T Jason Fabini

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I'm not 100% on the Fabini board because of his age, but I wouldn't be upset if we got him and this is why.

First off, it's amazing the affect Parcells' has on players. When Parcells had Fabini in 1998 as a rookie and 1999, his average sacks given up were 3.38 sacks a year. That's incredible.

After Parcells' left, his average sacks given up were 6.58 sacks a year.
The only problem I have now is, we would have 4 guys on the line (if we kept LA) who is over 30.

Larry Allen 35
Marco Rivera 34
Flo Adams 31
Ja. Fabini 32

If you sign Kevin Shaffer (who gives up an average of 4.08 sacks a year) and release LA, and pick up Taitusi Lutui, your line and age would look like this.

Taitusi Lutui 23
Marco Rivera 34
Flozell Adams 31
Kevin Shaffer 26

This would be the only reason I would not sign Fabini if I was Parcells. If you don't mind having an old line, than I'm all for it.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
I'm not 100% on the Fabini board because of his age, but I wouldn't be upset if we got him and this is why.

First off, it's amazing the affect Parcells' has on players. When Parcells had Fabini in 1998 as a rookie and 1999, his average sacks given up were 3.38 sacks a year. That's incredible.

The only problem I have now is, we would have 4 guys on the line (if we kept LA) who is over 30.

This stat is less amazing when you realize Fabini moved from RT to LT after his second year.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
If you don't mind having an old line, than I'm all for it.

I can care less how old the line is, as long as they get the job done.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Rack said:
I can care less how old the line is, as long as they get the job done.

And provided that they are developing young players behind the vets.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:

Larry Allen 35
Marco Rivera 34
Flo Adams 31
Ja. Fabini 32

Out of curiosity, weren't those the general ages of Kansas City's offensive line last year? IMO, the best oline in the NFL. I know we have some older fellas who don't play like those Chiefs linemen, but just saying.... it can happen.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
One thing that comes with age is injury. Marco Rivera, Flo, so who will it be this year? Even the great Allen had his issues a couple of years ago, that had BP riding his butt all year long.

We are trying to fix the line with old folks, I just hope we get to the SuperBowl this year, or else our line will be drawing social security. :)

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:

Larry Allen 35
Marco Rivera 34
Flo Adams 31
Ja. Fabini 32

If you sign Kevin Shaffer (who gives up an average of 4.08 sacks a year) and release LA, and pick up Taitusi Lutui, your line and age would look like this.

Taitusi Lutui 23
Marco Rivera 34
Flozell Adams 31
Kevin Shaffer 26

This would be the only reason I would not sign Fabini if I was Parcells. If you don't mind having an old line, than I'm all for it.

I think signing Fabini (sp) would be a good move if Dallas still try to get a tackle on Day one of the draft.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
junk said:
And provided that they are developing young players behind the vets.

Exactly. An older line for a couple more years is fine as long as they're getting the job done and we're trying to get some new guys in line behind them.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
DCBoysfan said:
I think signing Fabini (sp) would be a good move if Dallas still try to get a tackle on Day one of the draft.

My biggest fear is that Dallas will sign both of the Jets offensive linemen which makes our oline too darn old and ready to collapse at any second. It also means we better have a lot of young guys waiting in the wings which means we have to spend too many draft picks on offensive line and ignore a great linebacker, safety or receiver that may fall in our laps. If the Cowboys don't saturate their draft picks with linemen, then they have a line that can fall apart even worse than the second half of last year. Too risky. If the Cowboys are going free agency, at least grab one surefire young guy like LeCharles Bentley.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
If you sign Kevin Shaffer ....

Get off Shaffer -- he's a product of the system he plays in. He just doesn't fit here.

ravidubey

Reaction score
One advantage of Fabini and Mawae/Bentley is that it lets Dallas focus on a linebacker like Bobby Carpenter with that first pick.

Downside is it leaves the OL old and the LB corps very, very inexperienced.

I'd rather trade for Abraham, draft McNeill, and sign Bentley-- but of course that's greedy and maybe not even possible.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
ravidubey said:
Downside is it leaves the OL old and the LB corps very, very inexperienced.

You will always have at least 1 or 2 units that you can say either about. And we wouldn't be an old unit if we had young backups on the OL and vet LBs in the mix.

trueblue1687

Reaction score
I really think alot of you guys are getting ahead of yourselves with this age thing. Now, I readily agree that a team would be better with good, younger players...if you can find all GOOD, young players. Allen and Rivera had plenty of problems last season, and were 34-35 yoa. However, Fabini and Adams are in their early 30's and should have SEVERAL more years of service left. Injuries happen to young guys, too....it shouldn't be a shock that ANY lineman gets injured considering the fray they engage in every down. Fabini would be a GREAT pick-up...likely for 3 or 4 years, maybe a bit longer...huge improvement on the right side. We might as well give up on Bentley, that's nothing but a pipedream considering Parcells is still pretty high on Johnson. Mawae would be a BIG surprise here, too. I would look for Fabini and Sowell and that would be fine with me if they aren't REAL pricey.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
abersonc said:
Get off Shaffer -- he's a product of the system he plays in. He just doesn't fit here.
Since you like to kill all of my opinions, how about some stats.

Average Sacks given up Per year - pro-rated if started atleast 9 games.

Jason Fabini - 6.13 sacks / age = 32
L.J. Shelton - 5.14 sacks / age = 30
Kevin Shaffer-5.51 sacks/ age = 26
Tom Ashworth - incomplete, never played a full season.

Anyone else you'd like for me to look up? How about Jon Runyan that everyone likes to throw out there.

Jon Runyan - 6.80 sacks / age = 33

I'd rather have L.J. Shelton or Shaffer over your love affair with Fabini.
Shelton is younger and much better, but I'm sure you have a personal reason why your choices are better than what I always propose, since you do all of your homework and I don't.

Stats speak for themselves. I base my opinion on actual fact, while others like to spew opinions, because they developed some man crush for a player without doing the homework on them.

AmericasTeam31

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
My biggest fear is that Dallas will sign both of the Jets offensive linemen which makes our oline too darn old and ready to collapse at any second. It also means we better have a lot of young guys waiting in the wings which means we have to spend too many draft picks on offensive line and ignore a great linebacker, safety or receiver that may fall in our laps. If the Cowboys don't saturate their draft picks with linemen, then they have a line that can fall apart even worse than the second half of last year. Too risky. If the Cowboys are going free agency, at least grab one surefire young guy like LeCharles Bentley.

But if we don't get an O lineman through free agency, we still have to "upgrade" our line. Where are we gonna find lineman other than the draft. There aren't any good young lineman out there in FA to spend the money on, so we'd end up drafting them anyway. And still miss the potential "great" player who "might" fall in our laps...

burmafrd

Reaction score
Its really hard to compare stats like that with players for different teams. The QB could hold onto the ball longer; or one could be quicker to get rid of it; or be more mobile. So if the difference is only one sack a year anyone trying to say that THAT is important is frankly STUPID.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
As was already stated, Fabini has been playing LT, he is really not suited for the left side. He doesn't have very good quickness. The guy would be fine back on the right side. Petitti really looks like a young Fabini. For the right price he could be a good pickup until they can develop someone like Petitti behind him.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
Since you like to kill all of my opinions, how about some stats.

Average Sacks given up Per year - pro-rated if started atleast 9 games.

Jason Fabini - 6.13 sacks / age = 32
L.J. Shelton - 5.14 sacks / age = 30
Kevin Shaffer-5.51 sacks/ age = 26
Tom Ashworth - incomplete, never played a full season.

Anyone else you'd like for me to look up? How about Jon Runyan that everyone likes to throw out there.

Jon Runyan - 6.80 sacks / age = 33

I'd rather have L.J. Shelton or Shaffer over your love affair with Fabini.
Shelton is younger and much better, but I'm sure you have a personal reason why your choices are better than what I always propose, since you do all of your homework and I don't.

Stats speak for themselves. I base my opinion on actual fact, while others like to spew opinions, because they developed some man crush for a player without doing the homework on them.

One thing to keep in mind- sacks per attempt is a more fair comparison. Atlanta throws the ball about 20% less than average. I'm not dissing Schaffer but normally you'd rather have your LT be a finesse guy and your RT more of a mauler. But at this point we have to keep an open mind about all options and I wouldn't rule Schaffer out. But my preference would be a guy with some experience at LT in the event Flo gets hurt we won't be done for the season again.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Its really hard to compare stats like that with players for different teams. The QB could hold onto the ball longer; or one could be quicker to get rid of it; or be more mobile. So if the difference is only one sack a year anyone trying to say that THAT is important is frankly STUPID.

Someone needs to take a long look in the mirror... if he can stand it.

Anyway, we already have the youth to develop on the team (at OL). We need the vet to teach them now. I'm happy with Petitti and/or Columbo developing, but we need a guy in that spot now until they're ready.

trueblue1687

Reaction score
Rack said:
Someone needs to take a long look in the mirror... if he can stand it.

Anyway, we already have the youth to develop on the team (at OL). We need the vet to teach them now. I'm happy with Petitti and/or Columbo developing, but we need a guy in that spot now until they're ready.

You're happy with Petitti??? You must really like seeing the flavor of the week quarterback drilled, huh? I know alot of guys on here hug on him due to his dad posting here some - which IS appreciated, but...This guy is not going to be much more than a back-up...ever. Let's face facts here and move on. The guy led the league in sacks allowed along with Tucker who should be scrapped. Pettiti got by in college because he was 380 lbs or whatever and didn't face elite DEs every week- those times are over and no matter how much stronger he gets, he's just NOT QUICK ENOUGH!!! I don't know enough about Columbo to comment, but I'm for looking at ANY potential upgrade.