Twitter: Sturm's Jabril Cox Highlight Reel Vs. Texans

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Would Parsons and Cox be a good combo or do they basically play the same roles?

I think they are compatible.

Cox is basically like Deion Jones, a LB/SS tweener who covers and plays pursuit. He's your Will backer. Parsons would then be the Mike, but truthfully, he is whoever you want him to be. He's looking like a guy who could do absolutely anything asked of an LB. Cover in man, cover in zone, edge rush, shoot the A gap, stack and shed, flow to the sideline... he seriously may be a dude that has no limits.

^Bull rushing the center like a DT. No limits.

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
I think they are compatible.

Cox is basically like Deion Jones, a LB/SS tweener who covers and plays pursuit. He's your Will backer. Parsons would then be the Mike, but truthfully, he is whoever you want him to be. He's looking like a guy who could do absolutely anything asked of an LB. Cover in man, cover in zone, edge rush, shoot the A gap, stack and shed, flow to the sideline... he seriously may be a dude that has no limits.

^Bull rushing the center like a DT. No limits.

Man I want to see this guy in a regular season game just ruining a team's offensive gameplan w

HanD

Reaction score
Unfortunately it may be LVE that he pushes off the roster, barring an all-pro season from Wolfie. His contract is up and they are up against the salary cap going forward. Smith may get the axe too but that won't be because of Cox, but rather his own ability to not live up to his contract.

There's a pretty good chance both of those guys are gone after this season. Crazy to think they were looking like one of the best linebacker duos in the league a few seasons ago.

That said, Parsons, Cox, and Neal moving forward doesn't sound half bad. I'm pretty stoked about the LB position. If the DTs have a pulse this front 7 very well could be a significant strength this year.

I like that group moving forward but I'm wondering how much Neal will cost after this season.

J-man

Reaction score
I'm glad he's here, he's looks like he's going to be a good pick up. Because 9 and LVE are here he will have the time to work on his strength this season, while getting ready to take a huge step forward next year when 9 is released.
NFL teams need 3 good LB's at minimum. Parsons, Cox and LVE will be a great unit.

LVE is a very good LB. Yes, he's had injuries and that is always concerning, but I do not get the apparent hate he gets on this site. I highly doubt they let him go next year. They never cut Sean Lee. Why? Because he was that good at his job when he was playing. That's LVE at his floor. At his ceiling, he's a bigger version of Lee when fully healthy. You aren't letting that walk out the door very easily.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Admittedly I am no football expert but from my eyes what I see from Cox that is missing from Jaylon Smith is instinct and commitment. When you watch Smith there is a hesitation in his game and a lack of instinct in diagnosing a play whereas Cox seems to have those qualities.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Given Dallas' lack of a quality d-line I am a bit surprised they do not go more with a 3-4 defense wherein you have the 4 LB's be Parsons, LVE, Cox, and Neal as that would seem to be the best approach as of right now.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Admittedly I am no football expert but from my eyes what I see from Cox that is missing from Jaylon Smith is instinct and commitment. When you watch Smith there is a hesitation in his game and a lack of instinct in diagnosing a play whereas Cox seems to have those qualities.

Yeah, it is like he has a delay in his thinking of what to do. At least side to side. Straight on he seems better.
I will still wait to see in real games. But not expecting miracles, just hoping I guess.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Given Dallas' lack of a quality d-line I am a bit surprised they do not go more with a 3-4 defense wherein you have the 4 LB's be Parsons, LVE, Cox, and Neal as that would seem to be the best approach as of right now.

I think that is part of Quinn's defense, they can have a look of that either way. Parsons lining up as a DE, but is really the 4th LB. Kind of what Haley did. What SF / Dallas called the Elephant position. Maybe I am wrong, but it is just a thought.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Too me Cox is a bit lesser version of Parsons. Both guys have good size and speed. They look more like strong safeties than LB but play have the physical abilities of LB.

Sydla

Reaction score
I'm glad he's here, he's looks like he's going to be a good pick up. Because 9 and LVE are here he will have the time to work on his strength this season, while getting ready to take a huge step forward next year when 9 is released.
NFL teams need 3 good LB's at minimum. Parsons, Cox and LVE will be a great unit.

LVE is a very good LB. Yes, he's had injuries and that is always concerning, but I do not get the apparent hate he gets on this site. I highly doubt they let him go next year. They never cut Sean Lee. Why? Because he was that good at his job when he was playing. That's LVE at his floor. At his ceiling, he's a bigger version of Lee when fully healthy. You aren't letting that walk out the door very easily.

It's not hate. It's reality. He's not played a very good LB recently. We can try to blame injuries but when you see some of the guys do a deep dive into his play, he's clearly not playing at a very good level. Missed tackles, missed assignments, etc. And if you buy into PFF, he had a pretty shoddy grade last year at LB.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Too me Cox is a bit lesser version of Parsons. Both guys have good size and speed. They look more like strong safeties than LB but play have the physical abilities of LB.

Cox is supposedly the better pass coverage LB from college. However, because Parsons was not asked to do that as much as Cox was in the style of play.
But he has the speed to do that and will learn to be better. If he needs to work at it at all. I have not heard much about this in TC. Or I missed it.

But yeah, they are right there, agree, Cox a lesser version.

Reactions: BAT