Sturm likes the Quinn hire

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think DQ was the best hire available.

no coach is 100 percent, but with his background and history, it’s the best chance we are going to get.

not expecting miracles.

but if he can get us to an average defense in 2021, I will take it.

we just need average for now.

I totally agree. It appears to me that Dan Quinn was the best DC candidate available out of the eight that were deemed the possible options.

I'm expecting this transition to take in the neighborhood of anywhere from around two to three years for a desirable success to be achieved.

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sturm also liked the Mike McCarthy hire.

Sturm has gone from an analyst to an old fart that only talks about resumes. This time a year ago Sturm was saying Anthony Davis (NBA) wasn't very good because of his resume. Now that he won a title with Lebron he's a top 5 player.
In advance it appeared McCarthy was a solid hire. And given a chance to have OTAs, a full training camp, and a preseason, he may yet prove to be a solid hire.

And, resumes do mean something. Would you rather hire a coach with a championship, or with a career losing record? That's not to say the losing coach might not be better given the circumstances, but in most cases a guy who has proven success is preferable to a guy that has tried and failed.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Right now willing to sit back and give Quinn the chance. Claiming he will be greatly successful or a failure tends to be more emotionally driven by people here. I don't buy into all the legion of boom non sense nor am I expecting the 2nd coming of the Legion of Boom. What I do expect is for him and his staff to put a decent defense out there who can help this team win ball games.

khiladi

Reaction score
Dan Quinn’s image is completely built off the LOB and there is zero evidence to indicate he had any input in building it (he was actually at Florida in 2011 and 2012) of in deciding the scheme. When Richard Sherman is racking up 8 INTs a year and Earl Thomas gets 5 every now and then, that’s all world talent. Sherman had 8 in 2012 when Dan Quinn was in Florida.

Kris Richard didn’t more time with the defense than DQ, who was the DL line coach in 2009 and 2010 before he left to Florida. Gus Bradley was the DC when PC came and the LOB was being built and it was number 1 ranked by the time he left for DQ tO take over. The year DQ left, Kris Richard was the DC and they were the number 1 ranked defense in the league. Pete Carroll has absolute control over personnel.

Dan Quinn drafted a whole bunch of CBs, a couple of safeties and a hell of a lot of LBs in his five years as HC of Atlanta only to end up with essentially the WORST secondary in the league.

This idea there was ‘no better hire’ is ridiculously absurd. It’s essentially going with a name and not taking a risk with a new name.

Last edited: