Image: Surprising number of OTs available

817Gill

Reaction score
Their plan is to see if the young guys can do it first. These are all vets they don’t need a whole camp.

You go through these joint practices and a preseason game or so and see what you have. If they can’t handle it, then you bring in a vet for the last few weeks of camp and into the season.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Their plan is to see if the young guys can do it first. These are all vets they don’t need a whole camp.

You go through these joint practices and a preseason game or so and see what you have. If they can’t handle it, then you bring in a vet for the last few weeks of camp and into the season.
Seems simple, doesn’t it? I don’t know why some seem to not understand.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Seems simple, doesn’t it? I don’t know why some seem to not understand.
Because it’s a complete over simplification of free agency. Why bring in a DT until we see what Ridgeway and Bohanna are. Why bring in a “pick your position” until we see what the young guys are. The players aren’t going to be available. You can put a list out but that doesn’t mean the team views all of them as equal. There may only be one guy they like on that list and they may be gone at that point.

The team already should have a good idea about the guys in camp. Waletzko they didn’t but now he is banged up so they won’t really know what he is but expecting a developmental 5th round rookie from a small school to be your swing tackle would be dumb. Ball red shirted but they have had him enough to know what he might be. The others aren’t likely even in the discussion. Plus anytime you can get a player into camp early he learns the system and is better prepared to play. Why do you sign any free agent before late August? Added bonus is I f you pick the wrong guy you can cut him and bring someone else in if there are little to no guarantees.

I buy the argument if we didn’t have a gaping hole at swing tackle and a vet starter that has almost zero chance to not miss time and a 2nd OT thst while promising is still young and two years ago was horrendous so we don’t even know what he is yet. Missing on swing tackle could end our season. That is why you don’t wait.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
That list is a graveyard.

Might be a couple legit swing tackle options but only a couple.
I think DAL should absolutely consider an OT pickup when teams make Final cuts.
Keep in mind DAL had shifted to bringing in vet swing OT options then saw them play fairly poorly and fairly little.
Guys getting a decent paycheck to just go through the motions.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
We'll probably put things off until the final cuts. Then, there'll be some candidates left to be considered. :flagwave:

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Daryl Williams signed with Jacksonville yesterday....we had our chance.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i thought Brandon Knight announced his retirement from NFL ...

:huh:
See my notes section :"Did Not Report, Ravens 2021

That section was just to show previous Cowboys players.
- If he reports then they have to put him on the roster or cut him.
- Since he didn't want to be on their team, they would likely cut him.
- He was better than the veteran swing tackles that the Cowboys have had the past few years.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
That list is a graveyard.

Might be a couple legit swing tackle options but only a couple.
I think DAL should absolutely consider an OT pickup when teams make Final cuts.
Keep in mind DAL had shifted to bringing in vet swing OT options then saw them play fairly poorly and fairly little.
Guys getting a decent paycheck to just go through the motions.
Exactly.