Twitter: Sturm doesn't want us to forget Cowboys missed playoffs because of these things from 2019

HungryLion

Reaction score
I feel like the cowboys defense has been so poor for so long that fans now think giving up points in the high 20’s while also forcing ZERO turnovers, is a solid defensive performance that nfl teams expect to win.

When the reality is far different.

Sturms tweet also doesn’t mention special teams. Which were horrible in every game last season.

cern

Reaction score
It sometimes feels like he reaches a conclusion in his head and works backwards.
that's the way thought processes work. the higgs boson was theorized 60 years before it was proven. relativity, special and general were theorized before they could be proven. opinions on the other hand don't need to be proven. they're just opinions.

Last edited:

kumizi

Reaction score
And we dont want our best corner back.

It’s mind blowing to me the same fans that hyped upSanjay Lal and Kris Richard are now hyping up Nolan and his defense. There is literally no evidence he’s good. Stupidity is contagious.

cern

Reaction score

It’s mind blowing to me the same fans that hyped upSanjay Lal and Kris Richard are now hyping up Nolan and his defense. There is literally no evidence he’s good. Stupidity is contagious.
I thought lal did a good job with the receivers. Richard, not so much.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I like Strum's work overall, but it's a big fail here that he did not include the rushing yards that two of those three quarterbacks had against us. It kept drives alive and gave them scoring chances again and again and again.

That's the way I remember a lot of games. Got eaten alive by running QBs. Though given the prevalence of the pattern, I think it must have been more of a scheme issue than a player issue. Marinelli was exploited. When you make the dline all about getting upfield, you're sacrificing gap integrity, opening the door for QBs to take off downfield.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

I wonder what the problem was with Sanjay. Gallup developed. WRs got open. Why weren't we interested in bringing him back? Especially after all the hype? Adam Henry does not seem like a big thrill. Journeyman coach.

The mystery with Richard isn't not keeping him now, but how he had the defense playing pretty well for a stretch in 2018. I think that was largely LVE, but the defense as a whole was delivering. Only 2 regular season games over 24 points, and one of those was the season finale over the Giants, where prime defensive starters were resting for the playoffs.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's the way I remember a lot of games. Got eaten alive by running QBs. Though given the prevalence of the pattern, I think it must have been more of a scheme issue than a player issue. Marinelli was exploited. When you make the dline all about getting upfield, you're sacrificing gap integrity, opening the door for QBs to take off downfield.

That's another good point. I hope that was solely the case and something that's gone with Marinelli.

ghst187

Reaction score
coaching staff fail from top; to bottom is the reason for the dallas cowboys missing the playoffs last season with the talent they had they should of won at least 11 or 12 games the clown coaching staff was abysmal that's the reason theyare all gone mostly

this 100,000%

12+88=7

Reaction score
I feel like the cowboys defense has been so poor for so long that fans now think giving up points in the high 20’s while also forcing ZERO turnovers, is a solid defensive performance that nfl teams expect to win.

Sturms tweet also doesn’t mention special teams. Which were horrible in every game last season.

Here are some facts on points allowed.

During Romo's career the best defense the team had was 2009 at 15.6 points allowed which was 2nd in the NFL. In no other year was the team better than 14th.

During Prescott's four years the defense has never been worse than 13th in 2017 at 20.8. But still better than Romo had, outside of 2009.

2016 was the best at 19.1 finishing 5th.
2018 was 6th at 20.3.
2019 was 11th at 20.1.

This whole mantra about the Dallas defense being so terrible for so long is an outright lie.

When compared to other NFL teams Dallas in the last four years has been near the top and at worst the first third of the league in points allowed.

And it's ok for the defense to give up over 20 points a game as long as the offense is responding, see the Minnesota and Detroit games. It just looks terrible when they give up 26 to Buffalo and the offense goes 51 minutes between scores. Or in the NY game, NY scores 21 points by halftime, but doesn't score again till the 57th minute.

In the losses it was the offense that didn't support the defense.

HungryLion

Reaction score

During Romo's career the best defense the team had was 2009 at 15.6 points allowed which was 2nd in the NFL. In no other year was the team better than 14th.

During Prescott's four years the defense has never been worse than 13th in 2017 at 20.8. But still better than Romo had, outside of 2009.

2018 was 6th at 20.3.
2019 was 11th at 20.1.

This whole mantra about the Dallas defense being so terrible for so long is an outright lie.

When compared to other NFL teams Dallas in the last four years has been near the top and at worst the first third of the league in points allowed.

And it's ok for the defense to give up over 20 points a game as long as the offense is responding, see the Minnesota and Detroit games. It just looks terrible when they give up 26 to Buffalo and the offense goes 51 minutes between scores. Or in the NY game, NY scores 21 points by halftime, but doesn't score again till the 57th minute.

It’s not just about points allowed.

It’s about turnovers. The cowboys defense doesn’t get them. They were awful at forcing turnovers last season. Awful. But I noticed that you ignored the turnover aspect of my previous post.

Offenses need short fields occasionally. The cowboys had horrendous starting field position. That equates to less points scored.

The overall point of the OP is that the defense got their butts whipped by some awful offenses. That is a fact. An indisputable one.

The offense had some bad games too. No argument there. But let’s be clear. The defense shares a lot of blame in the bears, Vikings, and bills losses.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

It’s about turnovers. The cowboys defense doesn’t get them. They were awful at forcing turnovers last season. Awful. But I noticed that you ignored the turnover aspect of my previous post.

Offenses need short fields occasionally. The cowboys had horrendous starting field position. That equates to less points scored.

Also, a lot of the "great defenses", are based on yards opposite a ball control offense which limited opposing offense drives and time of possession.

HungryLion

Reaction score

2018 was 6th at 20.3.
2019 was 11th at 20.1.

I would like to add. That I agree with you that the defense has been trending upwards from what the cowboys had since Wade Phillips was HC. I agree on that point. However, the defense still hasn’t reached championship caliber play. the defense is also the primary reason for the last two playoff exits the cowboys have had. They just have not been good enough to win a Super Bowl or get close to one, in quite some.
Time.

fivetwos

Reaction score
coaching staff fail from top; to bottom is the reason for the dallas cowboys missing the playoffs last season with the talent they had they should of won at least 11 or 12 games the clown coaching staff was abysmal that's the reason theyare all gone mostly
The refusal to adjust, seemingly at ALL was both mind boggling and frustrating.

12+88=7

Reaction score

The overall point of the OP is that the defense got their butts whipped by some awful offenses. That is a fact. An indisputable one.

The offense had some bad games too. No argument there. But let’s be clear. The defense shares a lot of blame in the bears, Vikings, and bills losses.

The Green Bay, Chicago, and Detroit were the worst games played by the Dallas defense. The defense gave up 28 to Minnesota, but that was a good game by both teams and no ones fault for the loss.

If you break down the 8 losses the defense was responsible for 2(GB and Chi) but the offense was responsible for 5(NO, NY, NE, BUF, and Phi).

You say the defense shares blame in the Buffalo game, but the defense gave up 13 points in both halves. If the Dallas defense didn't step up and make Buffalo kick 4 FGs then it would have been a blowout. The offense scored on the opening drive and then dissapeared for 51 minutes of a 60 minute game. Had the offense done anything in those 51 minutes it would have been a competitive game, like Minnesota was.

I have explained the loss to NY in an earlier post. These offense's were considered weak, but if the Dallas offense shows up, they would have been wins, Dallas wins the division and makes the playoffs and at least 100 threads would not have been started.

The lost season that was 2019 falls squarely on the most inconsistent offense in the NFL.

HungryLion

Reaction score
The Green Bay, Chicago, and Detroit were the worst games played by the Dallas defense. The defense gave up 28 to Minnesota, but that was a good game by both teams and no ones fault for the loss.

If you break down the 8 losses the defense was responsible for 2(GB and Chi) but the offense was responsible for 5(NO, NY, NE, BUF, and Phi).

You say the defense shares blame in the Buffalo game, but the defense gave up 13 points in both halves. If the Dallas defense didn't step up and make Buffalo kick 4 FGs then it would have been a blowout. The offense scored on the opening drive and then dissapeared for 51 minutes of a 60 minute game. Had the offense done anything in those 51 minutes it would have been a competitive game, like Minnesota was.

I have explained the loss to NY in an earlier post. These offense's were considered weak, but if the Dallas offense shows up, they would have been wins, Dallas wins the division and makes the playoffs and at least 100 threads would not have been started.

The lost season that was 2019 falls squarely on the most inconsistent offense in the NFL.

Yeah I disagree.

You’re ignoring the fact that the team had the worst special teams in the league and you’re giving the defense a pass for the fact that they can’t ever force turnovers with any type of consistency whatsoever.

The offense shares some of the blame. But saying the lost season falls squarely on the offense is just irrational. It’s just completely off base when you have a defense that doesn’t force turnovers and you have the worst special teams in the league by just about every metric.

It boggles my mind that people want to point to the offenses inconsistency when they were constantly being asked to drive the length of the field and dealing with a horrific kicker that was missing field goals left and right.

And the Minnesota game. 28 points allowed and Zero turnovers at home? That’s not a good
Defensive performance.

12+88=7

Reaction score
I would like to add. That I agree with you that the defense has been trending upwards from what the cowboys had since Wade Phillips was HC. I agree on that point. However, the defense still hasn’t reached championship caliber play. the defense is also the primary reason for the last two playoff exits the cowboys have had. They just have not been good enough to win a Super Bowl or get close to one, in quite some.
Time.

I think that's the disconnect with the defense is that a championship level defense was expected, but a good defense showed up instead. That skewed people's opinion about just how good or bad they were.

12+88=7

Reaction score
Yeah I disagree.

You’re ignoring the fact that the team had the worst special teams in the league and you’re giving the defense a pass for the fact that they can’t ever force turnovers with any type of consistency whatsoever.

The offense shares some of the blame. But saying the lost season falls squarely on the offense is just irrational. It’s just completely off base when you have a defense that doesn’t force turnovers and you have the worst special teams in the league by just about every metric.

It boggles my mind that people want to point to the offenses inconsistency when they were constantly being asked to drive the length of the field and dealing with a horrific kicker that was missing field goals left and right.

And the Minnesota game. 28 points allowed and Zero turnovers at home? That’s not a good
Defensive performance.

In the Minnesota game Dallas took the lead and had a chance to win at the end. Minnesota showed they were a good team knocking NO out of the playoffs on the road. That was just a good game won by Minnesota. Like I said earlier, no one was to blame for that loss.

Answer one question, if the Dallas offense shows up against NO, NY, NE, or Philadelphia would Dallas have won the division and made playoffs?

shabazz

Reaction score

He also failed to mention the 3 winnable games in which this "poor" defense gave up 12, 13 and 17 points against the Saints, Patriots and Eagles. Lets keep things 100.