Supposedly Byron Jones and Jourdan Lewis have been made available for trades

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We used a 1st for byron and hes one of the best corners in the league. If they trade him away for a second or 3rd rounder something is seriously wrong with this fo.

He's been good for one year and is due a big contract. That is not enough to land us a 1st round pick. We'd be lucky to get a 3rd.

Gaede

Reaction score
He's been good for one year and is due a big contract. That is not enough to land us a 1st round pick. We'd be lucky to get a 3rd.

No, that's not true.

We can get a first for Jones, for sure. At the very least, a high second. Big corner, athletic marvel, in his prime. I agree the contract is a sticking point though.

It's likely be wouldn't be traded until after the draft, when a corner desperate te has no choice.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I can't understand the "hate" for Lewis. If he gets traded, he's going to end up being a stud for someone else.
He just has playmaking ability you can't teach.
He does show good ability but for some reason the Cowboys dont see that. He is the type of guy the Patriots would offer Jerry a 6th round pick and then he would go there and be coached up into being their #2 CB.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
If this guy is right about something Cowboys-related, it would be the first time.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Makes perfect sense in Dallas. Finally get a decent secondary and then trade 2 of your top 4 guys. Sounds like a great idea. The hubris is strong in Dallas.

LittleD

Reaction score
No, that's not true.

We can get a first for Jones, for sure. At the very least, a high second. Big corner, athletic marvel, in his prime. I agree the contract is a sticking point though.

It's likely be wouldn't be traded until after the draft, when a corner desperate te has no choice.

You can only get a high second if some trash team wants to give up their pick. Only teams picking in the bottom half of the draft want to trade their picks for players. Byron is much better at CB than FS for sure but, he still has no real sense of how to play the ball. Poor tackler also.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
He does show good ability but for some reason the Cowboys dont see that. He is the type of guy the Patriots would offer Jerry a 6th round pick and then he would go there and be coached up into being their #2 CB.

100 pct agree. We heard all about the toughness. How he was a first round talent. All that. Now they look to trade a young CB. Zero chance of recovering his true value. Only in Dallas. In this league you need at least 4 solid CBs. They have it, why screw it up?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I think it's a not so well know topic that we need another CB, but I doubt letting either go will happen.

Unless there is a link to a source at the very least.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Very interesting if they're not going to sign Byron. Their own pick, RKG, makes the Pro Bowl, athletic super freak. He ticks every box. Except maybe position.

Is it just Byron, or is it a shift away from paying CBs?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
This is not good. They both are going to feel disrespected now. If they are not traded now then we are going to have secondary of disrespected players with hurt feelings. That is not good for their egos or self confidence

I get tired of players and their "disrespected". They are assets to be kept or traded to best improve the team. It's not personal against them.

It's equally silly for a team to feel "disrespected" if a player goes to another team for a better contract or situation.

It's a business on both ends. Everyone is doing the best they can to do the best for themselves in that business. If they want to go to the dance with someone else, let it go and wish them luck.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Damn, Jones doesn't suprise me with his contract being up soon and his value at an all time high. I am suprised by Lewis though. They must believe in Anthony Brown?

Lewis makes more sense. We didn't play him. He was a largely wasted asset last year. Only 20% of the snaps. And those idiotic jetsweep fakes for him.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Very interesting if they're not going to sign Byron. Their own pick, RKG, makes the Pro Bowl, athletic super freak. He ticks every box. Except maybe position.

Is it just Byron, or is it a shift away from paying CBs?
Or it is simply Dallas not having enough cap to pay everyone comfortably. Jones is the last on the totem pole by a mile.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
If you can't get at least a second for Jones you might as well just let him play out his deal and bring you a 3rd round comp pick after next year.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Man, so many fans want to trade away Tank and Byron for second round picks. Gimme a break.

They're two elite players and both big reasons why we had one of the top defenses last year. Giving up elite players for unproven second round rookies is going backwards, not forwards. You pay and build around those guys if you want to win, not trade them away for picks.

Number one, neither are elite

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
I have 1 million dollars for you.

The problem is that I'm stuck in Nigeria and can't assess my money or friends and family.

If you wire 25K to me, I'll pay you the 1 million when I get back home to the US.

Cmon man that's too much. Just sell the idiot beachfront property in arizona.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
Man, so many fans want to trade away Tank and Byron for second round picks. Gimme a break.

They're two elite players and both big reasons why we had one of the top defenses last year. Giving up elite players for unproven second round rookies is going backwards, not forwards. You pay and build around those guys if you want to win, not trade them away for picks.
if the coaching was good enough then u use the patriots model and yes they would do something like that they let their best pass rusher walk and no up their is in a panic

conner01

Reaction score
I can't understand the "hate" for Lewis. If he gets traded, he's going to end up being a stud for someone else.
He just has playmaking ability you can't teach.
I like both
But I wouldn’t keep both or trade both and create a need
Jones is up for a contract next year. If you can move him for a premium pick I’d do it in a heartbeat
If you don’t want to pay top money for FA then you have to move them before they become a FA

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Or it is simply Dallas not having enough cap to pay everyone comfortably. Jones is the last on the totem pole by a mile.

Good point about the money. I'm not sure I'd put Jones on the bottom of the totem pole. The only downside on Jones is the value you place on the position, which for Jerry used to be high. No injury history. No drugs. There's a lot to like in Byron.