News: SW: Seahawks QB Geno Smith admits he's holding onto the ball too long

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
One of the dumber signings of the offseason, especially when they drafted a CB in the top 10 lol

aikemirv

Reaction score
They signed him last offseason, not this one, plus gave him a new contract after he performed well for them last season.
Yeah , what a drop-of from last year for him.He has some huge roster bonus numbers for the next 2 years. They are going to be moving on if they can find a replacement.

Trey Lance for a 2024 2nd rd and a conditional 2 for 2026!!!

jwitten82

Reaction score
Something like that, lol. But he had a stat line way superior to Dak's, got them to the playoffs, and they weren't in position to draft the top QBs in the draft. You'd have let him walk and go into purgatory? I don't think most GMs would.
I would've tagged him so he can prove he wasn't a fluke

Carson

Reaction score
I have a feeling they will come ready to play tomorrow night. Their backs are against the wall.
Agreed. If they lose the next two they could be outside the playoffs.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Something like that, lol. But he had a stat line way superior to Dak's, got them to the playoffs, and they weren't in position to draft the top QBs in the draft. You'd have let him walk and go into purgatory? I don't think most GMs would.
He was crappy the back half of last year and got them nowhere, and is now 33 years old. Yes, I would have let him walk.

It'd make more sense if they went OL and WR in the first, instead of taking a CB.

lkelly

Reaction score
I would've tagged him so he can prove he wasn't a fluke
He has a $1.2M salary this season with a $10.1M cap hit. You would have opted for a $32.4M cap hit in 2023 instead just to make him "prove it?" They can cut him in the offseason with a $17.4M hit. That's still a "prove it" contract without the lump sum up front cap wise. I think the $10.1 + potential $17.4 next year was more palatable than a $32.4M crater this year. Since they don't have a lot of big dollar contracts that they could restructure, not sure how they would have squeezed an extra $22+M under the 2023 cap without losing a bunch of cheaper guys.

lkelly

Reaction score
He was crappy the back half of last year and got them nowhere, and is now 33 years old. Yes, I would have let him walk.

It'd make more sense if they went OL and WR in the first, instead of taking a CB.
They appear to have hit a home run with their first round CB. At the WR spot, Metcalf and Lockett make up the #1 and #4 cap hits. They actually did draft a WR in the first with their second pick of the round (Smith-Njigba). I'm pretty sure they wouldn't trade Witherspoon for the OTs that came off the board afterwards. Both are premium cap positions so it's not like they went RB or TE (a la the Falcons recently).