can have playoff success.
The NFL is just way too competative to have such an obvious flaw.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I'm honestly not sure what to think about how we build a good team. I thought the reason Jerry has been tepid in free agency in recent years was due to 2 things: 1) Stephen Jones and 2) Jerry doesn't believe in Dak enough to override Stephen. So given the obvious holes in our run defense and passing attack in the playoffs...I've always just seen us as doomed. If we had a Zeke-type back...we have a shot. But relying on the QB and that run defense - without doing anything in free agency year after year to address it - always FELT like a silent protest from Jerry.

And now...hearing Jerry temper the "all in" comments by stating we won't be that much more aggressive...this makes me feel like we really are just watching an entertainment cash cow.

In 1997, we went 5-11 with a healthy Troy Aikman. And they asked Jimmy what went wrong and he basically said we screwed up a few draft by going for backups. He said, "in football you have to continue to improve, if you're not getting better, you're falling behind...". Well, resigning Micah, CeeDee and Dak doesn't make us "better"...it makes us the SAME with older guys now who are fat with money. That is NOT "all in".

Bottom line: There is no scenario where I see us turning over every stone to win a chip like SF, KC, Buffalo, Detroit, Philadelphia, Minnesota, etc...teams that seem desperate and willing to take big-time gambles and risks to win big. There's no way you go into a season with a gimpy Pollard and unproven Dowdle, draft Deuce Vaughn in the 5th round and then expect your temperamental QB to pull it out on his own. This was a slow-moving accident if I've ever seen one. And it looks like we're all geared up for another one next year.
Entertainment cash cow is a fair description of your current Dallas Cowboys.
Until we have a change of direction at the top, we are not having playoff success.

Chasing6

Reaction score
How do you think the meeting of the minds works out when you have Owner Jerry, GM Jeruh and CEO little Jerry(stephen) get together?

I am sure they have some intense meetings and I think Jethro has at least 2 votes.

75boyz

Reaction score
With all due respect of course Bob, without a new HC and QB I can't offer much to the OP.

Its ultimately just another weak run it back Jerry scenario in which the final outcome is already known because the 2 most important influences to team failure have not changed. And we've seen both of their incompetent playoff performance(s).

Sorry, jmo.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How do you think the meeting of the minds works out when you have Owner Jerry, GM Jeruh and CEO little Jerry(stephen) get together?

I am sure they have some intense meetings and I think Jethro has at least 2 votes.
Answer: They start with marketing strategies and a financial spreadsheet.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Well said. I’ve never seen an organization more impressed with themselves even when they don’t win a playoff game. Re-signing a bunch of guys who have never accomplished anything is their “all in”.

ICP

Reaction score
Sorry, it all sounds good but if you want 'Strategic' anything you may be better off rooting for another team, it's not in Dumb and Dumbers vocabulary

mardwin

Reaction score

The problem here is paying Dak like he's that guy when in reality he's about as good as Baker Mayfield.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem here is paying Dak like he's that guy when in reality he's about as good as Baker Mayfield.
Did you see what TB is paying Mayfield after signing his big contract this week? Mayfield signed a 3 yr, $100 million contract worth up to $115 million in incentives and $50 million guaranteed.

NFL Network Insider Tom Pelissero added that $30 million of Mayfield's deal is fully guaranteed in Year 1, with another $10 million guaranteed in 2025 and the last $10 million for injury vesting next year.

Its crazy but that’s what the NFL QB market is dictating just for starting QBs.

blueblood70

Reaction score
How many times have they used a second round pick on a TE, or taken a TE in later rounds when much better talent that matched needs was available? Escobar, others. Not just recently, since 2005 or so.

Who is Whitten? lol
so that's what you're doing you're going back 15 years or almost 20 dude give it a rest take a step back can you stop living in the past I mean that is so long ago it's ridiculous to even bring it up right now we've had success with Dalton Schultz and Ferguson back-to-back it's Schoonmaker's going to be a good backup that's all that matters it's what's been happening recently that's given us 36 wins two division titles three straight playoff first this is some of the most consistent winning we've had since the mid 90s and you're gonna bring up something that's almost 20 years old are you serious that is just ridiculous that's why fan bases are nothing but hyperbole egomaniacal exaggeration machines... You are not professionals but when you gotta make your debate try to win a debate by bringing something up that happened that long ago and saying that they took Flyers on a tight end no the entire NFL does that they they pick players that don't workout sometimes it's even in the top 10 or big time first round picks they become reaches and busts it happens they believe Escobar was going to be a solid player and he was not and that means nothing today absolutely nothing...:facepalm::angry::thumbdown::espn::popcorn:

csirl

Reaction score
There's more than one way of winning when you have a good QB - you can pick your style of play.

There's no way of winning without a good QB.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Last year is fairly recent.

75boyz

Reaction score

Dang bro,
This is about as accurate as it gets.
Great job.

Chasing6

Reaction score

If we are going to rebuild which we should, if we are not going all in. Any other option is point less.

Trade CD for 2 firsts, in a deep WR Draft. Rebuild the the trenches. Save $30M a year.

With 2 # 1's next year trade up and get your QB of the future.

Otherwise in 2 to 3 years we will be wondering how Washington won the division.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It’s not easy to build an NFL roster that competes for a championship. We Cowboys fans know that all too well. But it’s also doubly hard when you don’t have a clear roster building strategy.

What do I mean by “Strategic roster building”? It’s building your roster around these main ideas:
  1. What kind of roster are we tying to build? Is it to be built around speed and finesse? A big physical front 7 on D and a powerful OL than can allow us to run the ball consistently well? A short, quick passing game? Honestly, based on the last several years of offensive and defensive coordinators, I’m not sure it’s clear what kind of roster this FO is trying to build. And if your FO isn’t clear on this, there is no clear strategy.
  2. What are this team‘s personnel needs based on what we want to be? If I were in charge, I would focus on doing a “competitive rebuild”, meaning retooling the roster with our current strengths, shoring up our biggest weaknesses, and making roster decisions based on the idea that this team cannot compete without two strategic upgrades:
    • Building an outstanding running game
    • Building a bigger, physical front 7 on defense
  3. Side Note: I know at least half this board wants a new QB. That would be ok with me if we were willing to :
    • Accept a slower rebuild by either drafting a QB that despite the low odds we get lucky and he’s a home run, or hoping we could be be better with Trey Lance (a very, very long shot) This FO will accept neither.
    • When I look at changing QBs, unless there is a better option available (and right now there isn’t) we must find a way to build around Dak’s strengths and more importantly, shore up his weaknesses through a better running game and defense. I know that’s not popular here for many, but it’s the faster way to get competitive and it’s more realistic considering this owner and son.
  4. With those strategies in mind driving everything, draft and sign FAs accordingly.
Again, I know many will want a new QB. I get it. I would be in favor of that IF this organization were willing to do a slow rebuild and would be willing to roll the dice on developing a young QB. THEY AREN’T.

So we are left with the “competitive rebuild” idea.
Devlop a great running game and a bigger, more physical defense. Based on wanting a faster rebuild within the bounds of being realistic, it’s the way to go. Now whether this FO is capable of being strategic in their building instead of putting together a marketing strategy remains to be seen.
(Allen Iveson:) Strategic roster building. STRATEGIC ROSTER BUILDING...did you say Strategic roster building? did you seriously just say Strategic Roster building.

that just doesn't happen in dallas. don't ever mention it. never. ever.

well, except if its strategic to Jersey sales.

75boyz

Reaction score
If we are going to rebuild which we should, if we are not going all in. Any other option is point less.

Trade CD for 2 firsts, in a deep WR Draft. Rebuild the the trenches. Save $30M a year.

With 2 # 1's next year trade up and get your QB of the future.

Otherwise in 2 to 3 years we will be wondering how Washington won the division.
Outside the box, aggressive and my definition of all in as well.
Sign me up.

Nice job man.