Switzer playing well for Pittsburgh

jrumann59

Reaction score
Didn't understand why we drafted him and then didn't seem to understand what he is as a player.
It is about "putting in your dues" with this coaching staff. Switzer should have been used in 4 WR or double slot formations. Give him 3-4 formations to master and let him run. That is all Pitt is doing. If they would have done that he would have been ready to step in for Beasley this year, this team would not have wasted a 6th on Tavon Austin. My guess is when his contract is up he will be Edelman's understudy.

dfense

Reaction score
It is about "putting in your dues" with this coaching staff. Switzer should have been used in 4 WR or double slot formations. Give him 3-4 formations to master and let him run. That is all Pitt is doing. If they would have done that he would have been ready to step in for Beasley this year, this team would not have wasted a 6th on Tavon Austin. My guess is when his contract is up he will be Edelman's understudy.
He can't hold a candle to the Bease.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
He's got 27 catches at a very low 7.9 ypr and 5 rushes for 18 yards. Ho hum. As the OP sayd, happy he's found a home, but that's not production you rue.

joseephuss

Reaction score
He's got 27 catches at a very low 7.9 ypr and 5 rushes for 18 yards. Ho hum. As the OP sayd, happy he's found a home, but that's not production you rue.

So true. He probably would be doing the same if he stayed in Dallas. The Steelers didn't suddenly create a superstar.

jrumann59

Reaction score
he is the 4th or 5th option. He needed playing time on a limited basis to acclimate himself and make the playbook his. At the pace he is going he will be close to Beasley's 2nd year numbers.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
he is the 4th or 5th option. He needed playing time on a limited basis to acclimate himself and make the playbook his. At the pace he is going he will be close to Beasley's 2nd year numbers.
Beasley had 9.4 yards per reception his second year. Switzer is a yard and a half below that (and was down at 6.8 his year in Dallas). Sure, you can squint and speculate that maybe he'll progress to the point where he looks kinda like Beasley, but I see no evidence that he has the ability to be anything close to Cole.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think they mainly got him for special teams

He's top 10 in punt return average and is 11th in kick return average.
Anything extra is a bonus

Just for perspective, Dallas has nobody in the top 30 (or even top 50?) in either category.

John813

Reaction score
I think we just didn’t like him that much.

Neither did OAK, apparently.

To be fair, Oakland has been dumping talent to tank.

they didn't like Cooper, but I think Dallas loves him now lol.

I think the Cowboys drafted him not fully understanding his pros and cons on offense. Special teams wise he took a lot of risks too.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Switzer's on a team that chucks it 45 times a game. Roethlisberger threw 56 balls yesterday. They utilize all their receivers so they just need receivers with reliable hands so I don't think it's a question of being used correctly, just serviceable. On most teams he'd probably get far less looks.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
As a rookie he was 2 years ahead of the Beasley project, so in essence, the kid showed we could have replaced Beasley with him after 2 years but no we got cute...

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think we just didn’t like him that much.

Neither did OAK, apparently.

I won't rag on this front office too much but I didn't even understand why we drafted him. I think it was to be a kick returner mostly but he's someone I would've taken in the 6th round. Unless they wanted to replace Beasley with him but even then that didn't make much sense.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I won't rag on this front office too much but I didn't even understand why we drafted him. I think it was to be a kick returner mostly but he's someone I would've taken in the 6th round. Unless they wanted to replace Beasley with him but even then that didn't make much sense.

I think that was the idea, as they were pretty reliant on Beasley the year before that draft. I think they just didn’t really like the dude and took the chance to go another direction when Lal came in.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think that was the idea, as they were pretty reliant on Beasley the year before that draft. I think they just didn’t really like the dude and took the chance to go another direction when Lal came in.
I'll say if the plan was for Switzer to replace Beasley......they just attempted to do it a year too early IMO.