Sunday games thread

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Agree. The timeout was not why they lost. They lost because they didn’t stuff the 3rd down run. The argument against the timeout is that it allowed LV to bring in the exact personnel that it wanted for the play and it otherwise may have just ran a vanilla RB dive

The argument is revisionist history as well. Here is an image of the formation before the time-out. It is the exact same formation they were in when they ran it on 3rd and 4. Looks like 25 should have followed the slot WR across the formation as well so he was uncovered.

FIt7hjRX0AAARfN

droopdog7

Reaction score
Rory McIlroy BLEW it taking the TO....LV was happy running it out, but the TO totally pizzed off the LV coach.
I still have NO idea what good would come of the timeout? You WANT the dang game to end.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
How can the TO mean nothing when it gave them extra time to make the FG. Both Carr and others said they were fine running clock until TO. At the least maybe it’s a longer FG

It gave them two seconds. They let ten seconds run off before they attempted the kick.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I'm still in disbelief. This is the type of stuff that happened under the Garrett Cowboys.

Not really....Garrett was too conservative...this Chargers coach is just a moron. Totally bought into these new "analytics".....trying to out smart everyone.

Funny how games are won on the field......and not in a computer. :popcorn:

droopdog7

Reaction score
Does anyone remember what the raiders were doing right before the chargers called the timeout? There were only a few seconds left. Were they preparing to hike the ball or were the raiders going take the penalty?

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Does anyone remember what the raiders were doing right before the chargers called the timeout? There were only a few seconds left. Were they preparing to hike the ball or were the raiders going take the penalty?

Posted this photo once already but they were about to run the same exact play they ran after the timeout.

FIt7hjRX0AAARfN

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
It gave them two seconds. They let ten seconds run off before they attempted the kick.

That is after TO. Players were admitting no hurry and letting clock run. We have no clue. The TO was unnecessary.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Wow...the NFL doing the Raiders no favors......last game Sunday....first game Saturday.....early...and they gotta travel. Raiders are gonna run out of gas by the 3rd quarter. If I'm Cincy.....I'm running all verticals on offense in the first quarter....the whole quarter. Might not effect the Raiders CBs early....but they won't have anything left in the 2nd half.

kwcool619

Reaction score
Wow...the NFL doing the Raiders no favors......last game Sunday....first game Saturday.....early...and they gotta travel. Raiders are gonna run out of gas by the 3rd quarter. If I'm Cincy.....I'm running all verticals on offense in the first quarter....the whole quarter. Might not effect the Raiders CBs early....but they won't have anything left in the 2nd half.

Besides trying to contain JaMarr Chase and Tee Higgins, don't forget about Joe Mixon in the running game.

kwcool619

Reaction score
Not really....Garrett was too conservative...this Chargers coach is just a moron. Totally bought into these new "analytics".....trying to out smart everyone.

Funny how games are won on the field......and not in a computer. :popcorn:

Yep. I personally feel that Staley unnecessarily left 9 points on the field against KC. He cost his team a playoff spot.

windjc

Reaction score
The Raiders Chargers game was one of the top 10 wildest NFL games I have seen in 40+ years. It might be top 5 or top 3.

And for it to end the way it did, with Chargers calling a timeout when the Raiders were happy to run out the clock, its a true testament to how weak minded the Chargers organization is historically. Converting 6 or 7 straight 4th and 9+ yard attempts including scoring with no time of the clock was absolutely insanity. Pittsburgh should have been the real loser, but the Chargers decided to implode with 25 seconds left instead.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
The Raiders were trying to win that game. On that 3rd and 4, if Staley doesn't call a timeout then the Raiders probably run a play and convert the 1st down anyway. There was less than 5 seconds on the playclock so they had to snap the ball at least one more time. At that point, the Raiders were in a no-lose situation. You can then run the clock down as much as possible and then go for the FG to win. If you miss, it doesn't matter because there is no time left.