Suprise. March 13th and no Dak extension

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Yes. That’s what dead money is. Denver has 85m in dead money they’re still paying Wilson. They’ll be paying I believe 38m this year while Wilson is playing for Pittsburgh. The two team play and he’ll actually make over 2m to play that game for the Steelers, courtesy of the broncos
So we owe him 90 million for real? 59 for this year, then 36 next year

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Yep, this is why you can’t just automatically restructure contracts to open up cap space year after year as some suggest. Eventually that catches up to you and the bill comes due.
Uhh!! So it's 59 this year and next year as a FREE AGENT, we're still on the books for 30+ million?

Aven8

Reaction score
Dak’s smartest move is becoming a FA and just keep hopping teams like Cousins. If Kirk plays out his Atlanta contract he will have made 400 million in football. What has Kirk won?

Dak’s will get the biggest contract in NFL history next offseason folks. Bank on it

mardwin

Reaction score
So he plays out this year at that big number and becomes a free agent and we STILL owe him money without doing restructuring or anything??

The contract was negotiated by the most incompetent front office in football. (No trade, no franchise tag) They gave all these concessions to a guy with 1 playoff win.

mardwin

Reaction score
Dak’s smartest move is becoming a FA and just keep hopping teams like Cousins. If Kirk plays out his Atlanta contract he will have made 400 million in football. What has Kirk won?

Dak’s will get the biggest contract in NFL history next offseason folks. Bank on it
This is true, he'll land in Washington if they don't draft a franchise QB with the #2 pick.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
The contract was negotiated by the most incompetent front office in football. (No trade, no franchise tag) They gave all these concessions to a guy with 1 playoff win.
They hoped it would be more with the contract signing they didn't know this would happen

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Stephen probably in Jerry's ear:

Dad, think about it....We have a down year, draft Deion boy and let Coach Prime come to Dallas

We'd have Amazon Prime series, Netflix series, Hulu series and Hard Knocks. So much money for me....I mean us.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Does anybody know what the consequences and schedules are for Dak and the Cowboys from here on out?
If I'm not mistaken he is a free agent after the season is over?
Is the option to be a post-June 1st Cut still alive?
Is he still due his 5 million $ bonus on March 18th?
What will his cap hit be if he plays out the season?
Can he hold out and if so does he get paid?

Thanks
I laid out the details of options in a thread just posted if you’re interested . This is most likely option:

OPTION 2: CONVERT BASE SALARY INTO BONUS AND EXTEND HIM IN SEPTEMBER

If the Cowboys and Dak can’t get a deal done in March: The front office has another option available that will essentially serve the same purpose while buying them a little time. The Cowboys can continue to do what they’ve done every year since Prescott signed his last deal and that’s converting most of his base salary into bonus money. This is just a bookkeeping maneuver to spread that base salary out over multiple years. Since Prescott has two void years on his contract, the Cowboys can spread a great majority of his $29 million base salary across three years, 2024, 2025 (void), and 2026 (void).

This, along with other looming restructures, will give the Cowboys room to operate in free agency as you can see from the above image which players are occupying the most cap space at the moment. Pulling the trigger on a Dak restructure could show that both sides are “too far apart” in negotiations and create the perception that the Cowboys are considering entering the season without giving Prescott a new deal. Prescott and his agent would need to decide just how comfortable they are playing another season without any future guarantees. What’s it going to be a year from now when other variables enter the equation, which may include a drop off in play, another playoff disappointment, and the risk of injury to his soon-to-be 31-year-old body? These variables could be enough to push the sides close enough together to get a deal done in the final hours before Week 1 kicks off on the 2024 season.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Holdouts never get paid. That’s not an option

Cap hit is 60m this season. 36M in dead money next season.

Of course he can still be a post 6/1 cut.

He is a free agent after the season.
Emmit Smith did not get paid?

Zeke did not get paid?

75boyz

Reaction score
I'm as anti SleepNumber as they come.

But I think the Joneses are gonna pay Dak, CD and Micah and continue on with business as usual the way they have always done.

JBS

Reaction score
Emmit Smith did not get paid?

Zeke did not get paid?
I don’t think you understand the question or the answer. They get paid when they play. They don’t get paid when they don’t play.

budsboys

Reaction score
Trade him while you can I know all about the no trade clause in his contract but he can be traded his cost is to much for the way he performed against good teams move on and check out Trey Lance and if he's not the answer move on and get a high draft pick we're going know where with Dak just admit it with his salary we can't afford to get the talent he needs around him to win

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
I'm kind of confused, nothing new.

Living in the South East, I don't follow / get the Cowboys per news.

This is my dumb line of thinking, and keep in mind, I'm not a Dak Hater or Dak Lover...

Dak isn't a bad QB by any means IMO although he can make some boneheaded decisions given his time in the NFL as a QB, that leaves you scratching your head, but then sometimes the coaches blow it IMO by their own bone headed decisions.

The Cowboys have an issue somewhere, be it coaching, team ownership and players in the mix.

Given today's free agency market, if I'm Jerry, it makes no sense to "blow up the team". Reality is they could be a few good players short to make a run to the SB (reality is they are always "up at the top" in the division with the Eagles it seems since Dak's been playing).

Way I see it, blow up the team and you may be at the bottom of the division for some time. Hey, take a couple of years, "develope" a new team, but guess what happens when players contracts are up? You're going to have to pay them, and then you're right back to square 1, where it seems the Cowboys are at right now.

I mean come on, there is no way the team doesn't have the money is there to bring in some people that could help?

The thing that blows me away is the it seems the rest of the division is spending money to try to help the team in the standings immediately once FA hit. I honestly have no clue what Roseman is doing spending all the money on "expensive" players, but I will say the guy has balls and would have loved to be a fly on the wall listening to him explain his line of thinking to his boss. That said, sometimes when you got balls, you're in the unemployment line LOL

Just seems stupid to blow this team up and have to start from scratch when they are so close...

I mean if Dak isn't Jerry's "guy", bite the bullet and move on. That said, not certain if Lance is the answer.

Yes, to all the issues you listed.

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
I still say Jimmy came in here, told Jerry what most of us knew about Pak Drescott, and this is the course of action needed to right the ship.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yep, this is why you can’t just automatically restructure contracts to open up cap space year after year as some suggest. Eventually that catches up to you and the bill comes due.
Correct, but they should plan for that, and add the necessary pieces while the window is open…as was the case the last few years.

These two geniuses decided that having average cap problems now instead of severe ones was worth leaving the team short on personnel during the time to win.

I still can’t figure out how they never sign free agents but still are up against it with the cap.

Whatever it is, it needs to change but that doesn’t appear likely. They’ve got this…according to them. And they aren’t even on the same damn page. Ridiculous.