Suppose we draft Howard--TE Alabama

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lets assume hypothetically that we draft Howard late in the first round or in the early second in a trade down. He is alleged to be the best tight end in the class but a tier below some of the elite tight ends that have been drafted in prior years.

He would obviously be the heir apparent to Witten going that high. With Wittens huge cap hit where do you guys see that leaving Witten? Taking a pay cut to stay a year or two? Being cut as a cap casualty?

Witten could obviously teach the kid a lot, but as a player Witten has seen better days. What do you guys see as the most likely scenario with Witten if we were to go that route?
Jerry will not get rid of both Witten and Romo in the same year. That is too much of a PR backlash.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
I think this is more likely in the mid to late rounds

Name: Michael Roberts

School: Toledo

Ht: 6043

Wt: 261

Arm: 33 2/8

Hand: 11 5/8

Tues: Roberts did a terrific job today. He plays much faster than anyone would expect and runs solid routes. Except for one drop he also caught the ball very well, but he was beat a few times around the edge during blocking drills.

Wed: Except for one bad drop it was a very good day for Roberts. Again, he showed surprising speed and quickness and came away with several tough grabs. Also looked dominant in blocking drills.

Thurs: Another terrific practice from Roberts. He looks incredibly smooth and fluid for a 261-pound tight end and made a lot of nice receptions down the field today.

Analysis: Roberts improved from his impressive performance at last week’s Shrine Game. He’s incredibly fluid and smooth for a 260-pound tight end and catches the ball exceptionally well. Roberts is deceptively quick and plays the game at a good pace. He blocks like an offensive tackle and really impressed scouts during his Senior Bowl performance.
I like his story. He seems like he is the kind of player that eats soup with a fork.......those are the players I want filling out our roster.......Hungry players.

Verdict

Reaction score
He very well could land in New York. Paul Perkins has emerged and almost eliminates a RB in round one.

They have needs at LB and maybe DT.

Howard, Beckham, Shepard ... that may be the best trio in the NFL.

I don't think that Perkins is remotely the answer at RB for the Giants. I expect the Giants to take a RB in the first couple of rounds if the pick value matches the position.

Verdict

Reaction score
Jerry will not get rid of both Witten and Romo in the same year. That is too much of a PR backlash.

I think that if Romo goes the odds of Witten being ushered out the door is probably slightly higher, not lower. Without a pay cut Wittens days may be numbered if our front office is thinking with logic rather than emotion.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I think this is more likely in the mid to late rounds

Name: Michael Roberts

School: Toledo

Ht: 6043

Wt: 261

Arm: 33 2/8

Hand: 11 5/8

Tues: Roberts did a terrific job today. He plays much faster than anyone would expect and runs solid routes. Except for one drop he also caught the ball very well, but he was beat a few times around the edge during blocking drills.

Wed: Except for one bad drop it was a very good day for Roberts. Again, he showed surprising speed and quickness and came away with several tough grabs. Also looked dominant in blocking drills.

Thurs: Another terrific practice from Roberts. He looks incredibly smooth and fluid for a 261-pound tight end and made a lot of nice receptions down the field today.

Analysis: Roberts improved from his impressive performance at last week’s Shrine Game. He’s incredibly fluid and smooth for a 260-pound tight end and catches the ball exceptionally well. Roberts is deceptively quick and plays the game at a good pace. He blocks like an offensive tackle and really impressed scouts during his Senior Bowl performance.

Roberts is exactly the type of guy this team would draft, specifically because he's a good blocker already.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Shortsighted to pan drafting Howard. He's an elite prospect. He'd be a cornerstone of the franchise for a decade. Not drafting someone because we have a 34 yr old in his last season at the same position would be the height of stupidity.

Not that he'll be available at 28, but if he was, they should run his name to the podium.

RS12

Reaction score
Shortsighted to pan drafting Howard. He's an elite prospect.

Dont know that anybody is panning it, consensus among talking heads is that he will be long gone by 28. If he were there and by far the highest rated player on the board, take him. I could see him fitting Dak's strengths like a glove.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Dont know that anybody is panning it, consensus among talking heads is that he will be long gone by 28. If he were there and by far the highest rated player on the board, take him. I could see him fitting Dak's strengths like a glove.
Read the thread.

Verdict

Reaction score
What do you guys think happens to Witten if we happen to get Howard or another tight end in the first round?

RomoFor6

Reaction score
He very well could land in New York. Paul Perkins has emerged and almost eliminates a RB in round one.

They have needs at LB and maybe DT.

Howard, Beckham, Shepard ... that may be the best trio in the NFL.
They were one of the worst offenses in the league this year... With or without Howard they'd still be ****

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Lets assume hypothetically that we draft Howard late in the first round or in the early second in a trade down. He is alleged to be the best tight end in the class but a tier below some of the elite tight ends that have been drafted in prior years.

He would obviously be the heir apparent to Witten going that high. With Wittens huge cap hit where do you guys see that leaving Witten? Taking a pay cut to stay a year or two? Being cut as a cap casualty?

Witten could obviously teach the kid a lot, but as a player Witten has seen better days. What do you guys see as the most likely scenario with Witten if we were to go that route?
he will get the same fate as escobar because Howard is blocks worse than Escobar

Macnalty

Reaction score
I cannot remember a TE class that has this much upper talent, the RB pool is also awesome, expect our NFC east rivals to upgrade at RB big time. Odd that the WR talent is average at best at the top.
Going to have to really see into the future with some of the Oline prospects IMO.
QB's might be worse than last year, we so hit the lottery with Dak, getting a real DE is trivial compared to his pick.
BPA at 28 is going to be a challenge.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Ok my 2 cents - Howard will not make it to 28. IF, big if, he did - he would be another great talent to put around Dak, and I for one would have no problem with it. (As much as I scream for D-line).
Just can't see him falling that far. And Knowing Witten, he would take the kid under his wing and school him up. He knows he is probably on his last year or two. This would be the perfect TE for him to mentor. Unfortunately, not gonna happen.