News: Supplemental Draft to be held Wednesday, July 10th

cern

Reaction score
Out of 45 players picked, we took 5. That's over 10% of all the picks.
This is not only nonsense, but redundant as well. You already said this earlier. If you were in the bottom 10% of your graduating class, would you consider that a high percentage? Perhaps you would.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
This is not only nonsense, but redundant as well. You already said this earlier. If you were in the bottom 10% of your graduating class, would you consider that a high percentage? Perhaps you would.

Oh, yea, I bet AbeAbeta had hotter girls!
Leeds girls and Newark are nice, though.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Me mum, unemployed and raising me, considered us impoverished but of nobility. I dont believe her.
But I think me family was of the lower 10%, but hell of good cooks!

AbeBeta

Reaction score

Basic math here. 32 teams. 45 picks. We've taken five players.

We are 3% of the league yet have made over 10% of the picks.

That's not the bottom 10%. Good lord, you are talking percentiles but don't even know what that means.

To spell it out more, league average would be 1.5 picks (so 1 or 2) per team. We've taken 5. To spell it out more ... above the average means you are part of the top 50% ... above by 3 picks is likely the TOP 10%.

cern

Reaction score

That's not the bottom 10%. Good lord, you are talking percentiles but don't even know what that means.

To spell it out more, league average would be 1.5 picks (so 1 or 2) per team. We've taken 5. To spell it out more ... above the average means you are part of the top 50% ... above by 3 picks is likely the TOP 10%.
We didn't draft him. Ergo you really have no point other than trying to be right about nothing.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Agreed.

Unpopular opinion, but our staff seems content with Heath and Woods. Toss in Iloka, Frazier, Thompson, Wilson they are pretty set on guys they like.

I would have loved to get Thompson for a 5th, but you have to trust your staff.

That’s why I am puzzled by the pick.

Maybe they're happy with Wilson as the developmental SS, and don't want to carry another one.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score

You are also throwing out every year where a supplemental draft occurred and no player was taken. The percentage gets even smaller when you compare eligible players versus those 5 picks by Dallas

Dodger12

Reaction score
You are also throwing out every year where a supplemental draft occurred and no player was taken. The percentage gets even smaller when you compare eligible players versus those 5 picks by Dallas

Not to jump in the fray but I have no idea why folks are debating the point unless they just want to argue. In the Jerry Jones era, 30 players have been picked in the Supplemental Draft and we've taken 5 of those players. @AbeBeta s correct and it's certainly not rare that Dallas gets involved in the Supplemental Draft. I mean, Jerry has taken 1 in 6 players drafted in the SD during his tenure as GM.

Either way, I wouldn't have an issue trying to improve the team with a low round pick but a lot of these players have red flags. But so did Randy Gregory and we burned a 2nd on him so why wouldn't we spend a 4th or a 5th round pick on a potential starting safety?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Out of 45 players picked, we took 5. That's over 10% of all the picks.

Again, that's irrelevant to what he said, and you are fabricating an argument based on something he didn't say

He didn't comment on how the Cowboys use the supplemental draft relative to other teams, he merely said the Cowboys rarely use the supplement draft.

On average, the Cowboys use the supplemental draft once every 8.6 years, and that IS rarely using it.

Last edited:

AbeBeta

Reaction score

Our % would still be higher relative to the rest of the league.

Folks here are confusing base rates (low overall) with our tendencies compared to the rest of the league.

We make more selections than most other teams. Overall, few selections are made by any team. Our tendencies need to be compared to the base rate. Saying we rarely make picks is a statistic taken out of context. Recognizing what you perceive as a low # of Dallas picks ignores base rates (i.e., the comparative context).

So for all y'all say "that only one pick every X years" or some other decontextualized nonsense, you are doing statistics ignorantly.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
?????????

I assumed your sarcasm about it being "radical" to plan ahead for the loss of a player, and mentioning Aikman and Staubach in connection with that, was a jab at the Cowboys for not planning ahead. I was merely pointing out they didn't plan ahead with Aikman, but they did with Staubach.