Supplemental draft?

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
Mike Wahle and Jamal Williams were picked in the 1998 supplemental draft. They both played in this year's Pro Bowl.

Thanks boss, I knew you'd come through.

Do you have a site with the history of supplemental picks? I did a quick search and couldn't find one.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
At first I was strongly against bringing in Brooks, but I've done a lot of reading on him and he doesn't seem like a bad guy. His work ethic and leadership is supposed to be above and beyond. The problem is that he has reportedly failed drug test REPEATEDLY.

When asked about Parham in his press conference Parcells said the Cowboys were looking for inside linebackers in this draft but couldn't find any. The question becomes what would you bid. I think you would have to bid at least a 2nd to have any realistic shot at him, most likely a 1st. Do you spend such a high draft pick on someone who could be the next Ricky Williams or Ontario Smith. Then again Channing Crowder and Odell Thurman had character problems coming out last year, and both of them were impact players for their teams as rookies.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CrazyCowboy said:
I would like to see us bid a 3rd rd pick for Brooks......
You know the way teams covet those 4th round picks. If we did that, expect more wheeling and dealing next draft day to get that 4th rounder back.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
JackMagist said:
Yep...between getting a 1st and a 2nd for Walsh and a 1st for Pelluer Jimmy did pretty good trading scrub QB's.
That's almost an insult to scrub QBs everywhere.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
I wouldnt...I wouldnt use any pick on him to be honest

Bradie James really came on last yr and looks to be developing into a very good ILB...we just signed Akin Ayodele to a decent contract to play the other ILB spot

Brooks was painfully out of shape and soft last yr...he was poor on the field and is a total turd off the field, resulting in him getting canned off the team

I doubt we'll have any interest at all

David

He doesn't look the type of what we want in a player nowadays.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
At first I was strongly against bringing in Brooks, but I've done a lot of reading on him and he doesn't seem like a bad guy. His work ethic and leadership is supposed to be above and beyond. The problem is that he has reportedly failed drug test REPEATEDLY.

When asked about Parham in his press conference Parcells said the Cowboys were looking for inside linebackers in this draft but couldn't find any. The question becomes what would you bid. I think you would have to bid at least a 2nd to have any realistic shot at him, most likely a 1st. Do you spend such a high draft pick on someone who could be the next Ricky Williams or Ontario Smith. Then again Channing Crowder and Odell Thurman had character problems coming out last year, and both of them were impact players for their teams as rookies.
Had he failed only one test I would be comfortable bidding a fairly high pick...say a 2nd round on him. But he has had multiple failures and that is a big red flag; it shows that he kid has problems with self control. I would bid no higher than a 4th round on him as it stands and if that didn't get him, so be it.

ravidubey

Reaction score
New England will bid at least a 3rd round pick on principle. Besides us, Miami, Cleveland, San Diego, San Fran, and Pittsburgh should all be interested.

JPM

Reaction score
I know that he was overweight during the season. I have no idea where his weight/fitness level is at right now.

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
JPM said:
I know that he was overweight during the season. I have no idea where his weight/fitness level is at right now.

I read that he was in the 280s and should be in the 240s....Until I heard that I really liked him as a player , but then this plus whatever caused him to be kicked off his college team. I would look at him but with caution..

L-O-Jete

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
Yep...between getting a 1st and a 2nd for Walsh and a 1st for Pelluer Jimmy did pretty good trading scrub QB's.
No way we goy a 1st for Pelluer, you gotta be sh@@@ing me, who got fleeced?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The question would be, if you were drafting him in last months draft, where would you place him on your board? I believe that from a talent perpective, the guy was a top 10 pick. He has that kind of talent. The off field issues obviously drop him but lets say you've downgraded him to a 2nd round pick because of these issue. Not saying he is but just for an example. If your board shows him as a top 10 pick but your downgrading him to the 2nd round because of other issues, then you gotta be willing to give that up as a supplemental offering if you have interest.

Last year was the strongest group of LBs I can remember coming out in recent history. Brooks, had he stuck with the program, would have been the highest rated LB in last years draft. Likely higher then AJ Hawk. Again, this is based on no off field problems etc. Unless he's hooked on Crack, he's going to go pretty high IMO. I think Rosh is correct on this one. I think it will likely take a 2nd round pick. If he's only testing positive to weed or inhancement drugs, teams are going to be more forgiving IMO.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
If he would have failed two drug tests in the months leading up to the draft like he failed two drug tests at Virginia since January, he probably would have been drafted in the midrounds.

Even if recent events never happened, the fact that he's been arrested for possession for having weed in his car in 2003 and injury/weight problems and coming off a subpar season ... I don't think he would have been a Top 15 pick in this draft.

L-O-Jete

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
The question would be, if you were drafting him in last months draft, where would you place him on your board? I believe that from a talent perpective, the guy was a top 10 pick. He has that kind of talent. The off field issues obviously drop him but lets say you've downgraded him to a 2nd round pick because of these issue. Not saying he is but just for an example. If your board shows him as a top 10 pick but your downgrading him to the 2nd round because of other issues, then you gotta be willing to give that up as a supplemental offering if you have interest.

Last year was the strongest group of LBs I can remember coming out in recent history. Brooks, had he stuck with the program, would have been the highest rated LB in last years draft. Likely higher then AJ Hawk. Again, this is based on no off field problems etc. Unless he's hooked on Crack, he's going to go pretty high IMO. I think Rosh is correct on this one. I think it will likely take a 2nd round pick. If he's only testing positive to weed or inhancement drugs, teams are going to be more forgiving IMO.
If he's on the juice he'll drop to the 4th or 5th, if it's "just" weed it'll be to the 2nd maybe 3rd since it seems to be "chronic":lmao2:

dallasfan

Reaction score
JPM said:

I'm sorry but I had to laugh at your signature. If 2/3s of the world is covered by water and the rest is covered by Roy Williams then I'm building an arc.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Whatever the case. If we have him rated high, we would need to offer that in kind. If not, then whatever we've rated him on our board. If it's 5th, then it's 5th.

Whatever it is, we will stick to our board but really, we should have the best G2 possible on this guy.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Silverstar said:
I'm sure Jeff Ireland has done his homework and has talked with Al Groh about him already.

and Groh has probably told him not to touch Brooks with a 40-foot pole