Twitter: Sturm's Jabril Cox Highlight Reel Vs. Texans

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I've knocked the competition he's faced, but he really popped off the screen against the Texans. He looks bigger, but still moves like a man 25lbs lighter. He's not as fast as Parsons in a straight line, but he lateral agility and COD skills look even better than Parsons. The difference between this linebacker group and last seaosn is night and day. These look like modern backers.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Yeah I get Cox’s limitations but all of the linebackers had one. These guys may have fixed this defense in 2 offseasons…..I thought it would take far longer.
Let’s hope it’s true and they did. I’m excited to see the linebacker core in real action. You know parsons is chomping at the bit.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I'm just going to say it, Jabril Cox is a player, not a practicer.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
Good because we needed linebackers. LVE is often injured and Jaylon is a wait and see but he seem to still struggle when making sharp cuts (quick change of directions).

Kingofholland

Reaction score
He was a great value in the draft. He'll atleast be a solid depth piece this season.

quickccc

Reaction score
I think they are compatible.

Cox is basically like Deion Jones, a LB/SS tweener who covers and plays pursuit. He's your Will backer. Parsons would then be the Mike, but truthfully, he is whoever you want him to be. He's looking like a guy who could do absolutely anything asked of an LB. Cover in man, cover in zone, edge rush, shoot the A gap, stack and shed, flow to the sideline... he seriously may be a dude that has no limits.

^Bull rushing the center like a DT. No limits.

I never thought of Deion Jones as a " tweener ". just a smallish LB.
Just as i considered smallish LBs such as Darrin Smith, Dexter Coakley as pure LBs.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
No way Cox would be a 4th round pick in a redraft today. Easily a 2nd rounder. Same with O-Dig and Wright and Mukuamu and Fehoko and Bohanna. They all go higher today if one did a redraft.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It may have been against 2nd and 3rd stringers but this is what you want to see from your rookies. They could easily go out there and be in over their heads. Cox is looking like a damn good fine. The linebacker core went form depressing to having huge upside all in one offseason.
Love cox but those are all very basic linebacker plays. Granted we rarely see it around here with the hapless jaylon.

CowboysBravesSpurs

Reaction score
I'm glad he's here, he's looks like he's going to be a good pick up. Because 9 and LVE are here he will have the time to work on his strength this season, while getting ready to take a huge step forward next year when 9 is released.
NFL teams need 3 good LB's at minimum. Parsons, Cox and LVE will be a great unit.

LVE is a very good LB. Yes, he's had injuries and that is always concerning, but I do not get the apparent hate he gets on this site. I highly doubt they let him go next year. They never cut Sean Lee. Why? Because he was that good at his job when he was playing. That's LVE at his floor. At his ceiling, he's a bigger version of Lee when fully healthy. You aren't letting that walk out the door very easily.
Lee was better in his prime imo. He was a game changer. Have yet to see LVE break that next level.

Last edited:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Unfortunately it may be LVE that he pushes off the roster, barring an all-pro season from Wolfie. His contract is up and they are up against the salary cap going forward. Smith may get the axe too but that won't be because of Cox, but rather his own ability to not live up to his contract.

There's a pretty good chance both of those guys are gone after this season. Crazy to think they were looking like one of the best linebacker duos in the league a few seasons ago.

That said, Parsons, Cox, and Neal moving forward doesn't sound half bad. I'm pretty stoked about the LB position. If the DTs have a pulse this front 7 very well could be a significant strength this year.

Neal's contract is up next year as well. He's on a one-year deal. You know he's looking to cash in on a longer-term deal.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Too me Cox is a bit lesser version of Parsons. Both guys have good size and speed. They look more like strong safeties than LB but play have the physical abilities of LB.

I thought that Cox was overrated. But watching him play in a few games i'm already a fan.. He may not be as fast as Parsons. But he is quick to recognize the play and react to it. He doesn't think and his playmaking instincts kick in. He is the total opposite of Jaylon. Where it takes #9 a second or two to diagnose the play and then go after it.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Neal's contract is up next year as well. He's on a one-year deal. You know he's looking to cash in on a longer-term deal.
I'm aware. The way I see it, one of Smith, LVE, and Neal will most likely be back next year. You
I'm guessing at least one of the 3 linebackers will be back, the others will be cap casualties. Bring back the best of the group. Reports and film seem to dictate that is Neal. Interested to see how the season plays out.

jnday

Reaction score

Kid's a baller. Yes, I know it was against 2nd and 3rd stringers but he can only play who's lined up on the other side.

After all of the unfair criticism aimed at Sturm when he criticized the offense a few day’s ago, I guess all is forgiven and he is just peachy now.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I'm aware. The way I see it, one of Smith, LVE, and Neal will most likely be back next year. You

I'm guessing at least one of the 3 linebackers will be back, the others will be cap casualties. Bring back the best of the group. Reports and film seem to dictate that is Neal. Interested to see how the season plays out.

The problem with Neal is that he's really just a nickel linebacker because of his size. It would be tough for him to hold up in the 3-4/4-3 sets. Of course, some small linebackers have had success in three- or four-LB schemes so maybe he'll prove that wrong.