Supposedly Byron Jones and Jourdan Lewis have been made available for trades

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like both
But I wouldn’t keep both or trade both and create a need
Jones is up for a contract next year. If you can move him for a premium pick I’d do it in a heartbeat
If you don’t want to pay top money for FA then you have to move them before they become a FA

Exactly right, try to get value a year early if you can, rather than waiting and hoping for some comp pick you might never see.

conner01

Reaction score
Byron Jones aint getting extended...………..they are not paying a boat load of cash to a CB that didnt have a single pick last season.

Best to trade him now before he walks in free agency next season.
I agree
And I think you have to do it with every player
If you don’t want to have a Tank situation with Jones, Zeke and others, that’s the best move
If you aren’t willing to pay elite money to keep them then move them before you get to that point
Ideally you have a guy already to step in but if not then you draft one

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree
And I think you have to do it with every player
If you don’t want to have a Tank situation with Jones, Zeke and others, that’s the best move
If you aren’t willing to pay elite money to keep them then move them before you get to that point
Ideally you have a guy already to step in but if not then you draft one

I honestly don't see any way where the Cowboys would get anything resembling value for Byron Jones.

And by "value", I mean a 2nd round draft pick or greater. If you're not getting that much, there's truly no point in trading him away at all, and putting yourself at a disadvantage.
But who would give up that kind of an asset for a guy that had zero picks and will then have to be guaranteed a top cornerback contract? I can't think of any team that would be so cap and draft pick flush with such a crying need at the position as to do that.

conner01

Reaction score
Exactly right, try to get value a year early if you can, rather than waiting and hoping for some comp pick you might never see.
We know that any good player is gonna get huge money
People don’t want to pay huge money for tank but the only way to actually come out if you aren’t gonna pay them is move them on the 5th yr option
Jones is gonna ask for atleast top 5 cb money, Zeke is gonna want the top RB money
Tank wants top 2 rusher money
The writing is on the wall
Decide we’ll in advance who you are willing to pay and trade the othrrs

conner01

Reaction score
I honestly don't see any way where the Cowboys would get anything resembling value for Byron Jones.

And by "value", I mean a 2nd round draft pick or greater. If you're not getting that much, there's truly no point in trading him away at all, and putting yourself at a disadvantage.
But who would give up that kind of an asset for a guy that had zero picks and will then have to be guaranteed a top cornerback contract? I can't think of any team that would be so cap and draft pick flush with such a crying need at the position as to do that.
I don’t know
Jones is a good cover guy but picks get you paid
The thing about the comp is the compensation
If no team is paying him top 5 money then it’s not much of a comp pick
I probably wouldn’t trade for less than a 2nd
But I’m not so sure you couldn’t get a 2nd

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We know that any good player is gonna get huge money
People don’t want to pay huge money for tank but the only way to actually come out if you aren’t gonna pay them is move them on the 5th yr option
Jones is gonna ask for atleast top 5 cb money, Zeke is gonna want the top RB money
Tank wants top 2 rusher money
The writing is on the wall
Decide we’ll in advance who you are willing to pay and trade the othrrs

And no matter how you slice it, Jones is at the bottom of that list.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
LOL this place. So we want Jones and Lawrence gone?

I hope this defense goes to crap. Maybe...finally Marinelli can get the boot and people shut up about Richards as well.

This team is going to crumble soon. You don’t trade away your best players for little to nothing and expect to get better.

And LOL at people talking up Awuzie who hasn’t shown anything remotely close to being anything better than average as a corner.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Good point about the money. I'm not sure I'd put Jones on the bottom of the totem pole. The only downside on Jones is the value you place on the position, which for Jerry used to be high. No injury history. No drugs. There's a lot to like in Byron.
Well hopefully the sting they got from trading up for Claiborne and paying big money to Carr while going cheap with the pass rush taught them a lesson.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
This is not good. They both are going to feel disrespected now. If they are not traded now then we are going to have secondary of disrespected players with hurt feelings. That is not good for their egos or self confidence

Like the Lakers when there VP of Basketball operations LBJ couldn't pull the Davis trade off with NO. Those players quit on the team whose names came up.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
LOL this place. So we want Jones and Lawrence gone?

I hope this defense goes to crap. Maybe...finally Marinelli can get the boot and people shut up about Richards as well.

This team is going to crumble soon. You don’t trade away your best players for little to nothing and expect to get better.

And LOL at people talking up Awuzie who hasn’t shown anything remotely close to being anything better than average as a corner.
Awuzie was the team's best corner in the last quarter of the season.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I "cant deny" that he started strong. But I also can't deny that once teams realized that he's zero threat to take the ball away, they started testing him more, and having more success. Fact is, he's lucky that the Pro Bowl vote happened as early as it did, because he wouldn't have made it based on his entire season of work.

I'd trade Byron for a top of the round 2nd round pick, but Lewis for a fifth? No, not interested.
I wouldn’t. I’m in win now mode. If I was building for the future then trading Byron makes sense. It doesn’t make sense to me unless I’m getting equal value for him.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Like the Lakers when there VP of Basketball operations LBJ couldn't pull the Davis trade off with NO. Those players quit on the team whose names came up.
Yep. It happens. These guys are human and young men. To expect for them not to feel a certain type of way is wishful thinking.

conner01

Reaction score
And no matter how you slice it, Jones is at the bottom of that list.
If you find and pay a QB this is really what you need to do with most guys
Everyone one else you have to make serious decisions about
If you want to keep them you extend them early, if not you trade them with a year left and replace them
The price of a QB is so high it’s really the best model
Sign them or trade them with a year left
I was fine with not signing tank last year because of the other issues but there is no doubt it would have been cheaper
For it to work you must draft very well and look down the road, not immediate needs
I think that was the thought with taco but hasn’t worked out
I think that was the thought with Switzer but we gave up on him too quickly
You would have some tough choices and move on from good players but with QB contracts that may be the best option

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Terrible idea. I doubt they wanna trade them away. Maybe putting feelers out there for Byron see his value. If someone comes in and says well give a first then I can see them taking it. Here’s the thing giants were offered a first for Landon at s point and turned it down. If we do the same and let Byron walk were just like the giants then....

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldn’t. I’m in win now mode. If I was building for the future then trading Byron makes sense. It doesn’t make sense to me unless I’m getting equal value for him.

What's "equal value" to you?

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Jones technique leave a lot be desired, IMO. He is good a pushing his assignment to the boundary and semi-good at reading the receiver's eyes and getting his hands in the way to contest the catch. He does not play the ball, he does not turn his head around. He succeeds because he's fast with fluid hips and can keep with his man for the most part. However, I think this style of play is fairly replaceable and Richard can replicate it with a similar athletic CB. Not to mention the entire secondary benefited from the increased pass rush we saw last year. If we can get some value from Jones, I'm jumping on it.