Switzer interview - staff wanted him to be a RB

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
There is no evidence to support the claim that the Cowboys wanted to get rid of Switzer. They weren't shopping him. One of the former Dallas coaches likes him so much that he convinced his new team to trade for him. If he was a problem child, that wouldn't have happened.

I don't understand why fans need to find something negative about Switzer to justify the trade. From my POV, there were no negatives about Switzer. There was only an opportunity to get a DT they liked in the 2016 draft, but didn't get to pick at that time.
I have nothing negative to say about Switzer minus his inability to identify a fair catch. And, I can't find my source that suggests he demanded his due touches, but it happened.
I'm not looking for anything negative. If he was this special catch he'd be in Dallas. But he's not.

Who cares? He's a middle of the road talent. So what the ex-special teams coach took him. If he was useful they would have kept him, but they didn't.
I don't understand why some fans need to find something positive to suggest he stays in Dallas.

Verdict

Reaction score
I think Switzer said something like this in his interview:

"I was a great receiver until I was drafted by the Cowboys. Then I listened to Dez and my IQ instantly dropped 50 points after only speaking to Dez once. I am lucky to get out of there before I became a vegetable."

Wood

Reaction score
Team has infatuation with Dunbar role (in theory because Dunbar was injured often) and DT who don't anchor particularly well but occasionally get upfield.

SloMo_Joe

Reaction score
I think this shows a lot about our staff. Dallas really drafted him to be a RB and to run sweeps? Dude is a dynamic slot receiver and great PR guy. He never returned kickoffs and never played rb at UNC. So lets draft him to play rb and return kicks. That's a great idea. He was confused as how him and Beasley could be used. So was I. Dallas never tried playing them both on the field together running underneath stuff. What is the staff's infatuation with the (dunbar role) dynamic 3rd down rb/wr? What's that guy going to get 5 touches? Leave Zeke on the field. Switzer was one of my favorite college players to watch recently and I think he has a place in this league. Dallas had a different plan for him, than using him for what he excels at as a player. I guess Tavon Austin will be our next experiment at this position.

https://247sports.com/college/north...-feeling-wanted-by-Raiders-and-more-118031958

Switzer: I don't know. That's something I'm still kind of pondering. The more I think on it, I think that they had a different plan for me than what I was capable of doing. I don't know. Looking back I had two or three rushes in the NFL before receptions and I was taking reps at running back at times. I don't know if were trying to use me as like a scat-back or what. There was a lot of talk about my high school days and being a RB and I don't think I ever fit that mold as a change-of-pace back or someone with slide sweeps and carries. I don't know if that's the plan they had for me [because] it was never spoken, but when I try to piece these things together -- that's kind of what I'm thinking. ...I think that had a little bit to do with it because I can't really think of anything else. ...I did, like coach Garrett [told] me, I did everything [asked of me] and more. I felt like that, too. I'm not really sure. That's about as good of a guess as I have.
Makes perfect sense for Dallas. Take the all time leading receiver out of North Carolina and try to convert him to RB/Gimmick Guy. What could go wrong?

irving

Reaction score
How do you figure? Austin hasn't scored a TD on punts in 2 years. Last year he had 53 yards returning punts...... Switzer had more then that on the punt he took to the house.

Did you even watch Austin the past couple of years or are you going off of name recognition
As I said Switzer has never shown anything close to what Tavon Austin. If he were all that impressive he wouldn’t be a Raider, and no I’m not going off name recognition. Like many posters here , I follow the NFL as well as college football. We can agree to disagree.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
As I said Switzer has never shown anything close to what Tavon Austin. If he were all that impressive he wouldn’t be a Raider, and no I’m not going off name recognition. Like many posters here , I follow the NFL as well as college football. We can agree to disagree.
You do realize the raiders called and wanted Switzer. They were even willing to give up a 2nd round pick that still has 2 years left on his deal to get Switzer. He is a Raider because they thought he was impressive unlike your statement. I'm not saying what I think I'm telling you the facts, don't believe me then listen to Jerry tell you

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Switzer has never shown anything close to Austin in what returns?

Austin has 1 year that he returned a better yards per average then Switzer on punt returns. Switzer had the better first year as he averaged almost 9 yards per punt return and Austin averaged 8.5. Both had 1 punt return for a TD. Now Austin had a really decent second year returning punts with 11.2 per average but has went downhill since. 3rd year he averaged 7.8 per average and 4th year averaged 7.6. Last season he averaged 4.4 per average.....0 TDs from returns the last 2 years and never scored more then 1 TD in a season from punt returns.

Now let's talk kickoff returns, I'm not sure you want to read this part because Austin is terrible in kickoff returns.

Austin
First year kickoff return yards per average 22.1 with a long of 32.

Second year averaged 9.5 with a long of 11.

Third and fourth year he barely averaged 5 yards per average with a long of 7 yards.

Last season he had one kickoff return for 13 yards.

Switzer
Averaged 25 yards per kickoff return with a long of 61. Neither Austin or Switzer scored a TD on kickoff returns.

In conclusion Austin only has 1 year better then Switzer first year in punt returns but the other 4 years are subpar compared to Switzer not only that but Switzer is by far the better kickoff return man with no questions. You said you keep up with the league but yet throw out silly comments like that

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Switzer has never shown anything close to Austin in what returns?

Austin has 1 year that he returned a better yards per average then Switzer on punt returns. Switzer had the better first year as he averaged almost 9 yards per punt return and Austin averaged 8.5. Both had 1 punt return for a TD. Now Austin had a really decent second year returning punts with 11.2 per average but has went downhill since. 3rd year he averaged 7.8 per average and 4th year averaged 7.6. Last season he averaged 4.4 per average.....0 TDs from returns the last 2 years and never scored more then 1 TD in a season from punt returns.

Now let's talk kickoff returns, I'm not sure you want to read this part because Austin is terrible in kickoff returns.

Austin
First year kickoff return yards per average 22.1 with a long of 32.

Second year averaged 9.5 with a long of 11.

Third and fourth year he barely averaged 5 yards per average with a long of 7 yards.

Last season he had one kickoff return for 13 yards.

Switzer
Averaged 25 yards per kickoff return with a long of 61. Neither Austin or Switzer scored a TD on kickoff returns.

In conclusion Austin only has 1 year better then Switzer first year in punt returns but the other 4 years are subpar compared to Switzer not only that but Switzer is by far the better kickoff return man with no questions. You said you keep up with the league but yet throw out silly comments like that

Wilson and Thompson are good returners. I think they'll be the guys the Cowboys ultimately look at, not necessarily Austin - especially if he fumbles a lot.

rpntex

Reaction score
Excuses when TAustin doesn't deliver........as a RB

When you see him lined up as a running back, then you might have a point. I don’t believe he’s going to be used in that role at all. Go back and look at what Linehan’s Detroit offenses did with Reggie Bush. He was listed as a running back, but rarely – rarely – lined up in the backfield. He was almost always in the slot or on a wing. That’s what I believe they envision for Austin as well.