Image: Surprising number of OTs available

Carson

Reaction score
See my notes section :"Did Not Report, Ravens 2021

That section was just to show previous Cowboys players.
- If he reports then they have to put him on the roster or cut him.
- Since he didn't want to be on their team, they would likely cut him.
- He was better than the veteran swing tackles that the Cowboys have had the past few years.
I trust you because you study film and break it down. But werent guy likes Broaddus saying he was a better guard than tackle?

quickccc

Reaction score
Reactions: BAT

quickccc

Reaction score
We'll probably put things off until the final cuts. Then, there'll be some candidates left to be considered. :flagwave:

To which other NFL team will have already picked over and out bid whatever was considered the better ones available ..?

It's either choosing to go with the invested scout-graded young guys you have, ..or go back into the vet pool with like Nyseke, Cam Fleming,types at that
late stage closer to the reg season., when you really have no choice but go for scraps and scrubs ..

Reactions: BAT

quickccc

Reaction score
See my notes section :"Did Not Report, Ravens 2021

That section was just to show previous Cowboys players.
- If he reports then they have to put him on the roster or cut him.
- Since he didn't want to be on their team, they would likely cut him.
- He was better than the veteran swing tackles that the Cowboys have had the past few years.

Actually i thought Cameron Ervin was playing well when he took over for an injured Brandon Knight, ..before getting hurt himself
for what turned out to be remainder of the season.

Tussinman

Reaction score
You do it now and you waste valuable salary cap room. You might be trading a backup OT for Trevon Diggs.
To be fair if you're a backup in August you're not really commanding any significant guaranteed money.

You're not wasting any cap, the only way you would spend cap is if you were worthy of a roster spot and made the final 53.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Seems simple, doesn’t it? I don’t know why some seem to not understand.
Patience is no longer in our DNA and now that extends to every single thing about this football team.
I get it.
I sympathize.

It's not exactly right, but it is what it is.

quickccc

Reaction score
Is is that complicated...he can un-retire like many players have done over the years.

ok , ..unitl he can un-retires, after he's retired.. and what's the likelihood of that ?

i'm just pointing out that i saw that it was reported that he was stepping away from the NFL game ...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ok , ..unitl he can un-retires, after he's retired.. and what's the likelihood of that ?

i'm just pointing out that i saw that it was reported that he was stepping away from the NFL game ...
Why do you think I put Did Not Report in the OP?

kskboys

Reaction score
To be fair if you're a backup in August you're not really commanding any significant guaranteed money.

You're not wasting any cap, the only way you would spend cap is if you were worthy of a roster spot and made the final 53.
Not necessarily. Most FA's get some guaranteed money.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
A lot of names on that list but they remained unsigned for a reason. You would probably feel a little better with some of those guys as a backup, but I'm sure if teams felt they could upgrade their ot standing they they would already have a team.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Not necessarily. Most FA's get some guaranteed money.
I said signficant which is true, Ty Nsekhe was like 500k guranteed and the previous year we did Cam Erving for like 700k. If your unsigned in August (along with being labeled as a backup) your not commanding signficant guranteed money

Like I said it's not really wasting cap, cowboys have almost 20 million in cap space so getting first dips on a swing tackle shouldn't be based on "oh we might barely waste a tad bit of cap assuming they can't beat out Josh Ball". Especially for a position that 1. You have consisent health issues on and 2. Is arguably the 2nd most valuable position in the entire sport

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Actually i thought Cameron Ervin was playing well when he took over for an injured Brandon Knight, ..before getting hurt himself
for what turned out to be remainder of the season.
Yes, Erving was the best of the 3 veteran Swing Tackles they had over past 5 years.
- The issue was availability.
- He has some type of health issue is that occasionally makes him unavailable.
- My guess is sickle-cell although it could be diabetes or something like that.
- In 2020 he had both the health issue and then later an actual injury.