Stuff I learned today

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
That Florida doesn’t have a single city in top USA 175 violent crimes cities. Saw it on the DeSantis launch today that Florida didn’t have any cities in the top 50, it made me curious so I fact checked and found it even better.. I didn’t see any all way to 175. I would have guessed at least Miami or Jacksonville would show up.

triplets_93

Reaction score
Air Conditioning Repair DIY that will save you Hundreds of Dollars - Capacitor Replacement

"If your AC Unit isn't working, in this video I will show you how I go about diagnosing and replacing an AC dual run capacitor. This is probably by far the most common issue with AC units and also where SOME AC companies will take advantage of home owners. These repairs can range anywhere from $100-$500 depending on the company, but I fixed mine for $11.72."

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I was traveling behind a 2023 Ford Bronco FJB Edition earlier today. I learned that the FJB Edition is not, in fact, an actual Ford Bronco model

:lmao:

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I learned that Deborah Harry from Blondie originally turned down the role of the female replicant from "Blade Runner". Her record company didn't want her taking the role and she was also caring for a band mate/boy friend that had collapsed on stage while on tour. She says that was the biggest mistake of her life. They eventually cast Daryl Hannah and the rest as they say is history.

I think she would have been great in that role, Hannah was great in the role, just an interesting "what if".

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Air Conditioning Repair DIY that will save you Hundreds of Dollars - Capacitor Replacement

"If your AC Unit isn't working, in this video I will show you how I go about diagnosing and replacing an AC dual run capacitor. This is probably by far the most common issue with AC units and also where SOME AC companies will take advantage of home owners. These repairs can range anywhere from $100-$500 depending on the company, but I fixed mine for $11.72."

Around 10 years ago my AC stopped working on a very hot day. The repair guy from the HVAC company I called came by right around lunch and told me it was a capacitor.

He said he could run back to the shop to get one and install it and the cost would be around $180 or if I could wait until after 5pm, he would come by after work on his way home and install it for $30.

A few hours later my AC was working again and I saved $150 :D

Creeper

Reaction score

AC repairmen have to eat too!

But seriously, capacitors commonly fail. The bulging top test makes it easy to diagnose them. Lots of people toss perfectly good LED monitors and TVs out thinking they are shot but in reality it is a cheap capacitor that has failed. They are easy to replace, even on circuit boards, if you have a decent soldering iron.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I thought it was FootJoy...So I
I was traveling behind a 2023 Ford Bronco FJB Edition earlier today. I learned that the FJB Edition is not, in fact, an actual Ford Bronco model

:lmao:
I thought it was FootJoy...So you're saying I can't buy golf gloves at one of those cars?

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
AC repairmen have to eat too!

But seriously, capacitors commonly fail. The bulging top test makes it easy to diagnose them. Lots of people toss perfectly good LED monitors and TVs out thinking they are shot but in reality it is a cheap capacitor that has failed. They are easy to replace, even on circuit boards, if you have a decent soldering iron.
In the early 80's I bought 70's vintage Peavey guitar amp. 100 watt, 4x10 cabinet. Thing sounded good to me. Plenty loud. Couldn't max it out without making everyone in the block mad. Early 2000's something went haywire so I brought it in to be fixed. In addition to fixing the problem the tech suggested a full recap.

Holy crap! With the gain at 8 I couldn't get the master above 2 without knocking the knickknacks off the shelf. Unbelievable, the difference.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
I learned Saturday morning that losing a Pet is tough as all get out. I have had pets in the past but they all died on their own when I was not there and we usually did not have them long. We purchased a Bichon Frise in May 2005 for my grandson who was four at the time. The dog lived with us the past 18 years and was pretty much my dog. No matter where I was in the house, he was right at my feet. He slept to my side of the bed. The last few years he has gotten older, lost most of his hearing and all of his sight but he still knew his way around the house. We always said we would put him down when he could not eat on his own or drink on his own. Well, the last few months he could not do either so we would hand feed him his food, (typically chic fil A nuggets or the new KFC nuggets-he loved them) and we would also hold him at the sink to drink his water. We thought it was the least we could do for all the love he gave us. He has been going down and knew the time was getting near but hoped he would die on his own without us having to do it. Friday evening he had a seizure about 5:30. This one lasted at least 3 minutes which was longer than any other seizure he has ever had. He came out of it a couple of hours later but was still lethargic and weak. I gave him water at midnight and I brought him to bed and hoped he would be better in the morning. At 3:00 that morning he had another one. My wife and I decided he had suffered enough, picked him up in his blanket and brought him to the Doggie ER. They put him down at 3:45 Saturday morning. My grandson was here for the weekend and it was incredibly sad. My wife can't stop crying. I never knew you could love a pet like that. RIP Snoopy Jelly Bean-18 years 3 months.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I learned Saturday morning that losing a Pet is tough as all get out. I have had pets in the past but they all died on their own when I was not there and we usually did not have them long. We purchased a Bichon Frise in May 2005 for my grandson who was four at the time. The dog lived with us the past 18 years and was pretty much my dog. No matter where I was in the house, he was right at my feet. He slept to my side of the bed. The last few years he has gotten older, lost most of his hearing and all of his sight but he still knew his way around the house. We always said we would put him down when he could not eat on his own or drink on his own. Well, the last few months he could not do either so we would hand feed him his food, (typically chic fil A nuggets or the new KFC nuggets-he loved them) and we would also hold him at the sink to drink his water. We thought it was the least we could do for all the love he gave us. He has been going down and knew the time was getting near but hoped he would die on his own without us having to do it. Friday evening he had a seizure about 5:30. This one lasted at least 3 minutes which was longer than any other seizure he has ever had. He came out of it a couple of hours later but was still lethargic and weak. I gave him water at midnight and I brought him to bed and hoped he would be better in the morning. At 3:00 that morning he had another one. My wife and I decided he had suffered enough, picked him up in his blanket and brought him to the Doggie ER. They put him down at 3:45 Saturday morning. My grandson was here for the weekend and it was incredibly sad. My wife can't stop crying. I never knew you could love a pet like that. RIP Snoopy Jelly Bean-18 years 3 months.
Man, that's really tough; so sorry to hear about this.

They're not really pets, they're family members and they leave a huge whole when they're gone.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m very sorry for your loss. I had a similar experience years ago and it stays with me. I don’t consider them as merely pets, but as members of the family.