Stuff I learned today

paladin

Reaction score
It's speculated that the Lincoln Memorial is actually two depictions of Lincoln.
One side is at war...one is depicted in peace
On Lincoln right side, his eyebrow is sharply cocked...alert
His fist is clenched
His leg is bent...ready to spring up
On Lincolns left side, his face is calm
His hand is open
His leg is relaxed
&
Robert E Lees profile might carved into the back of his head...but probably not
Been there 3 times....never noticed

paladin

Reaction score
Gene Hackman was under consideration for the role of Mike Brady on the Brady Bunch
His previous big role was as Clyde Barrow's brother in Bonnie & Clyde
(he was nominated for an Academy for that performance)
But I suppose the difference between the two roles was too much for the casting director

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Yesterday I watched on Hulu the History Channel biography on Vice Industry Tycoons and learned…
  • Budweiser was the first lager, the first to pasteurize beer, the first refrigerated rail cars and the first beer bottles. (Which was done because saloons out west were watering down their product and they wanted a tamper-free system)
  • Jack Daniels was the first liquor in a square bottle and has had the same logo on bottle for over 100 years.
  • Shiek condoms, the #1 company for 100 years until Trojan took over, were started by a disabled German immigrant who would take the extra intestine skin at his sausage industry job and sew them into condoms in his spare time which he illegally sold on the streets of NYC.
  • Cigarettes were never big until the industrial era with most people working in factories and didn’t have time to smoke out of a pipe on their five minute breaks.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I learned that the VA facilities and Doctors are pretty darn good vs the horror stories you hear about in some areas.
They’ve certainly gotten better. There still are a few here and there that aren’t up to standards due to lack of resources, ie qualified employees. More help needed for these outliers.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This morning I learned paying Waste Management to pick up my garbage every Tuesday morning, does not mean the garage truck operator cannot operate his claw thingy well enough, to SIT my garage container back upright on a flat surface. :mad:

paladin

Reaction score
WHY EDDIE HASKELL IS...THE WAY HE IS
(FROM LEAVE IT TO BEAVER)

EDDIE: When I was a little kid in kindergarten, we had a woman taking care of me.
And she sent me to school with a home permanent.

WALLY: Boy, Eddie. What happened?

EDDIE: Well, I told my father about it, and he made a great big joke.
You know something?...I don't think I've ever really told him anything since then.

WALLY: Gee Eddie, then how come you're always jumping on other guys, making fun of them?

EDDIE: Look Sam, if you can make the other guy feel like a goon first, then you don't feel like so much of a goon.

WALLY: Ah, I don't get that.

EDDIE: Of course you don't.
That's 'cause you never went to kindergarten... with a home permanent.

Hardline

Reaction score
Gene Hackman was under consideration for the role of Mike Brady on the Brady Bunch
His previous big role was as Clyde Barrow's brother in Bonnie & Clyde
(he was nominated for an Academy for that performance)
But I suppose the difference between the two roles was too much for the casting director
Raquel Welch was considered to play the part of Mary Ann on Gilligan's Island.