T Jason Fabini

Doomsday101

Reaction score
trueblue1687 said:
You're happy with Petitti??? You must really like seeing the flavor of the week quarterback drilled, huh? I know alot of guys on here hug on him due to his dad posting here some - which IS appreciated, but...This guy is not going to be much more than a back-up...ever. Let's face facts here and move on. The guy led the league in sacks allowed along with Tucker who should be scrapped. Pettiti got by in college because he was 380 lbs or whatever and didn't face elite DEs every week- those times are over and no matter how much stronger he gets, he's just NOT QUICK ENOUGH!!! I don't know enough about Columbo to comment, but I'm for looking at ANY potential upgrade.

I don't think Dallas will give up on Petitti after all that is a tough position for a rookie. I think they will continue to work with him however I see him more as a backup at this stage and think Dallas must look for an upgrade

trueblue1687

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I don't think Dallas will give up on Petitti after all that is a tough position for a rookie. I think they will continue to work with him however I see him more as a backup at this stage and think Dallas must look for an upgrade

I agree he'll probably stick around as a back-up. He should have had an EASIER time going to the right side from his original left side, since there is a perceivable lesser degree of urgency in that he isn't on the QB's blind side. I would challenge anyone to find a current starter @ OT who had such a horrible rookie season as EITHER of our Tackles. I really think Pettiti was more of a project that got forced into service due to others being injured. Kind of one of life's cruel lessons.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
trueblue1687 said:
I agree he'll probably stick around as a back-up. He should have had an EASIER time going to the right side from his original left side, since there is a perceivable lesser degree of urgency in that he isn't on the QB's blind side. I would challenge anyone to find a current starter @ OT who had such a horrible rookie season as EITHER of our Tackles. I really think Pettiti was more of a project that got forced into service due to others being injured. Kind of one of life's cruel lessons.

I agree. As for Tucker I don't have much hope left in him as a T, some have mentioned he can play guard and if that is the case I would hope to see him moved to that position

Silky1

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
Since you like to kill all of my opinions, how about some stats.

Average Sacks given up Per year - pro-rated if started atleast 9 games.

Jason Fabini - 6.13 sacks / age = 32
L.J. Shelton - 5.14 sacks / age = 30
Kevin Shaffer-5.51 sacks/ age = 26
Tom Ashworth - incomplete, never played a full season.

quote]

RE: Ashworth started week 3 in 2003 and played every game til SB. Was part of the line that didn't give up a sack throughout the playoffs that year. Played well against Kearse (w Titans) and Peppers in SB. Started first 6 games in '04 then had a back issue, ironically playing from start to finish of Pats win streak. Started 1st ten games in '05, missed 2 to knee, then started 2 at LT to end year. I think he would provide competition at RT and be a solid swing tackle if needed.

ghst187

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I agree. As for Tucker I don't have much hope left in him as a T, some have mentioned he can play guard and if that is the case I would hope to see him moved to that position

yeah, he played G in college and was the #2 Guard in the draft his year, and slipped through the cracks and goes undrafted. We pick him up immediately and announce in camp that we will move him to T. I knew he didn't have the feet for that. T and G are very different abilities. Tucker is great at teeing off and crushing people at G. That's why he was so good at S Miss. At T, this 320 lber has to do some ballet. Tucker at T was a failure from the start and hasn't gotten any better. I would've been happy to tell BP this back in 03. I've been saying it since then.

As for Fabini, I'm for getting him IFFFFFFFFFF he gives us the BP discount and comes here with a very cap friendly contract. I think he's about the best of a bad lot and there aren't any more answers in this draft. Yes we would have an OLD OL which I'm not happy about but I think we still have to keep drafting OL to develop behind them. I think signing Fabini does nothing to alleviate the fact that we have to draft at least one, maybe two OL this draft. It just means that we don't have to use as high of a pick and buys us another year or two for Pettiti to work it out. Won't hurt to resign Gurode either. I liked him at Guard an awful lot.
I don't want any stupid Rivera-type contracts this offseason. Not one of our big purchases earned their money last year. Henry would have, if he would've played in 7 more games.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Idgit said:
This stat is less amazing when you realize Fabini moved from RT to LT after his second year.

Yeh well he may be playing RT which would be pretty amazing considering what the RT gave up last season in sacks, Idgit.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
trueblue1687 said:
You're happy with Petitti???
Actually yes I am. He did a hell of a job for a 6th rounder who was shoved into playing when he wasn't ready and even played when he was hurt enough that some guys wouldn't have even dressed.

Given a full off season of getting healthy, working out, watching film, going through mini camps, training camp and pre-season he could be a decent player for us.

Do we need to cover ourselves in case he doesn't work out? Yep. Should we throw him under the bus (like some do in here on a daily basis) nope.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Larry Allen 35
Marco Rivera 34
Flo Adams 31
Ja. Fabini 32

i dont have a problem with guys 31 or 32 on the o-line...a lot of lineman play at a high level until they are 35 or so anyways. i happen to like the 30-31 yr olds more than i would like signing a 26 year old

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
Actually yes I am. He did a hell of a job for a 6th rounder who was shoved into playing when he wasn't ready and even played when he was hurt enough that some guys wouldn't have even dressed.

Given a full off season of getting healthy, working out, watching film, going through mini camps, training camp and pre-season he could be a decent player for us.

Do we need to cover ourselves in case he doesn't work out? Yep. Should we throw him under the bus (like some do in here on a daily basis) nope.
And he had never played RT. I'm all for getting a vet as a backup plan.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
Since you like to kill all of my opinions, how about some stats.

Average Sacks given up Per year - pro-rated if started atleast 9 games.

Jason Fabini - 6.13 sacks / age = 32
L.J. Shelton - 5.14 sacks / age = 30
Kevin Shaffer-5.51 sacks/ age = 26
Tom Ashworth - incomplete, never played a full season.

Anyone else you'd like for me to look up? How about Jon Runyan that everyone likes to throw out there.

Jon Runyan - 6.80 sacks / age = 33

I'd rather have L.J. Shelton or Shaffer over your love affair with Fabini.
Shelton is younger and much better, but I'm sure you have a personal reason why your choices are better than what I always propose, since you do all of your homework and I don't.

Stats speak for themselves. I base my opinion on actual fact, while others like to spew opinions, because they developed some man crush for a player without doing the homework on them.

:spanking: :hammer:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:

absolutely.

Petitti is the young guy who can develop. You don't judge a guys career based on his rookie production, especially not an OL. We have some age on the OL an soem youth who are not there yet. Its important to get solid play while also keeping some young talent around.