News: SW: Seahawks QB Geno Smith admits he's holding onto the ball too long

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
They appear to have hit a home run with their first round CB. At the WR spot, Metcalf and Lockett make up the #1 and #4 cap hits. They actually did draft a WR in the first with their second pick of the round (Smith-Njigba). I'm pretty sure they wouldn't trade Witherspoon for the OTs that came off the board afterwards. Both are premium cap positions so it's not like they went RB or TE (a la the Falcons recently).
Doesn't matter if the CB is good or not. If you're going to try to win with average/discounted QB play, then you have to pour all of your resources into building an offense. They went cheap at QB and then didn't do everything they could to build an environment around him. Made no sense then, makes less sense now.

What they should have done is trade Lockett, let Geno walk and either trade up for a QB last year or tank this season. They purposely put themselves in No Man's Land.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
To me Geno Smith is just like Gardner Minshew- a solid, smart backup that can win you games over the short term but not a guy you want leading your offense the entire season. He's always had limitations which is why he's never held onto a starting spot despite being in the NFL for what seems like forever.

Having said this, Seattle still has a ton of receiving options around him and the Cowboys cannot take tomorrow night for granted; as I am sure they already know.

lkelly

Reaction score
Doesn't matter if the CB is good or not. If you're going to try to win with average/discounted QB play, then you have to pour all of your resources into building an offense. They went cheap at QB and then didn't do everything they could to build an environment around him. Made no sense then, makes less sense now.

What they should have done is trade Lockett, let Geno walk and either trade up for a QB last year or tank this season. They purposely put themselves in No Man's Land.
So you think if they had skipped drafting what is probably their best defensive player and picked Paris Johnson or Darnell Wright they'd be set up for a division title this year? Would Will Levis have them rolling now? Hard to say. You rarely regret drafting a Pro Bowl caliber player, especially with a top 10 pick. Beats drafting Mo Claiborne.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
So you think if they had skipped drafting what is probably their best defensive player and picked Paris Johnson or Darnell Wright they'd be set up for a division title this year? Would Will Levis have them rolling now? Hard to say. You rarely regret drafting a Pro Bowl caliber player, especially with a top 10 pick. Beats drafting Mo Claiborne.
No, they were stupid to think that they were contenders this year regardless. But at least it's a consistent ideology as to how to do that.

But if you're going to pay a QB, then you have to put in all your resources to support that QB. A CB doesn't do that I don't care how good they are.

Carson

Reaction score
To me Geno Smith is just like Gardner Minshew- a solid, smart backup that can win you games over the short term but not a guy you want leading your offense the entire season. He's always had limitations which is why he's never held onto a starting spot despite being in the NFL for what seems like forever.

Having said this, Seattle still has a ton of receiving options around him and the Cowboys cannot take tomorrow night for granted; as I am sure they already know.
I swear Tyler Lockett feast on Dallas lol

quickccc

Reaction score
Yeah , what a drop-of from last year for him.He has some huge roster bonus numbers for the next 2 years. They are going to be moving on if they can find a replacement.

Trey Lance for a 2024 2nd rd and a conditional 2 for 2026!!!
top notch QBs don't just fall off apple trees .... just extremely so hard to get.

That's why teams " reach' for 1st round QBs ..draft a QB in 1st rd just for sake of drafting a QB.
that's why they will re-sign ( and over pay?) the Daniel Jones, ..Gino Smith ....
that's why we see major trades for QBs .. Rodgers, Stafford, Carr, Grapp, Wentz, Goff, etc.

Motorola

Reaction score

Seahawks have scored 3 ---THREE --- touchdowns on offense in the month of November = 4 games.
Their receiving options have been woefully underutilized due to the scheme of the OC and the effort of the QB.

Don't expect anything different tomorrow night.
Cowboys get the victory no. 9 ala their previous two games.

Carson

Reaction score
Seahawks have scored 3 ---THREE --- touchdowns on offense in the month of November = 4 games.
Their receiving options have been woefully underutilized due to the scheme of the OC and the effort of the QB.

Don't expect anything different tomorrow night.
Cowboys get the victory no. 9 ala their previous two games.
Correct. Their OL is and with no walker the run game is just average

lkelly

Reaction score
No, they were stupid to think that they were contenders this year regardless. But at least it's a consistent ideology as to how to do that.

But if you're going to pay a QB, then you have to put in all your resources to support that QB. A CB doesn't do that I don't care how good they are.
I guess we'll have to disagree on "paying a QB." Offering $27M guaranteed with a manageable out after 1 year (that had a whopping $10M cap hit) is quite different from the Lamar Jackson, Kyler Murray and Daniel Jones deals. It's a stopgap gamble to see if he can continue to improve and, you know, be supported by a solid defense that doesn't require him to score 30 points a game. The same way that the Chiefs, and their half billion dollar QB are winning.

I'm not going to be painted into a straw man argument that the Seahawks did the right thing to win a Super Bowl this year. I was originally responding to the poster who suggested it would have been better to franchise tag him for even more money. As it stands now, in hindsight, the only QB worth drafting in the top 5 was Stroud and I don't think the Texans were going to let him get past two. The Panthers obviously were fixated on spending everything for Young. Sometimes you just have to get lucky in the late 4th instead of going all in on a Wentz.

Motorola

Reaction score
I have a feeling they will come ready to play tomorrow night. Their backs are against the wall.
Cowboys will have another 20 points (at least) win margin tomorrow night - like the previous 5 home victories.

Last edited:

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I guess we'll have to disagree on "paying a QB." Offering $27M guaranteed with a manageable out after 1 year (that had a whopping $10M cap hit) is quite different from the Lamar Jackson, Kyler Murray and Daniel Jones deals. It's a stopgap gamble to see if he can continue to improve and, you know, be supported by a solid defense that doesn't require him to score 30 points a game. The same way that the Chiefs, and their half billion dollar QB are winning.

I'm not going to be painted into a straw man argument that the Seahawks did the right thing to win a Super Bowl this year. I was originally responding to the poster who suggested it would have been better to franchise tag him for even more money. As it stands now, in hindsight, the only QB worth drafting in the top 5 was Stroud and I don't think the Texans were going to let him get past two. The Panthers obviously were fixated on spending everything for Young. Sometimes you just have to get lucky in the late 4th instead of going all in on a Wentz.
No, when I say "Pay a QB," I am talking about those guys making $50m. It's especially true if you're going to pay a veteran less.

It's about ideology and approach, not relitigating who would/wouldn't have been worth a high pick.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Seattle and Geno are what they are at this point. Geno can't change bad habits this deep into the year. Parcells said this. After about 8 games, teams are what the record says u are. Seattle is a fair to middling squad.

Proof

Reaction score
He was crappy the back half of last year and got them nowhere, and is now 33 years old. Yes, I would have let him walk.

It'd make more sense if they went OL and WR in the first, instead of taking a CB.
witherspoon is incredible though, and they already had dk and lockett. and they STILL managed to get JSN. OL probably should have been emphasized though. I also don't think there was any way they could not re-sign geno after the season he had and the story it was.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Just told the gameplan.
Jam the WRs at the LOS, and let the DL eat.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Our pass rushers hearing that they're about to play a QB who holds on to the ball too long:

giphy.gif

Motorola

Reaction score
witherspoon is incredible though, and they already had dk and lockett. and they STILL managed to get JSN. OL probably should have been emphasized though. I also don't think there was any way they could not re-sign geno after the season he had and the story it was.
Was over at 'Field Gulls' - Seahawks fansite (SBNATION)
Many members ready to move from HC Carroll...they feel:
1) the game has passed him by;
2) His rah-rah M.O. has worn thin on a number of players;
3) Carroll's ultimate control over football operations is resulting in the team being good - but not improving overall (playoff berths 4 out of the last 5 seasons - but 3 WC losses, 1 divisional round loss).

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
3) Carroll's ultimate control over football operations is resulting in the team being good - but not improving overall (playoff berths 4 out of the last 5 seasons - but 3 WC losses, 1 divisional round loss).
"Look at all them wild card appearances. Sounds like he is GM'ing the hell out of it!"

giphy.gif