Switzer interview - staff wanted him to be a RB

conner01

Reaction score
I'm not very confident that they can incorporate either, and also using past experience from this coaching staff. I have been desperately wanting this team to diversify their use of the RBs and get them more involved in the passing game other than check downs. I like the idea of scatback type RBs, but they have to be used properly and have the right skillset. I don't understand this fascination of Dunbar/Whitehead and the jet sweep gadget plays.

The more successful scatback types like Sproles, Danny Woodhead, Kamara etc. are quick, elusive and great in the short passing game, but also capable of running inside. The more successful ones do a great job running in tight spaces inside to keep teams honest, think draws and traps. I don't know if Austin is capable enough to run inside, to keep teams from shading the corners. It's going to be up to the coaching staff to figure out how to use the pieces more effectively.
I like the jet sweep just because it forces the defense to move, but you are right, you need a guy who can run between the tackles some
Not so sure Austin can do that at all

conner01

Reaction score
H
Never did liked nor understood the Ryan Switzer pick in 2017. Its not like Dallas didn't have Beasley coming off his best year 2016 to justify this pick.

Didn't understand why we needed another slot guy whose similar to what we currently have on the roster. I wanted to double dip at DE in the 4th last year and was hoping like hell Carl Lawson would be our 4th round pick (Not a fan of the Taco pick at the time) but Dallas went offense instead of adding to our first 3 defensive picks in this draft.
The pick was smart because Beasley is a free agent next year
Either he walks or gets a 3rd contract which will make him expensive

wssaustin

Reaction score
Switzer is highly overrated, I just don't understand where the hype came from in the beginning. He is too short and does not have great speed. The hype from fans make him get cute in punt returns and made key mistakes.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
And top 3 in field position yards surrendered by letting punts hit the ground that he should have fielded. Switzer had some decent returns but his plus yardage was offset by his field position yards given up, IMO. Needs to learn how to fair catch.
Post the link proving your statement

Aven8

Reaction score
I think Switzer made the Cowboys nervous because he was a risk taker as a punt returner who was willing to sacrifice ball security for a shot at a big return. That's why Beasley was put in to field punts in some situations, just as he was when Whitehead was with the team. Of course, Austin has had a few fumbling issues of his own I think.

Bologna. If that's he case than why did Bisachia trade for him? Our offensive staff and HC sucks is why he, and a bevy list of others are never used. I wouldn't be surprised if we stick with the top 3 coming out of camp this year and never use anyone else. These dudes have no creativity.

Reactions: BAT

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
The kid didn't even know what his role was, that is some bad coaching right there.

Reactions: BAT

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Switzer was our best returner. Handing him the ball was a stupid miscalculation by these coaches who are trying to get cute. Rookies need to do what they do best, he was a wr not a rb. Catching out of the backfield would have been ok but not running between the tackles.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Sorry, can’t do it. Just heard it on Dallas radio. Don’t worry though...If you want to remain a big Switzer fan, that’s cool. I think his standing with this team speaks for itself.
Oh I will be a Switzer fan as I'm a Tar Heel fan. Won't stop me from cheering for Dallas though but I have no interest in hearing the same folks that said Switzer was a bum complain that we got rid of Switzer when he produces in Oakland.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Sorry, can’t do it. Just heard it on Dallas radio. Don’t worry though...If you want to remain a big Switzer fan, that’s cool. I think his standing with this team speaks for itself.
Oh and by the way Jerry said he wasn't looking to trade Switzer, Oakland called asking for him

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bologna. If that's he case than why did Bisachia trade for him? Our offensive staff and HC sucks is why he, and a bevy list of others are never used. I wouldn't be surprised if we stick with the top 3 coming out of camp this year and never use anyone else. These dudes have no creativity.

That’s a nonsense argument because it assumes every team besides Dallas gets it right with every trade. It also assumes that by saying the Cowboys were nervous about Switzer’s risk taking as a punt return I was saying he had no value and never will. Neither of those assumptions is backed by an ounce of logic. You’re talking out of emotion, not reason.

It’s also very odd that you somehow missed that Beasley was fielding punts at times when the team needed to protect the ball and couldn’t afford a mistake. The same thing happened when Whitehead was returning punts. I dont see how anyone could miss that. Hell, until now I didn’t think anyone had.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
That’s a nonsense argument because it assumes every team besides Dallas gets it right with every trade. It also assumes that by saying the Cowboys were nervous about Switzer’s risk taking as a punt return I was saying he had no value and never will. Neither of those assumptions is backed by an ounce of logic. You’re talking out of emotion, not reason.

It’s also very odd that you somehow missed that Beasley was fielding punts at times when the team needed to protect the ball and couldn’t afford a mistake. The same thing happened when Whitehead was returning punts. I dont see how anyone could miss that. Hell, until now I didn’t think anyone had.
Beasley was never a threat in the return game. He only called fair catch.

That being said Jerry said he wasn't looking to trade Switzer and that Oakland called them wanting him. So no Cowboys weren't nervous about his return skills, hell he took one to the house and a couple were close to going all the way as well.

rpntex

Reaction score
.....if Switzer was to be a RB......that's unequivocally ridiculous. Same with Austin. Gonna be lots of laughs for opponents this year.

Switzer was never meant to be a RB, nor is Austin. Stephen did a bit of misspeak when he used the generic term "RB". More aptly, he's talking about the same role Lucky Whitehead played. That's also the role they envision for Austin, but he also has the skill set to handle a lot of what Lance Dunbar's role entailed.

The most effective thing Lucky did was the jet sweep. He demonstrated on more than one occasion that he was a threat to break a big play, which forced defenses to honor and respect the look itself when the Cowboys faked the handoff to him (giving the ball to Zeke or as play action). Go back and watch 2016 video and see how defenses reacted when they got the jet sweep look (especially after the Green Bay game, when Lucky broke one for 30+ yards) - regardless of whether Lucky actually got the ball or not.

Then watch video from last year. Switzer never drew the same respect on that look. Austin, OTOH, is a bonafide threat to break one/ Defens es will have to respect the action, whether he gets the ball or not.

He's not a RB, but the position is more of a hybrid of RB and WR.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Beasley was never a threat in the return game. He only called fair catch.

That being said Jerry said he wasn't looking to trade Switzer and that Oakland called them wanting him. So no Cowboys weren't nervous about his return skills, hell he took one to the house and a couple were close to going all the way as well.

You seem to have misread everything I said.

I didn’t say Beasley was a threat in the return game. I said he was used to field punts safely and protect the ball in some situations because Switzer is prone to taking risks.

I didn’t say they were nervous about Switzer’s return skills, I said they were nervous about him taking risks with the ball.

As for the fact the Cowboys weren’t shopping Switzer, I never said I they were.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Switzer will turn out to be an Amendola/Edleman type receiver.
I simply do not trust this coach or the front office. I trust Will McClay, but I don't trust Garrett to get the most out of McClay's picks.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
He was a rookie 4th round receiver playing behind veterans at every position.

Not much more to the story.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Kinda telling that the player didn’t know what his role was or the teams plan/vision for him. That’s bad coaching...

That is why I laugh in the face of anybody that tells me Garrett knows how to coach.

Letting players know their role and how they will fit into the overall scheme is like head coaching 101.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I think Switzer made the Cowboys nervous because he was a risk taker as a punt returner who was willing to sacrifice ball security for a shot at a big return. That's why Beasley was put in to field punts in some situations, just as he was when Whitehead was with the team. Of course, Austin has had a few fumbling issues of his own I think.

Austin has 22 career fumbles..........if you are replacing Switzer with Austin because you want better ball security.....wow

Apparently the coaches don't watch much game film, Austin is about the last person in the league you want returning kicks if you are worried about ball security.

Of course coaches not knowing what the hell they are doing is par for the course in Dallas, so no big surprise.