Super Bowl Halftime Show

BoltsNHorns

RamsFan
Reaction score
Firstly, I think that the current "artists" are terrible that they've been putting up for the Super Bowl Halftime Shows. Maroon 5 is RUBBISH compared to the music I like. I'm a Classic Rock/metal guy. This is in the NFL Zone because it's addressing the halftime show, but if the mods would like to move this elsewhere, that's fine.

I understand that the Super Bowl is a very American event, but they have also had international people do the halftime show. I recall The Who doing the halftime show for example. After googling it, I found that also Phil Collins (SB XXXIV), U2, Sting, Sir Paul McCartney, the Rolling Stones, and Coldplay have done the halftime show at different times. So, I don't think it's unheard of for international artists to do the halftime show. Who is my suggestion for the next halftime show then?

Rammstein!

Yes, they're German, but MAN, according to a lot of friends of mine that have seen them (yes, mostly my German friends), they put on an INSANE show!! For those of you that don't know Rammstein, here are 3 of my favourite songs by them. One of them is a lyric as opposed to the video

1. Sonne -

(Had to take this one out as I didn't realize something in it)

2. Mein Herz Brennt -

A bonus one as this is their best known:

Du Hast! -

Now, how about THAT for a halftime show? Just those 4 alone would DEMOLISH any of the groups they've had lately for their "shows". Oh, and they use some INSANE pyrotechnics for their shows. Yes, their songs are in German (with one exception), but it would be really cool!

Respect everyone music taste but if they don't play country music during half-time, I'm not watching it. I think every music in the world is garbage compare to country music. Well Disney and those Anime or K-pop isn't bad actually. But nothing come close to country, its like comparing Jared Goff to that bum OT pick thrower Drew Brees.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Respect everyone music taste but if they don't play country music during half-time, I'm not watching it. I think every music in the world is garbage compare to country music. Well Disney and those Anime or K-pop isn't bad actually. But nothing come close to country, its like comparing Jared Goff to that bum OT pick thrower Drew Brees.

I won't knock country, especially as it's still better than the usual NFL rubbish. However, I must say that metal like Rammstein, Iron Maiden, or Metallica would be sensational.

Insomniac

Reaction score
I'm curious as to why they wouldn't be what the NFL is looking for in a halftime act, unless, as I've said, they are afraid of Rammstein upstaging them. Is it because they sing in German?

I'd love a Rammstein halftime show but what the NFL wants from a halftime show is to have an act that will maximize the TV audience. The AFC Championship game had an audience of 53.9 million last week. As a long time NFL fan my favorite weekend has always been the Championship Sunday. It doesn't matter who's playing I'll watch. I think of it as the day for real NFL fans. Generally the late game is the 2nd highest rated TV program of the year. The Super Bowl is the highest rated program. It usually gets > 2x as many viewers as the late Championship game. The additional audience is of people who aren't fans of the sport.

The choice of halftime performer is to encourage as many people who don't care about the sport to watch the first half and the halftime show. That's why the recent selections generally have been pop stars that appeal to women 25-34 and younger. Why? Because women buy more stuff than men and that's an age group that hasn't reduced their buying decisions to what they've always bought. That's what advertisers care about. The NFL also cares about getting younger women to watch the Super Bowl because if they get in the habit of watching it they'll be watching it with their boyfriend/husband when they're 25-34.

I think the NFL's dream for a halftime show is Taylor Swift but since Pepsi is the sponsor and she does ads for Coke that's going to happen.

I'm surprised though that they couldn't find a bigger act than Maroon 5 this year. Part of it must be that it's an unpaid gig, and I heard they have tried to get acts to give the a % of their tour revenue in exchange for the exposure. I can only imagine what would happen if Roger Goodell had made that type of proposal to a group managed by Led Zeppelin's manager the late Peter Grant. Would Grant have thrown him out of the window of the NYC highrise conference room or just beat him to death in the conference room?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I'd love a Rammstein halftime show but what the NFL wants from a halftime show is to have an act that will maximize the TV audience. The AFC Championship game had an audience of 53.9 million last week. As a long time NFL fan my favorite weekend has always been the Championship Sunday. It doesn't matter who's playing I'll watch. I think of it as the day for real NFL fans. Generally the late game is the 2nd highest rated TV program of the year. The Super Bowl is the highest rated program. It usually gets > 2x as many viewers as the late Championship game. The additional audience is of people who aren't fans of the sport.

The choice of halftime performer is to encourage as many people who don't care about the sport to watch the first half and the halftime show. That's why the recent selections generally have been pop stars that appeal to women 25-34 and younger. Why? Because women buy more stuff than men and that's an age group that hasn't reduced their buying decisions to what they've always bought. That's what advertisers care about. The NFL also cares about getting younger women to watch the Super Bowl because if they get in the habit of watching it they'll be watching it with their boyfriend/husband when they're 25-34.

I think the NFL's dream for a halftime show is Taylor Swift but since Pepsi is the sponsor and she does ads for Coke that's going to happen.

I'm surprised though that they couldn't find a bigger act than Maroon 5 this year. Part of it must be that it's an unpaid gig, and I heard they have tried to get acts to give the a % of their tour revenue in exchange for the exposure. I can only imagine what would happen if Roger Goodell had made that type of proposal to a group managed by Led Zeppelin's manager the late Peter Grant. Would Grant have thrown him out of the window of the NYC highrise conference room or just beat him to death in the conference room?

I get that, but I think Rammstein would maximize the audience. Speaking as a 26 year old, I love metal music, and Rammstein would fill that. I get that the NFL thinks that my age group wants pop. However, that's where I think they're wrong. Ive spoken on Facebook with a lot of people in my age group (and not just Germans or Europeans) who are actually quite tired of the pop. I think Rammstein would be a change a lot in my age group would like, and the NFL would benefit Internationally as well as domestically. At the very least, Rammstein would be great for the Cowboys to play while taking the field.

As for Taylor Swift, how many different songs can she possibly have about different blokes that she doesn't like? It really gets tiresome after a while. Though, I see the point about marketing to women. I just respond to it by asking why they can't take a break from the pop for once and play some serious metal?

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
You are entitled to your opinion, but I've been to a Maroon 5 concert and they were very entertaining. They've won several Grammys, Peoples Choice and Billboard Music Awards. They sell out every concert. They have also been nominated for the BRIT 4 times, have won MTV Europe, Asia, Japan and Latin America Awards. They have won and been nominated the World Music Awards which is based off worldwide sales figures. More importantly they appeal to a younger generation which is what the NFL needs.
:thumbdown:

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
HXT0Pd5.jpg

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Almost every sb halftime show has been garbage for a long long time. The audience for them is 11-14 year old girls lol

I know, right? I just want 1 really badass band to play, and Rammstein certainly fits that description. I think that the NFL will find that their ratings would go through the roof with a band like Rammstein. Sure, they don't sing in English, but man, how cool would it be with the effects that Rammstein uses during their show? And how cool would itibe to hear THAT music? Besides, heavy metal music is PERFECT for football. Metallica or Iron Maiden would be cool too.

Pape

Reaction score
I know, right? I just want 1 really badass band to play, and Rammstein certainly fits that description. I think that the NFL will find that their ratings would go through the roof with a band like Rammstein. Sure, they don't sing in English, but man, how cool would it be with the effects that Rammstein uses during their show? And how cool would itibe to hear THAT music? Besides, heavy metal music is PERFECT for football. Metallica or Iron Maiden would be cool too.

if rammstein were the last performing musical act left on the planet, they wouldn't get the super bowl gig ... the nfl would bring back the frisbee catching dog act for half time

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
if rammstein were the last performing musical act left on the planet, they wouldn't get the super bowl gig ... the nfl would bring back the frisbee catching dog act for half time

I get that. I'm just saying that just for once, I want to see the League have a metal band do a halftime show. I get that they like having pop music at halftime, but I think that it's getting a bit overkill and overdone. Metal would be a good change of pace. Doesn't mean to say that they can't go back to pop later. Just for once, give other people a chance to hear music that they would like. If Rammstein wouldn't do it, then how about Iron Maiden? That would be seriously cool too.

Pape

Reaction score
I get that. I'm just saying that just for once, I want to see the League have a metal band do a halftime show. I get that they like having pop music at halftime, but I think that it's getting a bit overkill and overdone. Metal would be a good change of pace. Doesn't mean to say that they can't go back to pop later. Just for once, give other people a chance to hear music that they would like. If Rammstein wouldn't do it, then how about Iron Maiden? That would be seriously cool too.

sucks to be you then.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
sucks to be you then.

That may be, but why can't the NFL rotate genres? I mean, when the SB was in San Francisco, I was thinking Journey would've been a good fit as they're from the area, and who doesn't like Journey?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Steve Perry?

Well, Arnel is quite good. As for Perry, I was thinking that he and Journey could perform together one last time at SB 50. And he may not like the band anymore, but I think that a lot of people do.