Twitter: Sturm's perfect summation

Sydla

Reaction score
Stephen seems determined to show daddy how this should be run. He's not perfect either, but at least he's objectively trying.

Trying what?

The only difference here is that Stephen is tighter with the purse strings. But Stephen fancies himself a roster builder like his dad and I think, like his dad, he has nary a clue himself.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Honestly, he was working on the wrong stuff and he had a new QB. You'd think he'd be working on what makes a successful QB/WR combo, like... working out with the guy during the offseason.
Like he did with Romo. And nobody has begged Dez to tone down anything other than his mouth the last few years.

That’s your narrative. I doubt very seriously he hasn’t worked a ton with Dak.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
That’s your narrative. I doubt very seriously he hasn’t worked a ton with Dak.
Just this off-season he's riding the razor's edge. He's talking about how he "gives a damn" and wants to be a Cowboy, but when Dak and the receivers go work out together... where was he? Arguably the most important of them all?
At least give the illusion of wanting to do anything to stay and get better, rather than lip service.

But I guess his not doing anything, while knowing this off-season is a very important one for many reasons, is my narrative.

Edit: And let's not even get into his "edge" comments...

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Just this off-season he's riding the razor's edge. He's talking about how he "gives a damn" and wants to be a Cowboy, but when Dak and the receivers go work out together... where was he?
At least give the illusion of wanting to do anything to stay and get better, rather than lip service.

But I guess his not doing anything, while knowing this off-season is a very important one for many reasons, is my narrative.

Edit: And let's not even get into his "edge" comments...

I wouldn’t judge him too much on what he hasn’t done this offseason.

First day of Free Agency they tried to replace him. I’m sure he had more info about his release then we probably knew.

Corso

Reaction score
I wouldn’t judge him too much on what he hasn’t done this offseason.

First day of Free Agency they tried to replace him. I’m sure he had more info about his release then we probably knew.
Right right... why try to show the team he wants to be here and improve as a WR, in his latter years (which would help any team that wants him)?
What about last off-season? The one before that? Well... that might have been Romo-time so... who needs to improve route-running and such?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Right right... why try to show the team he wants to be here and improve as a WR, in his latter years (which would help any team that wants him)?
What about last off-season? The one before that? Well... that might be Romo-time so... who needs to improve route-running and such?

Whatever narrative you want to set go ahead and set it.

Dez isn’t affraid to work hard so just showing up to work with Dez probably had some complications.

It’s not a big deal anyways so I don’t know why your hanging on it like it means anything. They practice all the time.

Corso

Reaction score
Whatever narrative you want to set go ahead and set it.

Dez isn’t affraid to work hard so just showing up to work with Dez probably had some complications.

It’s not a big deal anyways so I don’t know why your hanging on it like it means anything. They practice all the time.
Right on. I wish you a happy weekend my friend! Dude's gone and now the team will... who knows. I don't trust anything about the Cowboys.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Jimmy left because Jerry fired him. Jimmy has always stated that he wanted to stay at least one more year to see if he could three-peat.

Please cite a source for this comment.

If you recall, the team was approached to give permission for Norv to be interviewed for the head coach job of either Jax or Carolina, both expansion teams. When Jimmy was asked about losing his OC, he said, why would they want to interview him when they could interview me?

It was Jerry that tried to negotiate one more year out of Jimmy, then gave him 2 million when he left.

https://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/...jimmy-split-new-spin-on-why-johnson-left-boys

This Jerry fired him has been a mischaracterization for 24 years.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Dez is a petulant baby. He relied entirely on physical superiority to succeed. Those gifts are fading. For a 3 year stretch he was worth the aggravation. For the last 3 years he was not worth it. We will be a better team without him.

He is always crying for respect but he has no idea what that word even means. He does not even respect himself let alone others. He thinks that being respected means being treated like a spoiled brat.

You wanted respect and all he got was walking papers. How you like them apples.

The pass over the middle that went through his hands for the INT against Seattle, coupled w/ the fumble, was it for me. I wanted him gone then. How many drops of passes he should’ve caught did he have last season - 10?

dthahn

The Doctor Is IN!
Reaction score
Please cite a source for this comment.

If you recall, the team was approached to give permission for Norv to be interviewed for the head coach job of either Jax or Carolina, both expansion teams. When Jimmy was asked about losing his OC, he said, why would they want to interview him when they could interview me?

It was Jerry that tried to negotiate one more year out of Jimmy, then gave him 2 million when he left.

https://sportsday.***BANNED-DO-NOT-...jimmy-split-new-spin-on-why-johnson-left-boys

This Jerry fired him has been a mischaracterization for 24 years.

I know you to be a long time Cowboys fan so I am very surprised that you did not know what actually happened in this situation. My sources are simple: 1) Jerry Jones who has proclaimed many times that he "fired" Jimmy 2) Skip Bayless who used to be an inside reporter for the Cowboys and wrote a book about this, and 3) Jimmy Johnson himself who has stated in several interviews that he wanted to stay to try to three-peat.

Your story makes no sense at all because Jerry did not have to negotiate anything to get Jimmy to stay. Jimmy was already under contract. Jerry had to negotiate with Jimmy to fire him because he could not fire him with cause because Jimmy had just won back to back Superbowls. Jimmy could not quit because he was under contract. He could not retire because he still wanted to coach football. As Skip Bayless tells it Jerry wanted to get rid of Jimmy so he negotiated a settlement to get Jimmy to leave, in other words, he fired him. Was it a bonehead move? Heck yes! Was it based on ego? Heck yes!

You obviously got taken in by the media circus surrounding this because they are the ones that got a lot of mileage out of spinning this story in all kinds of ways. But the only mischaracterization going on here is by the media. I am only citing facts here. .

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score

That's Jerry's creation. His refusal to stay out of the locker room repeatedly creates these issues for coaches.

It's why Jimmy left a year or two too soon.

Only team in sports really that has an elevator from the locker room to the owner's suite. It's a toxic perk and Jerry is too much of a foolish, fan to realize how destructive that level of access when given to the players.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
The purge is real and the purge is good. Take unproductive locker room cancers and replace them with players who are in it to win it.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I actually heard that on the radio yesterday as well. It was fine when they had to hold the plane because Dez was late when he was going over 1,000 yards and 10+ TD's, but when all that stopped it got tiresome for the players.
Jimmy told the pilot to go despite a late arriving Mike Irvin being within eyesight.

Irvin bought his own ticket, got to the game on time and was never late again.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I know you to be a long time Cowboys fan so I am very surprised that you did not know what actually happened in this situation. My sources are simple: 1) Jerry Jones who has proclaimed many times that he "fired" Jimmy 2) Skip Bayless who used to be an inside reporter for the Cowboys and wrote a book about this, and 3) Jimmy Johnson himself who has stated in several interviews that he wanted to stay to try to three-peat.

Your story makes no sense at all because Jerry did not have to negotiate anything to get Jimmy to stay. Jimmy was already under contract. Jerry had to negotiate with Jimmy to fire him because he could not fire him with cause because Jimmy had just won back to back Superbowls. Jimmy could not quit because he was under contract. He could not retire because he still wanted to coach football. As Skip Bayless tells it Jerry wanted to get rid of Jimmy so he negotiated a settlement to get Jimmy to leave, in other words, he fired him. Was it a bonehead move? Heck yes! Was it based on ego? Heck yes!

You obviously got taken in by the media circus surrounding this because they are the ones that got a lot of mileage out of spinning this story in all kinds of ways. But the only mischaracterization going on here is by the media. I am only citing facts here. .

Read the article. it contradicts a great deal of what "Jerry" says.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
And Jerry’s open door policy for his handpicked favorites is one of the most damaging things he does to this team and to his coaches. It’s idiotic. Darren Woodson brought this up as a big issue in Dallas years ago, and he’s right. There’s a reason for a chain of command in the first place.

Jimmy Johnson famously said that all players are not treated equal. You don’t cut a star. Stars get more leeway. The truth is that Dez just wasn’t a star anymore.